Golf etiquette is dead

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2021, 06:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendy View Post
So who do you think fills divots, repairs ball marks, picks up broken tees and trash, fills sand bottles, replaces rakes in traps, etc???
Don't forget picking up cigarette butts.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:27 AM

It boils down to respect for the game and others. Either you have it or you don't. Some of the comments made here makes that delineation obvious. Now leaving this thread
Old 08-12-2021, 09:10 AM
Send a message via ICQ to willis100 Send a message via AIM to willis100 Send a message via Yahoo to willis100 Send a message via Skype™ to willis100

If I play alone, I do this and have been encouraged by ambassadors to do it because they see what is happening. It is a great way to practice and I have never held anyone up doing it on either type of course. Executive courses are not sanctioned by USGA and if you play alone on a championship course, you cannot turn that score as a ginn entry. If I am alone, it's a practice round and I will practice different things using a couple of balls not hurting anyone as I repair divots and ball marks, rake traps, and all the other things golfers should do.

Last edited by willis100; 08-12-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
I've played in many fivesomes (our home course allowed it, if they knew you), all walking and playing ready golf, where we were constantly waiting on threesomes using carts in front of us. It really boils down to understanding that - "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you."
Thanks. I've just never saw it before but I don't get out much!
Old 08-12-2021, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
I've played in many fivesomes (our home course allowed it, if they knew you), all walking and playing ready golf, where we were constantly waiting on threesomes using carts in front of us. It really boils down to understanding that - "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you."
Bully for you. But you are wrong. If you are playing at a reasonable pace, established by the course (i.e. the greens committee, the board, the pro, whoever has been given the authority to establish it), then it doesn't really matter how fast other people want to play.

I don't know how fast your foursome or fivesome play. Doesn't matter to me. If you want to race around in 2 hours, go for it. It has no bearing whatsoever on how fast anyone else should play.
If you are behind me, and pushing me, unless the rules of the course forbid it, I would gladly let you play through. Happy to do it. For reasons of their own, the TV courses don't want us to do that, so, if you are behind me, in a hurry, and I'm on the time par or under it, too bad. You just have to relax and enjoy the day.
Your pace is your pace. It's not my pace, and it poses no obligation to me to duplicate it. Likewise the group in front of me.
As long as my group is good on the clock, we are good.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Bully for you. But you are wrong. If you are playing at a reasonable pace, established by the course (i.e. the greens committee, the board, the pro, whoever has been given the authority to establish it), then it doesn't really matter how fast other people want to play.

I don't know how fast your foursome or fivesome play. Doesn't matter to me. If you want to race around in 2 hours, go for it. It has no bearing whatsoever on how fast anyone else should play.
If you are behind me, and pushing me, unless the rules of the course forbid it, I would gladly let you play through. Happy to do it. For reasons of their own, the TV courses don't want us to do that, so, if you are behind me, in a hurry, and I'm on the time par or under it, too bad. You just have to relax and enjoy the day.
Your pace is your pace. It's not my pace, and it poses no obligation to me to duplicate it. Likewise the group in front of me.
As long as my group is good on the clock, we are good.
Bravo!!

Last edited by stanley; 08-12-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
politely, hit, ball, etiquette, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.