Golf Shop

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've been down there several times, but I haven't been into the shop. I played golf with a guy one day who told me that he went there regularly to take lessons using TrackMan. He showed me the new Callaway irons that he just bought there because the pro told him that he would hit the ball two clubs longer with them. He spent nine holes with me making doubles and triples while trying to show me how far he could hit his irons. In fact, he hit the about the same distance I did but had no control over them. On most holes, he came up short of the green.

This experience made me a bit leery to trust the pros at Sarasota Golf Center. I got the feeling that they are more interested in selling a set of clubs than helping golfers.
If you would like to know the name of the Pro at Sarasota that I've used when I need a small adjustment and who my wife uses that has gotten her hdcp. from a 12 to an 8, PM me.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
If you would like to know the name of the Pro at Sarasota that I've used when I need a small adjustment and who my wife uses that has gotten her hdcp. from a 12 to an 8, PM me.
It's no secret who the golf professionals at Sarasota are. They are Joey Hidock and Tom Talbot. I'm sure that they are competent instructors and have helped many people with their golf games.

I just related one story that made me a bit leery about the operation. I don't know if it was one of them or if there are other golf professionals there. But IMHO, the guy that I played with was sold something that he didn't need and was convinced of something that wasn't going to help him. It's possible that this guy wanted the clubs and was asking them which ones would hit it further. I only know one side of the story.

It's quite possible that a golf professional can be competent and help people and also sell. I've never been one to push merchandise onto people. My feeling was that I was there to help them select what was right for them. Sometimes people would buy the wrong stuff in spite of my recommendations. Golf equipment company marketing is very good and can influence people in miraculopus ways.

Like I said, I only heard one side of the story, but I know that when you go into a Dick's, Edwin Watts, Golfsmith or any of those stores the people working the floor are interested in selling you as much stuff as possible regardless of your needs. You'll find that they will also steer you to certain products because of profit margin and bonuses being paid to them by the company they work for and/or the manufacturers.

There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes of the golf business that most people don't know about.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM

I had great luck with the PGA Superstore when I lived in Denver. Great variety and knowledgeable staff. Not sure about the store in Orlando but the store I frequented had lots of computerized hitting bays and hundreds of demo clubs, a large putting green and many putters. They discounted frequently and took used clubs (that are marketable) in trade. Huge store and fun to hang out in. JMHO.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I share your concern because I have dealt with Edwin Watts before. as you may know they closed their store at Wedgewood Lane about 2 years ago
Villages-71

When did that happen? I go in there all the time. It's at 466 and CR101 in Southern Trace Shopping Center in the parking lot in front of Publix and Beef O'Bradys.

What's interesting is the original Edwin Watts Shop in Ft. Walton Beach closed last January, it was one of only two that was located at a golf course. Edwin started work at that course when he was only 22 about fifty years ago and he eventually became the golf pro and took over the golf shop. He built the brand up to a chain of stores which he sold in 2007 to Sun Capital. In 2014 the chain was in bankruptcy and was sold again to westcoast retailer Worldwide Golf.

Golf pro shop to close after nearly 50 years - News - Northwest Florida Daily News - Fort Walton Beach, FL

With the closing of Golfsmith a couple of years ago, this all reminds me of the record industry back in the 90's. Now there are no big record chains left and with eBay that may be the future for golf chains.

July of 2016 I hit several irons at the Arnold Palmer golf school and decided I wanted to purchase the new Taylormade PSI 1 Irons with graphite shaft, they have the face slots which expands the sweet spot to the entire face. Even toe shots go almost the full distance. They also have the speed pocket which helps shots struck on on the face.

I then drove over to Sarasota Golf shop and priced the irons for $799 steel and $899 for graphite, I didn't want a hybrid, this was with a 4 iron thru PW. I then got on the computer and found the graphite set brand new in the box with free shipping for $399 on eBay. The retailer had 20 sets and had feedback of over 20,000 that was 99.9% good. Needless to say, no sales tax and I had the irons within 5 days with free UPS Ground from the eBay dealer.

The Villages Florida

The case with Edwin Watts, since Sun Capital had filed bankruptcy and with the acquisition by Worldwide was the best thing for them. For example the Edwin Watts in Tampa had closed, here under Worldwide Golf July 2014 they reopened.

TAMPA BAY TIMES — Well, that didn’t last long.

