Golf Course etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Default Golf Course etiquette

Noob here with another question.

As we are preparing to take Good Golf course and lessons, etc. One thing I am a little concerned with is I don't want to be "in the way" of faster players.

Do players get upset at slow players - or is it normal to just let some "play through" (politely)?

I have no problem with letting other faster players go ahead of me at any tee.

Is this an issue? Is it normal? I would think with this many "old" people, some would be slower than others.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post

As we are preparing to take Good Golf course and lessons, etc. One thing I am a little concerned with is I don't want to be "in the way" of faster players.

Do players get upset at slow players - or is it normal to just let some "play through" (politely)?

Is this an issue? Is it normal? I would think with this many "old" people, some would be slower than others.
Listen to the Ambassadors. If you have a question on course, ask an Ambassador. Tee times are set, don't let anyone play through without the OK from an Ambassador. believe it or not, there is some order to the way things are done and the way Ambassadors do their job, contrary to the belief of some. Usually on an exec there shouldn't be any reason to let someone play through, especially in the winter when courses are more crowded.
Steve
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Slow

Trust me, if you play the exec courses, especially in the high season, even you will be complaining about how slow the pace is. As a beginning player, just remember you can always just pick up your ball and move on. Don't worry about the score.

Also, avoid booking tee times at the level 3 & 4 courses initially. You'll learn about the ratings in the Good Golf School.

By the way, what's a "noob?" Do you mean Newbie?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:45 AM

As a golfer who plays frequently, I have no problem with beginners on the executive courses. We all started somewhere. The good school will go over the Good Golf rules. My suggestions are 1. Pick the ball up when your stroke count is twice the par. 2. Do not look for a lost ball more than 5 minuts. 3. Get off the green when you are done. 4. Look at the hole in front of you. If there is no on it, you are playing to slow. Speed up by skipping the tee off. Drive up to the hole, drop a ball on the green, put out, and catch up. If there is still no one on the hole ahead, skip the hole completely. We all thank you for being considerate.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
As a golfer who plays frequently, I have no problem with beginners on the executive courses. We all started somewhere. The good school will go over the Good Golf rules. My suggestions are 1. Pick the ball up when your stroke count is twice the par. 2. Do not look for a lost ball more than 5 minuts. 3. Get off the green when you are done. 4. Look at the hole in front of you. If there is no on it, you are playing to slow. Speed up by skipping the tee off. Drive up to the hole, drop a ball on the green, put out, and catch up. If there is still no one on the hole ahead, skip the hole completely. We all thank you for being considerate.
Good advice, and will be discussed in the Good Golf School. It would sure help if everyone thought like that.
Steve
Old 10-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Time to look for lost balls

Under the new PGA rules you have 3 minutes to look for a lost ball
Old 10-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

That's why on an earlier thread of yours I mentioned, don't go to a championship course for at least a year. That's the biggest complaint at those courses. My foursome can play 18 holes in as little as 3 hours, we did that two weeks ago Evans Prairie when no one was in front of us. Normally it takes 4 hours if were playing behind other foursomes, like we did yesterday at Cane Garden. It's when our round takes 4 plus hours it gets to be a problem. That's why it's so great having the executives here at TV. Just imagine all the beginners at that championship courses. Most cities and towns you're lucky to find an executive style course. They're might be one in the whole city.

On the executives I mentioned don't play until you've gone to the driving range for a couple of weeks, you don't even know how far each club will go. If the hole is 130 yards, do you know what club to use. You're learning an entirely new sport. It's not like bowling, where you own the lane. There are groups going out right behind you. Keep that in mind.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Gold member

Expected pace of play on champs is average 4hrs-26mins. One should always expect that, anything less is gravy.
Steve
Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
...By the way, what's a "noob?" Do you mean Newbie?
Heh.

noob=newb=newbie
Old 10-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Expected pace of play on champs is average 4hrs-26mins. One should always expect that, anything less is gravy.
Steve
That's what the marshall will tell you so you'll quit complaining. That time is way too long unless you're a pro and are playing $1,000 a hole. We quit complaining years ago. Yesterday I shot an 80 from the white tees from Jacaranda to Allamanda, and that included 5 three putts. If I could putt I be doing good. Two others in my group shot in the 70's, we move at a good pace.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's what the marshall will tell you so you'll quit complaining. That time is way too long unless you're a pro and are playing $1,000 a hole. We quit complaining years ago. Yesterday I shot an 80 from the white tees from Jacaranda to Allamanda, and that included 5 three putts. If I could putt I be doing good. Two others in my group shot in the 70's, we move at a good pace.
Pace of play is dictated by tee times. Look on the score card under
"Etiquette"
I like to play fast myself, but if tee times are full I expect minimum 4hrs.
Steve
Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post

Some solid direction here;

arnold palmer. while we're young. - Bing video
Old 10-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
We are new to golf, thanks for the guidelines. We already read if we can’t sink it in 6 strokes take the 6 and be on our way. We are only playing level 1 courses and won’t step up for a while. My wife and I love the huge holes on the greens, doesn’t mean it’s easy but it sure beats the smaller holes for a beginner.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Under the new PGA rules you have 3 minutes to look for a lost ball

Villagers following PGA rules Yea Ok!
Old 10-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Tags
players, faster, golf, normal, politely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.