Golf etiquette is dead

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2021, 03:11 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Not trying to start an argument but, couple weeks was talking to ambassador on a Champs course, he told us they have eliminated the time sheets. At least he wasn’t recording any times.
Maybe at his course..............(what course?).but not where I work
Old 08-10-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
He was a single we were a twosome. He was not keeping up. We caught up to him and had to wait for him to tee off twice on each hole.
Since you were a twosome, and he was a single, I would guess this was in the afternoon when courses are not as crowded. Would not see this in the morning wave or likely early in the afternoon wave. See lots of pairs and singles in the mid Afternoon in Hot weather. Best if folks just relax and play to the speed of those in front of you.

It is not whether he was keeping up so you did not have to wait, it is if he was keeping up to the group in front of him. I have had starters and Ambassadors suggest I hit an extra ball here and there at this time of day, would not do it when course is full.

I would suggest you either join up, or you might hit an extra ball or practice a little chipping/ putting also. More fun for all of you then waiting in your cart on the next T Box.

Relax and enjoy. Too hot to hurry anyway.

Last edited by gdennis317; 08-10-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:40 PM

Would not be that disrespectful to the group behind us. This creates a "pile up" effect. Simple fix- 1 person, 1 ball
Old 08-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Would not be that disrespectful to the group behind us. This creates a "pile up" effect. Simple fix- 1 person, 1 ball
It only creates a pile-up effect on the people behind you, if the people ahead of you are faster than you are.

One golfer with 2 balls is going to be faster than a foursome. So if he had a foursome ahead of him, everyone behind him STILL would have had to wait for that foursome, even if the single played two balls per hole.

As long as the single ahead of the OP was keeping up with the people ahead of HIM - all is well.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's not just common sense and bad etiquette, it is a violation of USGA rules and The Villages rules:

https://www.golfthevillages.com/what...eeDropArea.pdf

I would have asked an ambassador to tell him to stop playing two balls.

Agree should of just toll ambassador if and when came by.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Again playing today, the guy in front of me hitting 2 balls on every tee. I politely asked him to only hit one ball as the course was getting backed up. He ignored me and continued. A few holes late I again asked him very politely. He said that the people in front of him were slow so it didn’t matter if he hit 2 or 10 ball on each hole. This is really getting out of hand. There is no more etiquette apparently. Might as well join them as you obviously cannot beat them.
It’s not you’re job to police course. It’s the ambassador’s. Just tell the ambassador he’s one that has the authority. Confront some AHs and you’ll be in shouting match. Occasionally I see someone taking mulligan which ok IMO. But not in every hole. In you’re case this guy probably shot under par picked which shots he liked the best.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It only creates a pile-up effect on the people behind you, if the people ahead of you are faster than you are.

One golfer with 2 balls is going to be faster than a foursome. So if he had a foursome ahead of him, everyone behind him STILL would have had to wait for that foursome, even if the single played two balls per hole.

As long as the single ahead of the OP was keeping up with the people ahead of HIM - all is well.

Golf course is not practice range, plus it’s just more wear on fairways and green’s. don’t matter if he has to wait, there are rules in place when on course. But, I can see how some don’t know or follow rules.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Could have invited him to join you.
Seriously? Gonna ask him to play with you? So you would have to endure this dude playing two balls into the hole in your group? Not happening
Old 08-11-2021, 04:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Relax, you're retired

First off I don't think anyone has any real schedule to go anywhere, secondly I would not approach anyone and complain directly that's what the ambassadors are for. Lastly don't you think if someone is not playing according to rules they should be some kind of penalty imposed?
Old 08-11-2021, 04:56 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Agree should of just toll ambassador if and when came by.
Sounds like the OP was on an executive course and most ambassadors have no authority to stop them from hitting more than one ball as long as they were keeping up.
I have several ambassador friends that I have golfed with and they have gotten into some messy confrontations from golfers not applying proper etiquette such as keeping up with the group in front of them, raking bunkers, fixing divots, ball marks, etc...
Just be patient and have an extra birdie shot....
Old 08-11-2021, 05:05 AM

Call the club how and tell them what's going on. If a group is not keeping up with pace an ambassador will have the slow group pick up and move forward.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:07 AM

You may have been faster than pace. If that is the case then your are wrong.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:18 AM

If the next hole was not open, then why should he hurry? If he hurries, and you hurry, then there are two groups waiting on next hole. He can only go as fast as the group in front of him. If the hole in front of him was opened, then yes you have reason to be concerned.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:42 AM

Would have mentioned it to Ambassador, and let him deal with it. Hitting two balls off the tee, is ridiculous !
Old 08-11-2021, 05:46 AM
Veteran member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanC View Post
If the next hole was not open, then why should he hurry? If he hurries, and you hurry, then there are two groups waiting on next hole. He can only go as fast as the group in front of him. If the hole in front of him was opened, then yes you have reason to be concerned.
Agreed! I can’t really understand this post. If he was solo and had a group of 4 ahead of him and he even told you, when you questioned him, that the group ahead of him were still there? IF the group was NOT still there then I see your point but he’s a solo player. How can him playing 2 balls take more time than if he were a group of 2, 3 or 4?
Closed Thread

Tags
politely, hit, ball, etiquette, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.