Golf Course etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
As a golfer who plays frequently, I have no problem with beginners on the executive courses. We all started somewhere. The good school will go over the Good Golf rules. My suggestions are 1. Pick the ball up when your stroke count is twice the par. 2. Do not look for a lost ball more than 5 minuts. 3. Get off the green when you are done. 4. Look at the hole in front of you. If there is no on it, you are playing to slow. Speed up by skipping the tee off. Drive up to the hole, drop a ball on the green, put out, and catch up. If there is still no one on the hole ahead, skip the hole completely. We all thank you for being considerate.

As of January 1, 2019 the new time limit for looking fro a lost golf ball is three minutes.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Golf in TV has rules?
Not very apparent out on the courses (executive courses).
Old 10-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

OP, raking sand traps, fixing ball marks and fixing divots are part of golf etiquette. Unfortunately, I see a lack of it especially on the executive courses.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:56 AM

To othersteve......if u think 4 hrs and 26 mins is the "expected" pace of play, then u r obviously part of the problem!
Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 AM

Great suggestions!
Old 10-07-2019, 06:01 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Go to the range, and write down how far you hit each club. Then make a little cheet sheeet and paste it on your steering wheel of your cart. You can refer to it while you are playing until you are comforable knowing all your yardages.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Noob here with another question.

As we are preparing to take Good Golf course and lessons, etc. One thing I am a little concerned with is I don't want to be "in the way" of faster players.

Do players get upset at slow players - or is it normal to just let some "play through" (politely)?

I have no problem with letting other faster players go ahead of me at any tee.

Is this an issue? Is it normal? I would think with this many "old" people, some would be slower than others.
The pace of play on the executive golf courses is generally good. There are times when it is slow and more often than not it’s because some people appear to be oblivious to the other folks
In front or behind them.
Two big problems are:
1. Sorry girls but you are the worst offending party when it comes to standing around having discussions
Such as where do we go to lunch or who had the most serious health issue of the day or who has the smartest best looking grandkids.
2. The other big problem and perhaps the absolute worst is the Easter Egg Hunters. These folks are not happy just looking for their own ball hit out of bounds but they hold up pace on every hole looking to add to their collection
Another five gallon bucket of other peoples list golf balls.
The vast majority of folks out having a good time are polite and even if never informed on course etiquette, are aware of their responsibility to keep up the pace. It’s the rude idiots who stand around blabbing and hunting for balls that create huge unnecessary backups.
The ambassadors will sometimes try to politely get them moving but if you ask
the ambassadors they often will tell you they could loose there job or have a complaint filed against them so they end up doing little more than offering you water and saying have a nice day.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Noob here with another question.

As we are preparing to take Good Golf course and lessons, etc. One thing I am a little concerned with is I don't want to be "in the way" of faster players.

Do players get upset at slow players - or is it normal to just let some "play through" (politely)?

I have no problem with letting other faster players go ahead of me at any tee.

Is this an issue? Is it normal? I would think with this many "old" people, some would be slower than others.
You have already completed the first and most important part. You care about it. We thank you.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
To othersteve......if u think 4 hrs and 26 mins is the "expected" pace of play, then u r obviously part of the problem!
Look on the back of the scorecards, that will tell you "expected" pace of play, (mainly during the winter) and funny.......it says that under "etiquette". When tee times are full expect your round to take "at least" four hours. Like I said anything less than four is gravy. If you are rushing, and get annoyed at the people in front of you who can't play any faster because of the people in front of them etc.........you are part of the problem and should stay home.
Steve
Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's what the marshall will tell you so you'll quit complaining. That time is way too long unless you're a pro and are playing $1,000 a hole. We quit complaining years ago. Yesterday I shot an 80 from the white tees from Jacaranda to Allamanda, and that included 5 three putts. If I could putt I be doing good. Two others in my group shot in the 70's, we move at a good pace.
I hate you! Just kidding. I only wish......
Old 10-07-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Expected pace of play on champs is average 4hrs-26mins. One should always expect that, anything less is gravy.
Steve
Take a better look at the times on the score cards. Glenview & Lopez both list 2:06 for every 9 holes & that equals 4:12 (typical of all courses)! If the hole is open in front of you and the group behind is waiting for you to hit, then you are behind and should pick up the pace.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Default Nice shooting, John

I ALWAYS shoot in the 70's & 80's. It's too hot to play when its in the 90's and too cool when it's in the 60's.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbbb View Post
Take a better look at the times on the score cards. Glenview & Lopez both list 2:06 for every 9 holes & that equals 4:12 (typical of all courses)! If the hole is open in front of you and the group behind is waiting for you to hit, then you are behind and should pick up the pace.
See my post #24
Steve
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Good advice, and will be discussed in the Good Golf School. It would sure help if everyone thought like that.
Steve
Yes, & besides it doesn’t cost you anything for you to play, you pay amenities weather you play golf or not, so slow playing people. Look ahead at next hole, if nobody is playing it skip a hole or look behind you, if you you see people on 2 or 3 greens behind you your playing way to slow. So don’t let your ego tell you that you’re better than you think you are. Nobody will think anything bad about you if you skip a hole or let someone play thru.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default How far I hit each club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Go to the range, and write down how far you hit each club. Then make a little cheet sheeet and paste it on your steering wheel of your cart. You can refer to it while you are playing until you are comforable knowing all your yardages.
I agree with what you are saying for a single digit handicapper, however, for a new golfer that could provide more frustration than you already have if you write down your best effort with a given club and use that on the golf course. I’m currently a “bogey golfer” from the senior tees (sometimes worse) and yardage by clubs makes little difference because I’m so inconsistent as I aged, especially with my iron play. Let me be clear, I totally get what your saying as you need to know that you hit a nine 120 yards when hit solid and a five wood 175 yards, etc. Yes, you should write down your yardage with each club. My suggestion to a new golfer is to hit an extra club more , i.e. 8 iron, when one out of 6 or 7 tries you hit a nine iron about 120 yards on the driving range. Most golfers (except very low handicappers) don’t use enough club and come up short. Taking more club and a more controlled swing will help you improve your game. A Pro told me this more than once and it is very good advice for most of us golfers.

Last edited by justjim; 10-07-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
players, faster, golf, normal, politely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.