A lot of area golfers spent at least a few hours a week at the Edwin Watts golf store on North Dale Mabry. The place was a golf superstore with anything anyone could want, from club fittings to lessons, and almost everything connected to golf.

About six months ago the store shut down as a change in ownership took place. The store sold off everything — from clubs to cabinets — but according to store manager Gary Buffington, the store hasn’t only reopened, it is better than ever.

With more than 8,000 square feet of space and a new owner, Buffington said that the new store’s focus will be more golf than ever.

Edwin Watts owns 88 stores throughout the country and the Dale Mabry location is one of its most successful. The new ownership group, World Wide Golf, is committed to golf and only golf, Buffington said.

“We were owned by a different group but now we can emphasize nothing but golf,” Buffington said. “We can make players enjoy the game. It’s a great game and this is the right place to get players to love golf. That’s our ultimate goal. It’s all different now. All we care about here now is golf.”

Edwin Watts started his chain of golf stores in 1968 in Fort Walton Beach. There was a story about this startup golf shop in the Wall Street Journal and, after selling more than 700 sets of Titleist irons in one week, the company was off and running.

“It’s all about following up on the great work that Mr. Watts did,” Buffington said. “We are just using his work to follow in his footsteps.”

Buffington said that customer service is the major reason that the stores have thrived. A lot of former customers aren’t aware that the store has reopened, but Buffington said people will start coming back. He offers a 90-day guarantee on anything purchased in the store. He has also kept plenty of his former employees, including Mike Edwards, who has worked at Edwin Watts for almost 15 years doing club repair.

It might take time to get back up and running, but Buffington is making the effort. For one, he has added the Golf Charger, a device that is a fitting tool and registers things such as spin and launch angles. It’s very high tech, but it’s something golfers understand. There’s a putting green and Buffington said there will be golf demo days shortly.

Still, he wants to make sure that he lives up to the Edwin Watts promise that put the company on the golf map.

“Our biggest thing, after all we offer, is great customer service,” Buffington said. “We know a lot about golf here and we just want to make sure our customers leave here loving golf even more.’’

The Villages Florida
Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
I've been down there several times, but I haven't been into the shop. I played golf with a guy one day who told me that he went there regularly to take lessons using TrackMan. He showed me the new Callaway irons that he just bought there because the pro told him that he would hit the ball two clubs longer with them. He spent nine holes with me making doubles and triples while trying to show me how far he could hit his irons. In fact, he hit the about the same distance I did but had no control over them. On most holes, he came up short of the green.

This experience made me a bit leery to trust the pros at Sarasota Golf Center. I got the feeling that they are more interested in selling a set of clubs than helping golfers.
I bought Adams A2 when i first arrived but it came with four hybrids I was having difficulty hitting. so I purchased a set of Callaways. Discovered i had to use one more club with the callaways. told mt pro. He said bring in the Adams. Discovered the Adams had longer shaft ) approx 2-3 inches longer and were listed a standard????

Despite multiple lessons from a number of pro's new clubs etc my game has not appreciated much because I lack the essential ingredient needed "skill". the best thing I have done to improve my game is "lower my expectations
Old 08-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
The problem with the big box retailers is that there are too many directives from the top. People sitting in offices in their corporate headquarters that have experience as buyers or accountants in other industries are directing the people at the front lines on how to run a golf shop. Unfortunately, they look at the Wal Mart model in terms of success in retailing.

I've been through this and seen it from both sides of the counter. Jim's has a sign in the window that says, "We are not Dick's". Well, they've just taken the first step to becoming more like Dick's.

I warn people all the time to stay away from Dick's. Edwin Watts is a bit better, but they have grown into a corporate giant that does not serve the needs of golfers.
Dicks isn't doing anyone any favors either. went their last week to look for shoes forgetaboutit
Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
I've been going to Jim's since they opened, always thought they were great. I went there a couple of weeks ago because I broke my shaft on my Callaway Great Big Bertha driver (Kuro Kage flex-r) the salesmen at Jim's said Callaway won't replace. Told me he had to special order the shaft at a cost of $250.00. Told them I would think about it. I called Callaway, they said no problem would send me a new shaft. I also asked them what the price would be if I were to purchase the shaft, he said between $100.00 to $125.00. Received new shaft from Callaway a week later at no cost. I'll buy nothing but Callaway. Jim's has lost my business.

yea there is a guy that does the re-gripping shafts, etc. he failed the Dale Carnegie course.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, shop, accessible, cart, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.