Golf Course etiquette

Golf Course etiquette

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Golf Course etiquette
  #1  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Martian's Avatar
Martian Martian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 295
Thanks: 66
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Default Golf Course etiquette

Noob here with another question.

As we are preparing to take Good Golf course and lessons, etc. One thing I am a little concerned with is I don't want to be "in the way" of faster players.

Do players get upset at slow players - or is it normal to just let some "play through" (politely)?

I have no problem with letting other faster players go ahead of me at any tee.

Is this an issue? Is it normal? I would think with this many "old" people, some would be slower than others.
__________________
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. --George Orwell
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:23 AM
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 423
Thanks: 1
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Noob here with another question.

As we are preparing to take Good Golf course and lessons, etc. One thing I am a little concerned with is I don't want to be "in the way" of faster players.

Do players get upset at slow players - or is it normal to just let some "play through" (politely)?

I have no problem with letting other faster players go ahead of me at any tee.

Is this an issue? Is it normal? I would think with this many "old" people, some would be slower than others.
Listen to the Ambassadors. If you have a question on course, ask an Ambassador. Tee times are set, don't let anyone play through without the OK from an Ambassador. believe it or not, there is some order to the way things are done and the way Ambassadors do their job, contrary to the belief of some. Usually on an exec there shouldn't be any reason to let someone play through, especially in the winter when courses are more crowded.
Steve
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anothersteve For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Slow
  #3  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM
alwann's Avatar
alwann alwann is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Village of Gilchrist
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Slow

Trust me, if you play the exec courses, especially in the high season, even you will be complaining about how slow the pace is. As a beginning player, just remember you can always just pick up your ball and move on. Don't worry about the score.

Also, avoid booking tee times at the level 3 & 4 courses initially. You'll learn about the ratings in the Good Golf School.

By the way, what's a "noob?" Do you mean Newbie?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alwann For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:45 AM
baustgen baustgen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 1 Post
Default

As a golfer who plays frequently, I have no problem with beginners on the executive courses. We all started somewhere. The good school will go over the Good Golf rules. My suggestions are 1. Pick the ball up when your stroke count is twice the par. 2. Do not look for a lost ball more than 5 minuts. 3. Get off the green when you are done. 4. Look at the hole in front of you. If there is no on it, you are playing to slow. Speed up by skipping the tee off. Drive up to the hole, drop a ball on the green, put out, and catch up. If there is still no one on the hole ahead, skip the hole completely. We all thank you for being considerate.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to baustgen For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:51 AM
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 423
Thanks: 1
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
As a golfer who plays frequently, I have no problem with beginners on the executive courses. We all started somewhere. The good school will go over the Good Golf rules. My suggestions are 1. Pick the ball up when your stroke count is twice the par. 2. Do not look for a lost ball more than 5 minuts. 3. Get off the green when you are done. 4. Look at the hole in front of you. If there is no on it, you are playing to slow. Speed up by skipping the tee off. Drive up to the hole, drop a ball on the green, put out, and catch up. If there is still no one on the hole ahead, skip the hole completely. We all thank you for being considerate.
Good advice, and will be discussed in the Good Golf School. It would sure help if everyone thought like that.
Steve
Reply With Quote
Time to look for lost balls
  #6  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Fredman's Avatar
Fredman Fredman is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Posts: 600
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Time to look for lost balls

Under the new PGA rules you have 3 minutes to look for a lost ball
__________________
GO STEELERS
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fredman For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 10-05-2019, 09:00 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,126
Thanks: 5
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

That's why on an earlier thread of yours I mentioned, don't go to a championship course for at least a year. That's the biggest complaint at those courses. My foursome can play 18 holes in as little as 3 hours, we did that two weeks ago Evans Prairie when no one was in front of us. Normally it takes 4 hours if were playing behind other foursomes, like we did yesterday at Cane Garden. It's when our round takes 4 plus hours it gets to be a problem. That's why it's so great having the executives here at TV. Just imagine all the beginners at that championship courses. Most cities and towns you're lucky to find an executive style course. They're might be one in the whole city.

On the executives I mentioned don't play until you've gone to the driving range for a couple of weeks, you don't even know how far each club will go. If the hole is 130 yards, do you know what club to use. You're learning an entirely new sport. It's not like bowling, where you own the lane. There are groups going out right behind you. Keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2019, 09:04 AM
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 423
Thanks: 1
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Expected pace of play on champs is average 4hrs-26mins. One should always expect that, anything less is gravy.
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,949
Thanks: 2
Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
...By the way, what's a "noob?" Do you mean Newbie?
Heh.

noob=newb=newbie
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2019, 09:48 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,126
Thanks: 5
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Expected pace of play on champs is average 4hrs-26mins. One should always expect that, anything less is gravy.
Steve
That's what the marshall will tell you so you'll quit complaining. That time is way too long unless you're a pro and are playing $1,000 a hole. We quit complaining years ago. Yesterday I shot an 80 from the white tees from Jacaranda to Allamanda, and that included 5 three putts. If I could putt I be doing good. Two others in my group shot in the 70's, we move at a good pace.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
players, faster, golf, normal, politely

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.