Golf Course Best Practices - Sand Traps

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2021, 06:02 PM
Default Golf Course Best Practices - Sand Traps

For the benefit of all golfers, want to use this post to begin a "best practices" at TV's courses. Having worked in the Golf Division for 3 years, the goal is for the golfing experience to be the best for each and every golfer. No doubt this has probably been covered in past threads and may be available in print as well, but with the steady influx of new residents, perhaps this will be constructive. Today is sand traps specifically, where and how to replace a sand trap rake.

Ambassadors are tasked with placing rakes into the traps with the end of the handle
touching the very edge of the trap and grass. That is, the rake is essentially perpendicular to the trap. Each golfer is asked to please put the rake back into its correct position after having used it. Rakes left outside the traps can be a safety issue and can be an impediment for the flight of a ball. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

It would be nice if people did many things that are singularly specific to golf courses, but having done the ambassador thing...played here for 8+ years(for the past 2 playing 7 days/wk)I can say to you...good luck.

It's been my practice for years when playing with others to rake their bunkers, put sand in the divots and fix pitch marks on the greens...I don't say a word. Sometimes they don't remember(you are after all dealing with age issues) and other times they just don't plain care. Some do it improperly out of spite. I no longer try to explain the reasoning...it doesn't matter to some and others forget you've said anything. Some actually see the ambassador doing it so think they don't have to. I have also seen plenty of ambassadors not bother to do it. I've seen ambassadors drive onto tees to sand the divots(a bad example to the golfers)and right up to bunkers...the 30' rule should apply to the ambassadors for tees, bunkers and greens as well.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Actually, that's useful information even if some won't bother to do it. I did not know that was the preferred location. I've played many courses and some leave the rakes in, some out, and some on the edge.
As far as the Villages courses, since I have never been the first one out on the course in the morning, I usually find them all over the place. Now that I know, I'll endeavor to do it correctly.

thanks for the information
Old 08-16-2021, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

I am new to golf, less than a dozen games, also I have not been able to get to the 'good golf' meeting/course, so is there a printed copy I could get?
Old 08-16-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

This time of year, be careful picking up a bunker rake. The handle can get darned hot. Actually burned my hand grabbing one on a 90-plus degree day.
Closed Thread

Tags
traps, sand, rake, trap, rakes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.