Golf Shop

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Golf Shop

I've always tried to patronize small independently owned golf shop. I have been going to Jim's Golf Shop and recently was disappointed to find that it has been sold to Edwin Watts.

So now I'm looking for a golf cart accessible golf shop here in The Villages.

The only other shops I've seen are not cart accessible.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

What's wrong with Edwin Watts?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Sage

I don't like big corporations that deal in specialty businesses. They're way too concerned with profit margin and lose sight of what's best for their customers.

I want a golf store that I can have a relationship with. You can't do that with Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith or any of the other big box retailers.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

That's sad to hear about Jim's. I liked the place.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Gold member
Default Actually you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't like big corporations that deal in specialty businesses. They're way too concerned with profit margin and lose sight of what's best for their customers.

I want a golf store that I can have a relationship with. You can't do that with Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith or any of the other big box retailers.
but you have to be willing to start up a relationship with them first.

I've heard way to many people claim that mom and pop operations are more personal. It may be true to a small extent, but in the long run if you get to know the business people you will get as good(or better service)and more choices.

I dealt with Jim's and was quite happy till I had some young man try to explain how his -10years of experience meant more than my 50+ years experience. An arrogant prick was what he was and so sure of his dealings with village golfers he couldn't recognize a real golfer if it smacked him in the head with a 1 iron. Not surprising Jim sold out.

Don't limit your choices because you "think" big businesses only think about the bottom line. In some cases that might be true, but in many it's a local person trying to succeed.

I'll bet you don't own a car by a small company, or buy groceries, or buy clothes, etc. etc. etc.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

Hmmm, have you thought about driving your cart to the Sarasota Custom Club Shop at Moyer Loop and Morse? I'm in there all of the time when I'm down that way; they have a nice selection of equipment and accessories and the people that work there are great to work with.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
I've always tried to patronize small independently owned golf shop. I have been going to Jim's Golf Shop and recently was disappointed to find that it has been sold to Edwin Watts.

So now I'm looking for a golf cart accessible golf shop here in The Villages.

The only other shops I've seen are not cart accessible.
Much to my chagrin I came by that information when I came in to have three clubs re-gripped. The guy doing the work was most disagreeable because he didn't like the grips I wanted refused at first to re-grip the clubs and when the store clerk said they would order them the guy refused to let me leave my clubs there because "he had no room" which meant another unnecessary trip to drop them off. I asked to speak to Jim and that's when I was told they were now Edwin Watts.

I share your concern because I have dealt with Edwin Watts before. as you may know they closed their store at Wedgewood Lane about 2 years ago
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Much to my chagrin I came by that information when I came in to have three clubs re-gripped. The guy doing the work was most disagreeable because he didn't like the grips I wanted refused at first to re-grip the clubs and when the store clerk said they would order them the guy refused to let me leave my clubs there because "he had no room" which meant another unnecessary trip to drop them off. I asked to speak to Jim and that's when I was told they were now Edwin Watts.

I share your concern because I have dealt with Edwin Watts before. as you may know they closed their store at Wedgewood Lane about 2 years ago
I have been a seven year loyal customer of Jim's. Not happy about the new arrangements . I too am looking for a close in independent operation.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 AM

Don't be too quick to judge. Edwin Watts offered all existing Jim's staff members full time opportunities with benefits so they could keep the great service and customer service that made Jim's a great place. Come in and see for yourself before believing rumors. At our age--we should have learned NEVER to assume!! I love all the people that work there and have been in several times and it looks better than it was before.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Hmmm, have you thought about driving your cart to the Sarasota Custom Club Shop at Moyer Loop and Morse? I'm in there all of the time when I'm down that way; they have a nice selection of equipment and accessories and the people that work there are great to work with.
I agree.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Sage

The problem with the big box retailers is that there are too many directives from the top. People sitting in offices in their corporate headquarters that have experience as buyers or accountants in other industries are directing the people at the front lines on how to run a golf shop. Unfortunately, they look at the Wal Mart model in terms of success in retailing.

I've been through this and seen it from both sides of the counter. Jim's has a sign in the window that says, "We are not Dick's". Well, they've just taken the first step to becoming more like Dick's.

I warn people all the time to stay away from Dick's. Edwin Watts is a bit better, but they have grown into a corporate giant that does not serve the needs of golfers.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I've been down there several times, but I haven't been into the shop. I played golf with a guy one day who told me that he went there regularly to take lessons using TrackMan. He showed me the new Callaway irons that he just bought there because the pro told him that he would hit the ball two clubs longer with them. He spent nine holes with me making doubles and triples while trying to show me how far he could hit his irons. In fact, he hit the about the same distance I did but had no control over them. On most holes, he came up short of the green.

This experience made me a bit leery to trust the pros at Sarasota Golf Center. I got the feeling that they are more interested in selling a set of clubs than helping golfers.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:47 PM

I've been going to Jim's since they opened, always thought they were great. I went there a couple of weeks ago because I broke my shaft on my Callaway Great Big Bertha driver (Kuro Kage flex-r) the salesmen at Jim's said Callaway won't replace. Told me he had to special order the shaft at a cost of $250.00. Told them I would think about it. I called Callaway, they said no problem would send me a new shaft. I also asked them what the price would be if I were to purchase the shaft, he said between $100.00 to $125.00. Received new shaft from Callaway a week later at no cost. I'll buy nothing but Callaway. Jim's has lost my business.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

The store in Southern Trace is open.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Platinum member

If you are driving your car, what about Birdie's Golf on 466?

Tags
golf, shop, accessible, cart, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.