Golf cart requirements.

Golf cart requirements.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Golf cart requirements.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 PM

Default Golf cart requirements.

Hi. I tried to find the requirements for golf carts to be driven in the villages and on the golf courses. I'm a little confused. From what I found it is described as a vehicle with 4 wheels that goes under 20 mph, has light, turn signals, brake light, a windshield and side reflectors.

Here is my problem. I'm in the process of restoring an early 70s Harley Davidson 3 wheel golf cart, which I plan on bringing to the villages next Jan, feb and march (rental home). I plan on having all the necessary requirements the villages ask for but the coolest part of this cart is the fact that it only has 3 wheels and a steering bar.

Should I stop my project before I get to far along or is it perfectly ok to enjoy this piece of history in the villages next winter. If anyone can clear this matter up for me or point me in the right direction it would be a big help.

Thanks Paul

Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 PM

Hi Paul, I cannot answer your question but I would suggest you call the Sheriffs office and ask them.

You Don't state which village your rental home is in so here are the numbers for each county.

Sumter 352-569-1600

Marion 352-671-3841

Lake 352-259-1015

I will look out for a 3 wheeled Golf Cart next year.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 10:23 PM

Wow!! Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll give them a call and see what I can find out. Thanks again Paul.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 AM

I would love to see that!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumminelli View Post
Hi. I tried to find the requirements for golf carts to be driven in the villages and on the golf courses. I'm a little confused. From what I found it is described as a vehicle with 4 wheels that goes under 20 mph, has light, turn signals, brake light, a windshield and side reflectors.

Here is my problem. I'm in the process of restoring an early 70s Harley Davidson 3 wheel golf cart, which I plan on bringing to the villages next Jan, feb and march (rental home). I plan on having all the necessary requirements the villages ask for but the coolest part of this cart is the fact that it only has 3 wheels and a steering bar.

Should I stop my project before I get to far along or is it perfectly ok to enjoy this piece of history in the villages next winter. If anyone can clear this matter up for me or point me in the right direction it would be a big help.

Thanks Paul
For the golf course part of you question.
For more information about the Executive Golf Trail, trail fee information and all information pertaining to golf in The Villages, please visit GolfTheVillages.com or contact The Villages Golf & Country Club Administration offices at 352-753-3396.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Sage

The villages is very picky about tire size, so there is no damage to the golf courses. IMHO, make sure that your three wheeled cart has villages approved golf cart tires. Also, when you talk to the local police, double check what you need to do to have the rebuilt vehicle certified that it can not go faster than 20 mph.
One other thing, you should check with local insurance companies (we use progressive) and see if there will be any problems with insurance coverage. Even thought we were insuring a golf cart, progressive issued it as a motorcycle, no idea why.
Good luck with your project.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Default Golf Cart Tire policy for The Villages

I know for a fact there are only specific tires allowed on the golf courses and depending upon the tires they need to be on all 4 wheels or just the back 2.. Here is the policy and the link to the approved tires. NOTE most 4 wheel carts are not examined for tires before being allowed to use teh TV golf courses...but having something unusual like you propose, i would make certain you are in compliance for people will be looking !

Golf The Villages
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage

There just so happen to be a story in the Sun Sports section today about a golfer on his way to becoming a pro when he was driving a 3 wheel golf cart back in 1974 and had an accident and was paralyzed for life.

This link has info about him, but doesn't mention it was a 3-wheeler, that was in the Sun today but that story is not online yet.

Dennis Walters Story Behind the Photo | PGA.com
Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 AM

It would be fine to use your 3 wheeled cart as long as it has proper tires. Personally I wouldn't use one as they are notorious for flipping over when frightened.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumminelli View Post

Thanks Paul
On a side note, can you share a photo? I'd love to see it!
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, golf, requirements, cart, light