golf the villages (Hole in one capitol of the world)

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2020, 06:30 AM
Default golf the villages (Hole in one capitol of the world)

The Villages decided to change the golf rules and allow a ball just to barely touch a pvc pipe in order to be called a hole in one. Due to the Corona virus pendamin. When the virus is over and the plastic pipe is removed will all the holes in one be negated since they were not really holes in one? Good question, the group I golf with would never claim a hole in one after maybe hitting a pvc pipe. After all how many of us old timers can really see that good to tell if a little golf ball touched a pvc pipe at anything over 10 feet. they should be ashamed.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:56 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I wouldn't claim I got one if I hit the pipe.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Old 04-23-2020, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Again?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Why are intelligent adults paying to play championship golf
In reality only has a flag no cup..It's like going bowling with no pins
Old 04-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

We wouldn't be having this discussion if The Villages had done what every other course in Florida is doing. PGA recommendation was to place a very short pipe in the hole, or to use a shorter depth cup. The ball still goes in the hole, but sits with about half the ball out of the hole so you can retrieve it without touching anything but your ball.

You still need to make the putt in this scenario, and the ball is only in when it's IN.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
We wouldn't be having this discussion if The Villages had done what every other course in Florida is doing. PGA recommendation was to place a very short pipe in the hole, or to use a shorter depth cup. The ball still goes in the hole, but sits with about half the ball out of the hole so you can retrieve it without touching anything but your ball.

You still need to make the putt in this scenario, and the ball is only in when it's IN.
The courses south of 44 have the shorter pipes. Occasionally the ball goes all the way in the hole and gets stuck between the pipe and the flag, so you do have to reach into the hole to get your ball.

If the hole is on a slant one side may be even with the green and the other is below, so the ball will only stay in on one side.

So if you are looking for the real feel and sometimes even more of a challenge, go south.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This thread confirms what I have always known about most golfers.

They are usually gentlemen and ladies, they are very honest and fair and play by the rules. They don't usually cheat and if you didn't get it fairly, you didn't get it. Every single person who plays golf knows who cheats. AND they know if they themselves cheat.

Usually they are looking for another foursome if they cheat.

These...……...are very, very, very, unusual times....and only someone unusual would worry about it.

This too will pass. Our real handicap follows us everywhere.

P.S. I had one hole in one about thirty years ago and it was pure cussed luck.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:38 AM

I got a “Hole in One” yesterday on Mira Mesa #9! I hit a thin shot with a Gap Wedge and it rocketed up the fairway, hit the pvc pipe and bounced off the side of the green!!! The rule in our league is that if the ball hits the cup, it’s in. We called it a hole in one for scoring, but we left the closest to the hole marker in play!! I told the guys I would buy them a drink at Cane Garden when it reopens. We all had a great laugh and it will be a great memory for us all! PS: I didn’t claim a Hole in One certificate at the Starter Shack.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Why are intelligent adults paying to play championship golf
Our group quit playing even the executive courses during this time. Between the temporary changes made to the courses and no places to enjoy before or after golf drinks and meals why bother paying trail fees to play pretend golf. Sorry but just not the justification to spend the money right now. Some people desire to still play and that's fine.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Henceforth any golfer claiming a hole-in-one shall forfeit his tour card.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=karostay;1751684]Why are intelligent adults paying to play championship golf
Way to funny!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Happened to go to Marshview Pitch& Putt last week, for fun and practice short game. The greens are in wonderful condition. This course (18+1holes) keeps the flag in but also has a PVC pipe inside the hole and cut just under the actual level of hole/grass. So if your putt is good, and not too fast - it will settle into the gap down between the flagstick and the hole, resting onto the PVC. Easy to retreive the ball. Probably the best method for now.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Holes in one

When this is over, golfers will need to retrain their brains to the fact that putting is hard. I'm shooting some of the lowest scores of my life, but they aren't really legit because even bad putts go "in."

If this is all about getting your name in the paper, I'm going to report that I shot my age, and say I'm 99. What's the difference?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
I got a “Hole in One” yesterday on Mira Mesa #9! I hit a thin shot with a Gap Wedge and it rocketed up the fairway, hit the pvc pipe and bounced off the side of the green!!! The rule in our league is that if the ball hits the cup, it’s in. We called it a hole in one for scoring, but we left the closest to the hole marker in play!! I told the guys I would buy them a drink at Cane Garden when it reopens. We all had a great laugh and it will be a great memory for us all! PS: I didn’t claim a Hole in One certificate at the Starter Shack.
There’s a fairway on Mira Mesa #9??
Every time I’ve played that par 3 hole I needed to hit a tee shot that would clear the lake that runs all the way from tee to green.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, pipe, pvc, hole, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.