Priority membership for 'snowbird' question

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Default Priority membership for 'snowbird' question

Hello

We visited TV for a week last year and we're coming down for 4 months this year (hoping the wife, who doesn't golf, likes it enough to make the move permanently from Mass)

I've found lots of helpful info here but couldn't find anything specific on this.

My question is, would it make sense for me to get the 6 month PM to assure myself the best chance to get a time? I hope to be playing at least every other day, would prefer playing on the championship courses and will be going out solo at least until I find a group that can tolerate me.

Or will it make little difference in being able to get times as long as I book as a single.

I'm also wondering about getting in with a regular league/group for my time down there (we'll be staying in 2 different houses in different areas during our stay) do they have league sign up sheets or is it basically word of mouth?

Any and all help is appreciated.

I promise to rake, repair and play ready golf as I plan on playing these courses for a long time.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2019, 01:50 PM

1. As a single I don't think you will have any problem getting teetimes so don't get the PM for that reason alone.
2. But if you play every other day, thats a lot of golf so crunch the numbers to see if the PM for 6 months will pay for itself if you are only here 4 months. (look at the greens fees to determine how much less you pay per round if you are priority).
3. Most groups are word of mouth. Also many of the groups will only allow people who have Priority membership.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

We used our home as a vacation home for a couple of years (a/k/a part-time). I golfed a lot as a single. I never had time jumping in and playing. I loved playing with so many different people.

I would say no to priority membership.

I would suggest you sign up for the online tee time service. It's $8 per month. The day before you want to play (or two days & three days prior) you can look at open tee times and join a group. The system will tell you how many openings there are for each tee time on each course.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-23-2019, 02:59 PM

We have a group called THE BANDITS we play all championship courses you must have a priority membership. We are scheduled to play Glenview Friday Between 7 and 8 if you want to come visit the groups leader and they will fill you on all the details. Come to Glenview restaurant we all sit accross from the bar....All the waitresses know us......or if thats not possible you can private message me with your phone number and I will fill out the details. We play 3 times a week. We have 20 guys scheduled for Friday to play.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:25 PM

Mens league is Tuesdays. Must ha a Villages GHIN handicap
Old 10-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgolf View Post
Mens league is Tuesdays. Must ha a Villages GHIN handicap
Are you referring to Tuesday Men’s Day on champ courses? If so, you need Priority Membership, right?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you're a single, you don't want priority in putting in for a teetime, you don't want to put in a request unless you want to keep playing by yourself. Once you join the teetime system, $8 a month on villages.net. You can grab an open teetime up to 3 days before play, this way you can put your name in with a threesome or twosome, that once you play 18 holes might lead to a playing group.

Here's an example. You want to play a championship on Friday. On Tue or Wed on the teetime website you scroll down to the course and times you want to play. Let's say you want to play Belle Glade about 1pm, scroll down the times and you see a threesome at 1:14, put your name in and now you're playing with that group.

I play in a foursome every Friday. It started in 2011 with just my neighbor and myself. In 2015 a retired Army sergeant played with us and we asked if he wanted to play every Friday with us, and he said yes. He is also in a group on Tuesday, my neighbor has played with that Tuesday group for the last couple of years. Two years ago a retired Navy Pilot who lives in LaBelle played with us, he is from Hawaii and my neighbor used to live in Hawaii, so I asked him if he wanted to play every Friday with us, and he said, yes. So now we have a foursome of the same 4 guys every Friday for the last two years. There's many ways to find groups, besides playing with other twosomes or threesomes. You might find a neighbor where you're living. When I first moved here I played softball, so before I met my neighbor I played with a couple of guys from the softball team.

I used 1pm for example, for a few reasons. From May through December after 11am championship golf is discounted. We pay $34 up until Dec 31st, before 11:00 you will pay $42, that's the resident rate without Priority. With PM you would save only $7. We generally play Palmer, Mallory, Havana, Cane Garden, Belle Glade, Bonifay and Evans Prairie and sometimes Glenview. I live in Tamarind Grove off St. Charles and can get to everyone of those courses in about 15 minutes in my golf cart, Glenview is about 25 minutes. I'm also not an early person, I don't like playing on wet grass or morning dew. I don't mind the heat, I grew up in Florida and never went to a school with air conditioning. Also in the winter when rates are much higher, we sometimes only play nine holes, you can't play just nine holes until 1:00 or later in the winter. So afternoon golf is perfect for us.

