Golf Courses Not Friendly to Junior Golfers

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
REALLY! No one behind them. Grandfather out with his granddaughter probably teaching her a thing or two about golf is bullied by an ambassador whose life depends on having control over people because he has nothing else. Where's the compassion for that family. That's the problem in today's world, people have no compassion for anything that represents love, family or respecting others. Why disrupt a family from having a great experience and memory when what they were doing wasn't holding up anyone or disrupting play. If there is a rule on that circumstance then they need to take another look at it and instruct their Ambassadors forthwith.
Seriously????? "Compassion"????

If they want compassion, join the slow golfers support group. If they want to play golf, keep up with the pace of play.

I played both high school and college golf, and believe me, the granddaughter is NOT going to find any "compassion" out there.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM

That's what I like about you GE. You tell it like it is. Straight and to the point with just that right touch of comic relief.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 AM
Gold member

The title of the thread suggests that the group was targeted by the ambassador for criticism because of a junior in the group. Even if the ambassador was too outspoken, it seems that the grandfather misread the situation when his granddaughter got so upset.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyane Johnson View Post
The best solution to any unpleasant experience on a golf course is to seek out the Facility Manager responsible for that course. He needs to know the experience so that he can find out why and take the appropriate action with his team. He is responsible the the employees. If he doesn't know, he can't fix it. I had an experience that was not pleasant and I spoke with the facility manager, he was very professional and handled the situation to my satisfaction. At least I felt like I had a voice other than posting to a forum.

I'd proceed cautiously. Was the Ambassador abusive? Did he use profanity or was he otherwise disrespectful? Does asking a group to speed up play rise to the level of his possibly losing his job?

No follow up from OP. Could be grandpa needs to look in the mirror? Children that age are easily embarrassed by adults' behavior. In this case, I think the adult may have been grandpa. Just sayin'
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Eternal Member

I always am a little skeptical when someone's first post is complaining about something in the Villages and then they never come back on. I think pot stirrers like to say something that will get everyone all worked up and then sit back, read all the posts and laugh.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran member

Let's encourage breaking Rules of Golf and simple etiquette on the courses because no one is watching. That's how "The Entitled" generation was created wasn't it. (I can do anything I want, when I want to)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I always am a little skeptical when someone's first post is complaining about something in the Villages and then they never come back on. I think pot stirrers like to say something that will get everyone all worked up and then sit back, read all the posts and laugh.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyane Johnson View Post
The best solution to any unpleasant experience on a golf course is to seek out the Facility Manager responsible for that course. He needs to know the experience so that he can find out why and take the appropriate action with his team. He is responsible the the employees. If he doesn't know, he can't fix it. I had an experience that was not pleasant and I spoke with the facility manager, he was very professional and handled the situation to my satisfaction. At least I felt like I had a voice other than posting to a forum.
Excellent post, the management should have been called if the experience was indeed handled poorly. Problems can not be addressed if they are not reported. To many people go to this forum before trying to fix the problem. The story get twisted on here and can spin out of control.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
To the OP, if your granddaughter has played golf for a while and is going to play on her HS golf team...it seems to me that she knows what she's doing and may not have been the problem.

Not really enough info here, but I'm wondering if it was you or her father...that contributed to falling so far behind?

Regardless, pace of play is something that needs to be enforced more often at our courses... IMHO.

I always try to keep in mind a saying that my first golf mentors drilled into me.

'Your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you...not just ahead of the group behind you."
I'll say it again. That's a great general premise, but what if the group in front of you is playing at supersonic speed?

It's not that simple. If an ambassador sees that a group is holding up play, they should say something. They also should look at the time the group started and see where they are on the golf course. It's pretty easy to compute nine minutes per hole, giving and extra four minutes for a par four. If the group is on pace and the group in front of them is way out in front, the group in front is playing faster than normal.

If there is no one behind them, why is there a need to say anything?

The same thing would apply if the group was on pace and the group behind them was playing faster than the normal accepted pace. In that case, the if there is no one in front, the faster group should be invited to play through.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Wow. If I EVER get arrested for something around here and it goes to jury trial.... I would pray that the jury pool be 12 ToTVrs. I mean it would be a hung jury EVERY time. Can always count on widely differing opinions, and verdicts, here on so many Threads.

Not saying anyone is in the wrong - simply opinions vary by huge degrees. A to Z.

Kinda fun reading all this - and at the same time kinda scary.

But, almost wants me to commit a crime...
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Wow. If I EVER get arrested for something around here and it goes to jury trial.... I would pray that the jury pool be 12 ToTVrs. I mean it would be a hung jury EVERY time. Can always count on widely differing opinions, and verdicts, here on so many Threads.

Not saying anyone is in the wrong - simply opinions vary by huge degrees. A to Z.

Kinda fun reading all this - and at the same time kinda scary.

But, almost wants me to commit a crime...
Not as many people who are just......moderate any more, it is one extreme or the other. I don't think that is good.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'll say it again. That's a great general premise, but what if the group in front of you is playing at supersonic speed?

It's not that simple. If an ambassador sees that a group is holding up play, they should say something. They also should look at the time the group started and see where they are on the golf course. It's pretty easy to compute nine minutes per hole, giving and extra four minutes for a par four. If the group is on pace and the group in front of them is way out in front, the group in front is playing faster than normal.

If there is no one behind them, why is there a need to say anything?

The same thing would apply if the group was on pace and the group behind them was playing faster than the normal accepted pace. In that case, the if there is no one in front, the faster group should be invited to play through.
I agree. Only concern yourself to keep pace with the group in front of you. Never focus on the four some behind you worrying about getting to the 19th hole for the start of happy hour! Some things are blown far out of proportion.

Last edited by DonH57; 06-29-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, tee, time, play, visited

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.