Golf cart requirements.

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Default Golf cart requirements.

Hi. I tried to find the requirements for golf carts to be driven in the villages and on the golf courses. I'm a little confused. From what I found it is described as a vehicle with 4 wheels that goes under 20 mph, has light, turn signals, brake light, a windshield and side reflectors.

Here is my problem. I'm in the process of restoring an early 70s Harley Davidson 3 wheel golf cart, which I plan on bringing to the villages next Jan, feb and march (rental home). I plan on having all the necessary requirements the villages ask for but the coolest part of this cart is the fact that it only has 3 wheels and a steering bar.

Should I stop my project before I get to far along or is it perfectly ok to enjoy this piece of history in the villages next winter. If anyone can clear this matter up for me or point me in the right direction it would be a big help.

Thanks Paul
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 PM

Hi Paul, I cannot answer your question but I would suggest you call the Sheriffs office and ask them.

You Don't state which village your rental home is in so here are the numbers for each county.

Sumter 352-569-1600

Marion 352-671-3841

Lake 352-259-1015

I will look out for a 3 wheeled Golf Cart next year.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:23 PM

Wow!! Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll give them a call and see what I can find out. Thanks again Paul.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

I would love to see that!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumminelli View Post
Hi. I tried to find the requirements for golf carts to be driven in the villages and on the golf courses. I'm a little confused. From what I found it is described as a vehicle with 4 wheels that goes under 20 mph, has light, turn signals, brake light, a windshield and side reflectors.

Here is my problem. I'm in the process of restoring an early 70s Harley Davidson 3 wheel golf cart, which I plan on bringing to the villages next Jan, feb and march (rental home). I plan on having all the necessary requirements the villages ask for but the coolest part of this cart is the fact that it only has 3 wheels and a steering bar.

Should I stop my project before I get to far along or is it perfectly ok to enjoy this piece of history in the villages next winter. If anyone can clear this matter up for me or point me in the right direction it would be a big help.

Thanks Paul
For the golf course part of you question.
For more information about the Executive Golf Trail, trail fee information and all information pertaining to golf in The Villages, please visit GolfTheVillages.com or contact The Villages Golf & Country Club Administration offices at 352-753-3396.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The villages is very picky about tire size, so there is no damage to the golf courses. IMHO, make sure that your three wheeled cart has villages approved golf cart tires. Also, when you talk to the local police, double check what you need to do to have the rebuilt vehicle certified that it can not go faster than 20 mph.
One other thing, you should check with local insurance companies (we use progressive) and see if there will be any problems with insurance coverage. Even thought we were insuring a golf cart, progressive issued it as a motorcycle, no idea why.
Good luck with your project.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Golf Cart Tire policy for The Villages

I know for a fact there are only specific tires allowed on the golf courses and depending upon the tires they need to be on all 4 wheels or just the back 2.. Here is the policy and the link to the approved tires. NOTE most 4 wheel carts are not examined for tires before being allowed to use teh TV golf courses...but having something unusual like you propose, i would make certain you are in compliance for people will be looking !

Golf The Villages
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

There just so happen to be a story in the Sun Sports section today about a golfer on his way to becoming a pro when he was driving a 3 wheel golf cart back in 1974 and had an accident and was paralyzed for life.

This link has info about him, but doesn't mention it was a 3-wheeler, that was in the Sun today but that story is not online yet.

Dennis Walters Story Behind the Photo | PGA.com
Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

It would be fine to use your 3 wheeled cart as long as it has proper tires. Personally I wouldn't use one as they are notorious for flipping over when frightened.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumminelli View Post

Thanks Paul
On a side note, can you share a photo? I'd love to see it!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Back in the day I owned a few of those golf cars. They worked fine on the golf course. In my opinion I think you should rethink your decision to bring it to the villages. If you can find a high speed rear end to enable you to drive it on the golf cart paths, I think it would be very unstable. They were not meant to drive 19 mph. Also, in January, February and most of March you will freeze to death without a windshield. I think you will be very disappointed in the end result. Those golf cars were fine in their day but that day is long gone. Just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
Back in the day I owned a few of those golf cars. They worked fine on the golf course. In my opinion I think you should rethink your decision to bring it to the villages. If you can find a high speed rear end to enable you to drive it on the golf cart paths, I think it would be very unstable. They were not meant to drive 19 mph. Also, in January, February and most of March you will freeze to death without a windshield. I think you will be very disappointed in the end result. Those golf cars were fine in their day but that day is long gone. Just my opinion.
Excellent advice.

Perhaps the OP does not realize that all of our carts are capable of 20mph. Going only 10-12 will create a line behind him on the street. Going 20 will make a three wheeler hazardous.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IMO the problem is not on the golf course, but getting to golf courses. You will have drive on streets, in the diamond lanes, and on the MMP. To do so you're cart IMO has to have lights, which would include minimum of brakes lights, tail lights, and head lights, I don't know if blinkers lights are mandatory, but probably are? Also the MMPs are winding with curves, IMO the three wheeled cart traveling over ten or so mph could become hazardous.

Now if you cranked it up to twenty mph will the brakes hold up? Believe it or not even modern golf carts going Twenty MPH Down paths and streets pushing the limits. Few carts are built to handle twenty plus mph with disk brakes or Four wheel breaking and beefed up systems. Star, par, and gem golf carts come to mind and of course the new atomic carts. I didn't include Yamaha, club cars, or other brands that just have rear wheel brakes? IMO Rear wheel brakes not enough for carts going 20 PLus MPH.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

I am not sure if they are legal or not, but my initial thought has been brought up by others. Those things can roll over very easily. There is a reason they stopped making them. And they roll over easy before being modified to do 20 mph and being driven on pavement. An accident waiting to happen. Stay safe!
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, golf, requirements, cart, light

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.