None of us are priority members, if you play in the morning when times are not so spread out, you mind find them asking you if you're a priority member if they consider having you join them. In the afternoon, no big deal. I generally put in a request for the following Friday when I come home on Friday from playing. I request 3 or 4 courses at 1:00 to 1:36 and 90% of the time we get our first choice of course and 1:00, just like this week. We're playing Mallory (Amelia) @ 1:00pm.

Morning teetimes are more condensed because teetimes end at 9:28 and don't resume until 11:56 except on two 18 hole courses, Orange Blossom and Tierra Del Sol. All the courses we play are 27 holes and have a starter and exact same teetimes at each nine. So you can play a different 18 holes at the same course for three days. Because of this overlap of nines, they have the time between 9:28 and 11:56 as no teetimes, because players are making their turn to the back nine, they call it the wave, morning, afternoon and evening waves. Playing golf here is fun, you get to go to the course in your cart, you don't have to travel far, and the courses aren't that tough for the most part, we don't have hills, and very seldom blind shots. There is a lot of water and sand, but that's the tropical aspect which is nice.

Last edited by John_W; 10-23-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM

Thanks guys, some great info here.

I'm renting down there this winter so I won't be down until Dec. Anyone know if I would be considered Resident Member or Resident Guest when it comes to the green fee? I ran the numbers as guest and it seemed to make sense going with the priority and something like the Bandits sounds good. With the priority I assume getting the full set of courses is the way to go rather than only 3 or 4.

I was wondering what the "wave" was all about, makes sense. I do prefer getting out early.

Now, if I did go without the priority and got into a group, would I need to have priority if they have it or does just one person need it in order to reserve a time for a foursome?
Old 10-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
We used our home as a vacation home for a couple of years (a/k/a part-time). I golfed a lot as a single. I never had time jumping in and playing. I loved playing with so many different people.

I would say no to priority membership.

I would suggest you sign up for the online tee time service. It's $8 per month. The day before you want to play (or two days & three days prior) you can look at open tee times and join a group. The system will tell you how many openings there are for each tee time on each course.

Good Luck!!
Good advice! As a single you can find many courses available three days out at a time you favor. I also like to join other people who were not my friends until I played with them - almost never have found anyone who is unpleasant on the courses. As far as playing in groups, many villages or neighborhoods have regular groups and most will welcome a snowbird to join the group while here. I am in Sanibel in Megan Villas, and we have a Tuesday group which I play in when there, and there are renters who join us. Great opportunity to make new friends and hone your game.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 PM

All of our players have a priority membership. Once in a while a member brings a guest in to play with us. Under the priority if even one guy is not a priority member it knocks the whole group out of there requested tee times. Our group normally plays 3 times a week and we always are looking for tee times start at least 7:30 AM
Old 10-23-2019, 09:13 PM

If I were you I would call the Golf Office to get the official information from them on how the priority system works. Get it from the horses mouth so there is not any confusion. I think you can rech them at 352 750-4558.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

And when you get here attend the Good Golf School, then ask them.
Steve
Old 10-24-2019, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

We used to play a lot of golf when we first came here. Our experience was that it was extremely rare to find a group that didn't require a priority membership. As others have mentioned, if one person in the group is not priority, the computer puts the whole group in the lowest tier and the group gets whatever the leftover tee times are.. and in the high season, the group won't get a tee time at all. Occasionally, even with everyone being a priority member, the group might not get a tee time in the high season. So if you are hoping to be in a group, you better get the membership. We played as singles for awhile, but really enjoyed the social aspect of playing with the same people (in a group) once we started doing that. Men's and Ladies day are a wonderful opportunity to meet people, and often groups are formed based on these new friendships, or you might be invited to join a group. Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
We used to play a lot of golf when we first came here. Our experience was that it was extremely rare to find a group that didn't require a priority membership. As others have mentioned, if one person in the group is not priority, the computer puts the whole group in the lowest tier and the group gets whatever the leftover tee times are.. and in the high season, the group won't get a tee time at all. Occasionally, even with everyone being a priority member, the group might not get a tee time in the high season. So if you are hoping to be in a group, you better get the membership. We played as singles for awhile, but really enjoyed the social aspect of playing with the same people (in a group) once we started doing that. Men's and Ladies day are a wonderful opportunity to meet people, and often groups are formed based on these new friendships, or you might be invited to join a group. Enjoy!
The following link takes you to the document that explains the system. The points for the four players are averaged, not taken to the lowest.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...heVillages.pdf
Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the number I'll call them tomorrow.

I was laughing at that Good Golf School post until I clicked the link above. No one told me I'd have to study to make a tee time.

I'm thinking priority is probably the way to go as I don't want to be the guy to hurt the group score. Plus I can tell the wife I need to get out as often as possible in order to make it worth it.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, make, playing, find, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.