Golf in the Villages versus up North

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2022, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts
Default Golf in the Villages versus up North

Dam, did I get spoiled this winter playing golf at the Villages. During January, February, and March I got in 30 rounds of Championship golf. My worst score was a 90 at Tierra Del Sol, on a 40 degrees day in January with a steady 20+ MPH wind. My average score was 82 over 30 rounds, so a pretty good sample size. Played my first round up north today and shot an absolutely awful 99. Golf is soooooo much more difficult when you get away from the senior citizen friendly Villages courses. On top of that, it sucks having to load up the truck and drive for over a half hour, go get a golf cart and load and unload the clubs. I am already yearning to get back to the Villages and take my own cart to one of the many senior citizen friendly golf courses within minutes of our house. And I really missed using my own cart, with all the wonderful accessories that have been added to it. Golf on everyone, and don’t take the Villages for granted: )
Old 04-06-2022, 04:59 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Golf is definetely easier than up north.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

My posted scores in The Villages are always a higher handicap than back home. But we can play year round!
Old 04-06-2022, 08:59 AM
Gold member

The Villages courses are mostly designed as "resort courses" with lots of water that doesn't come into play much, wide open fairways, big greens, etc. They are mostly designed to keep play moving. My "home course" in Upstate NY had narrow fairways lined with woods, lots of creeks and ponds for you to roll into, small greens, etc. When you hit a "wide right" drive, in most cases you were in the woods with no hope of even finding the ball. Golf in The Villages is much more enjoyable.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
The Villages courses are mostly designed as "resort courses" with lots of water that doesn't come into play much, wide open fairways, big greens, etc. They are mostly designed to keep play moving. My "home course" in Upstate NY had narrow fairways lined with woods, lots of creeks and ponds for you to roll into, small greens, etc. When you hit a "wide right" drive, in most cases you were in the woods with no hope of even finding the ball. Golf in The Villages is much more enjoyable.
You got that right, the courses up north also are very hilly with lots of uneven lies, the ball doesn’t roll much after landing, the sand in the traps is very inconsistent and more gravelly, and typically are significantly longer. Most courses up north are longer from the white tees that the courses in the Villages are from the blues. And the worst part about the courses up north are all the dam ticks in the taller grass and woods lining the fairways. I am way more afraid of ticks than the snakes and alligators in the Villages. The only thing I like better about golfing up north (green fees aside) is that I prefer bent grass greens to Bermuda. Golf on : )
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, villages, cart, senior, friendly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.