Golf clubs for noob, rent or buy

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Default Golf clubs for noob, rent or buy

I played once when I was 14, that seemed like enough. My wife has never played.

Having moved to TV, it seems we should give golf a chance and see if we like it.

In order to give it a reasonable chance I expect we should take lessons and play at least once a week or so for a few months.

I assume kicking the ball would not work well, and so would you recommend in this situation renting bags, clubs and all that stuff (we have no idea what all that stuff is yet).

Or would you recommend buying a USED set of reasonable/good quality "stuff".

Or would you recommend buying a new set of cheap stuff.

If we purchase stuff and decided later that it is not for us, how much of the purchase price could we expect to recover? (I assume there is a lot of used stuff on the market here).

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:17 PM

I’m in the same spot. I’m going to buy a used cheapo set and see what happens...
Old 10-01-2019, 04:20 PM

First, attend “The Good Golf School.” About 3 hours of you time. Well worth the time. Then go to Palmers or Sarasota and inquire about their “testing” program. You can try different sets for a period of 90 days, if I remember correctly, for a very small fee that can then be used toward a purchase if you so decide to. Better than buying a set that is old or doesn’t fit you at all.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Above was the best advice, go TV Good Golf Class, it’s fun and informative.

Good Golf School

Last edited by N44125; 10-02-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Another beginner here. Attended the " Tee times made easy" at the monthly Lifestyle expo today (very informative and well done). I suspect this is an abbreviated version of the Good golf class.

The reservation system is a little overwhelming at first but very logical once understood so this class is essential.

An additional opportunity is the new to golf program.

Golf The Villages

Thanks MSchad for the tip on the testing program.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Another beginner here. Attended the " Tee times made easy" at the monthly Lifestyle expo today (very informative and well done). I suspect this is an abbreviated version of the Good golf class.

The reservation system is a little overwhelming at first but very logical once understood so this class is essential.

An additional opportunity is the new to golf program.

Golf The Villages

Thanks MSchad for the tip on the testing program.
I was in that presentation also.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Don't pay a lot of money for clubs unless you make a serious commitment to the sport. One of the very sad things about the Villages is that good people are passing away every day. Pick up a decent set of clubs at an estate or garage sale for next to nothing and give the sport a try. If you get hooked and want to make a serious commitment, then look into a good set of clubs. Dip your toe into the water before you dive in.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Don't pay a lot of money for clubs unless you make a serious commitment to the sport. One of the very sad things about the Villages is that good people are passing away every day. Pick up a decent set of clubs at an estate or garage sale for next to nothing and give the sport a try. If you get hooked and want to make a serious commitment, then look into a good set of clubs. Dip your toe into the water before you dive in.
Thanks, that was kind of my feeling.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

In my opinion golf equipment is among the overrated things in the world. Equipment companies spend countless millions of dollars in an effort to convince golfers that they can shave strokes off their game by getting rid of that outdated five year old set and getting the new improved game changing set of clubs. If most golfers improved several strokes every time they bought new clubs they would largely be shooting below par by now (which is not happening). Go to globalgolf.com and search among their used golf sets. They are all rated by users, and you can get about anything you want, by manufacturer, right or left hand, steel or graphite shaft, even longer or shorter than standard. I have bought clubs through that site and they have come in excellent shape with little noticeable wear. You really don't want to rent clubs at $15 per round in my opinion, unless you simply want to try the game for a couple rounds. Good luck, it is a great game and social opportunity, but be prepared for some extra frustration in your life.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Good advice. If you are like me playing with $600 clubs is a waste. A beginner violinist doesn't need a Stradivarius. Buy something used for around $150 and go give it a shot.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

There is usually a set of clubs or more for sale on this website every week. If you want quicker selection and not spend on new, there is Play it Again Sports in Leesburg on 441 across from what use to be the mall. It's less than 15 miles from Colony to give you an idea.

https://www.playitagainsports.com/locations/leesburg-fl

The Villages Florida
Old 10-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Right on. I bought a set of used clubs and a golf bag for $20 at the Market of Marion. If I get hooked I'll upgrade but for now $20 is a hard to beat deal.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Good advice. If you are like me playing with $600 clubs is a waste. A beginner violinist doesn't need a Stradivarius. Buy something used for around $150 and go give it a shot.
Good advice.

Being a beginner Cellist (2 years now) I can say that a beginner violinist (or cellist) also does not want a $50 Amazon/Chinese instrument. It would make it harder to learn. Instead a well made entry level instrument.

That is my "fear:" since I know knowing about golf, are CHEAP clubs a bad thing? Is there a minimum entry level quality that if you go cheaper you are just going to be frustrated?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

You can buy a new set of golf clubs, including the bag, at Walmart for $95. That is probably all you will need to play the executive courses. You can always add a special club or two later. I think it is better to buy new clubs instead of used because the new clubs will incorporate the latest technology in weight and geometry.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Sent you a pm
Closed Thread

Tags
stuff, recommend, chance, give, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.