Golf Courses Not Friendly to Junior Golfers

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Question Golf Courses Not Friendly to Junior Golfers

Last Friday I took my 14 yo Granddaughter (she's 5' 10", played competition sports for 6 years , loves golf) and her Dad with me to golf one of the Level 1 courses. Made a really early tee time. There was a foursome ready to tee off after us, so we had them tee off before us. No one was behind us. My GD is going to play high school golf this year. By the time we were on the third fairway the people in front of us were two holes ahead. Still no one behind. Also by that time the course ambassador had visited us twice telling us to speed up. When he visited us at the 4th tee (still no one behind) my Granddaughter became so anxious she was literally sick. We left the course and took her back to our house. She understands pace of play and it would have been an issue had we held someone up. We didn't. After paying $11 to play and $4 to ride (twice) AND obeyed all of the Rules of Golf, I wonder about America's Friendliest Home Town. I love TV, but I'm not sure about the title.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbush View Post
Last Friday I took my 14 yo Granddaughter (she's 5' 10", played competition sports for 6 years , loves golf) and her Dad with me to golf one of the Level 1 courses. Made a really early tee time. There was a foursome ready to tee off after us, so we had them tee off before us. No one was behind us. My GD is going to play high school golf this year. By the time we were on the third fairway the people in front of us were two holes ahead. Still no one behind. Also by that time the course ambassador had visited us twice telling us to speed up. When he visited us at the 4th tee (still no one behind) my Granddaughter became so anxious she was literally sick. We left the course and took her back to our house. She understands pace of play and it would have been an issue had we held someone up. We didn't. After paying $11 to play and $4 to ride (twice) AND obeyed all of the Rules of Golf, I wonder about America's Friendliest Home Town. I love TV, but I'm not sure about the title.
Play here often???

The ambassadors go by the times printed on the scorecard, he would have told you the same thing if it was a foursome of 60 somethings. It has nothing to with anybody behind you. Just what do you consider "unfriendly" about enforcing the rules?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Not enough info..........what was your speed of play?? What was the group ahead of you speed of play??
Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Platinum member

To fall two holes behind a foursome smacks of taking mulligans, conducting on-course lessons, playing wrong tees, and not picking up the ball when excessive strokes have been played.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 06-26-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

As long as your pace of play was within the norm nothing should have been said. The only time my four was accused of slow play was at Hawk's bay. A single was sent ahead of us which we asked for. We were told at the 2nd hole we were playing to slow and we should be on the singles heels. This happened two other times in 3 weeks. Found out the following week he was no longer working there. I have noticed there is no communication between ambassadors and the starter shacks unless the ambassadors stop by.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Not friendly

I don't understand from the OP's post whether his foursome was off pace or simply two holes behind because the group in front was playing ahead of pace. Most ambassadors are pleasant people. But some ambassadors lack common sense. I recall being grilled by an ambassador because two holes were open in front of us when, in fact, it was that way when we teed off.

Anyone who feels an ambassador treated them rudely or was inconsiderate should let the course head pro know.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Gold member

1)the times are on the score card showing how far along you should be. 2)your GD needs to toughen up if she so easily upset by an ambassador and you should have checked to see if the ambassador was correct. If the ambassador was correct then you needed to pick up the pace(and it matters not whether or not anyone is ahead or behind...rules are rules. As an athlete(by your admission)your GD should know this. If you were not behind the posted time on the score card you should have pointed it out to the ambassador...
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Platinum member

A threesome behind after a couple of holes tells me that you were playing way to slow.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 PM

The "ambassador" was completely out of line for pressuring this family to speed up their play when in fact they were not holding anyone up who were following them. "Rules are rules" argument is bull!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
The "ambassador" was completely out of line for pressuring this family to speed up their play when in fact they were not holding anyone up who were following them. "Rules are rules" argument is bull!
Right. Let's teach the 14 year old girl to feel entitled that the biggest problem in golf doesn't apply to her.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Sage
Default Executive course

Unless something has changed executive courses do not have pace of play per hole.

The most shocking thing I saw was that an ambassador on an execute course actually said something
Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Unless something has changed executive courses do not have pace of play per hole.

The most shocking thing I saw was that an ambassador on an execute course actually said something
Page 4
http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...e.pdf?v=032917
Old 06-26-2017, 02:14 PM

The biggest problem in golf at this community is old "fuddy duddies" living here who seem to want everything their way!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

The pace of play “time par” is listed on each scorecard.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
The biggest problem in golf at this community is old "fuddy duddies" living here who seem to want everything their way!
I am old, but consider myself more of a curmudgeon than a fuddy duddy. Fuddy duddies are lightweights.

Tags
golf, tee, time, play, visited

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.