Golf Course etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

When you do venture on to the Championship courses please don't do what I see all too often: A foursome all goes to one individuals ball, waits for that player to hit and then goes to the next players ball. You should always be thinking about your next shot and if you are not in the "line of fire" from another player, go to your ball and be ready to hit when clear.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Default You are part of the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
See my post #24
Steve
Suggest you reread my comment which clearly says "If the hole in front of you is open...." I'm reading the back of scorecards from Glenview & Lopez, under etiquette, both say 4:15. That's what I said allowing a few minutes for the turn. As Rich42 said: "if u think 4 hrs and 26 mins is the "expected" pace of play, then u r obviously part of the problem!" I do not see your other comments on the cards.
Maybe you should either move up to the tee box from which you can reach the green in regulation OR play on the exec courses. Further, remember if each player wastes just 15 seconds when it's his turn to hit, that adds to a minute lost for a foresome at the tee box and every shot thereafter. That can result in 5 minutes per hole. And remember, your pace affects EVERY group on the course behind you and at the turn.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Default Excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
When you do venture on to the Championship courses please don't do what I see all too often: A foursome all goes to one individuals ball, waits for that player to hit and then goes to the next players ball. You should always be thinking about your next shot and if you are not in the "line of fire" from another player, go to your ball and be ready to hit when clear.
Great advise! Also add, at the tee box have your club in your hands and be ready to step up and hit with minimum delay.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:09 AM

The score cards have the minimum time per hole on them. Each hole has a time from the beginning of the nine. That is what the ambassadors utilize for their comments on slow play to you. Good golf etiquette says you play 'ready golf' (meaning each player goes to {or finds} their ball and begins preparation for next shot as long as they are not in another players way). When it is your turn to hit, step up and hit, you should have already analyzed the lie, the distance, and the wind. If you are welll out of the way of other players, proceed wilth your shot as soon as possible. Your speed should be 'keeping up with the group in front of you' (assuming the same size group). You will NEVER receive a complaint from the ambassadors or players behind you for playing in under 4 hours. With everyone playing within their ability at the proper tees (not the macho tees), 3½ hour rounds could be the norm (more than 10 minutes average per hole with time for restrooms and water).
Old 10-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Letting a group play through may seem like it would speed up play but it usually doesn't unless there is a broken down cart or some other rarity.The fact of the matter is a slow group is slow for a reason. Play ready golf. If you are at your ball and you can take your shot safely ,take it. In the fairway drop a player at the first ball and go to the second ball and be ready to hit when it's safe .Waiting for the away person to shoot is not necessary . On the green be at your ball and be ready to put when it's your turn. Concede short putts and don't mark your ball unless necessary. Upon leaving the green get to your cart and drive to the next tee quickly. Mark your scores down at the next tee. These are little but can save a minute or two on a hole which can add up in 18 holes. I realize as we get older mobility can become an issue and fast play may be difficult for some so the Reasonable Accommodation (RAT tag)might help some players. The goal is to enjoy ourselves so if the slow players can try to be ready and the fast players be patient we might just have an enjoyable round.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Under the new PGA rules you have 3 minutes to look for a lost ball
The 3 minute rule was established by the USGA and the R&A.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

The executive tee time system has starts on the average every 9 minute (Seems to range from 8 to 10) and yet the score cards suggest i.e. 1Hr 30 Min or mostly 1 Hr 45 Min. I realize that some courses may be longer, have more par 4, or require more walking from the Cart Path, however , if starts are every 9 minutes, the 1 Hr 45 Min pace is never going to be possible. Especially in the prime season every one needs to pace at 1Hr 30 Min or less. That needs to be understood by all golfers. 1 group of golfers can slow every on down. New golfers might be prodded by Ambassadors to speed up or skip a hole, but why set an unrealistic pace on the golf card?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:24 PM

4 hours and 26 minutes per round on a championship course equates to nearly 25 minutes per hole. Not sure this is too long for a foursome but it is for sure if you are a twosome.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pribish View Post
4 hours and 26 minutes per round on a championship course equates to nearly 25 minutes per hole. Not sure this is too long for a foursome but it is for sure if you are a twosome.
266 /18 is fifteen not 26
Old 10-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
25 minutes per hole equals 7hrs 30mins for 18. That's a long round! Maybe you can expect that on Bethpage Black
But not here.
Steve
Old 10-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,479 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Not sure about the math.

4 hours and 26 minutes = 266 minutes /18 =14.77 minutes per hole.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 03:50 PM

I think the average round is actually 4 hours and 15 minutes. Your group needs to keep up with the group in front of you....3 min max looking for a ball
Closed Thread

Tags
players, faster, golf, normal, politely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.