Golfers, please stay out of the garden

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 AM
kittygilchrist's Avatar
kittygilchrist kittygilchrist is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilchrist, from Gainesville
Posts: 5,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default Golfers, please stay out of the garden

This will be the second year I grow butterfly plants next to the golf course.
Last year I raised over 6 dozen monarchs, whiose species is slated to be on the endangered list.
Yesterday, four golfers were in my garden after a ball. The ball was retrieved from where it nearly touched the lanai by a man who did not see my plants.

Dearhearts, please consider that you are on someones private space where they have an intention that you may violate by trampling.
  #2  
Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,099
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 33 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Maybe a warning sign .... Golf ball seekers will be pelted onsite (pun intended)?

Sadly, I think this is one of those things where it is up to the character of the player. Some would never dream of going on your property. Others would never dream of not retrieving their ball. Maybe would be best to find another spot for your garden?
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #3  
Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM
kittygilchrist's Avatar
kittygilchrist kittygilchrist is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilchrist, from Gainesville
Posts: 5,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Maybe a warning sign .... Golf ball seekers will be pelted onsite (pun intended)?

Sadly, I think this is one of those things where it is up to the character of the player. Some would never dream of going on your property. Others would never dream of not retrieving their ball. Maybe would be best to find another spot for your garden?
Dee, I am not retreating. Asking for respect.
  #4  
Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 6,691
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,524 Times in 649 Posts
Default

How about a sign, please do not retrieve balls from yard, if allowed.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #5  
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,726
Thanks: 488
Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,800 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
How about a sign, please do not retrieve balls from yard, if allowed.
I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.
  #6  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM
George Bieniaszek's Avatar
George Bieniaszek George Bieniaszek is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: from Rocky Hill, CT now Pennecamp
Posts: 866
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

How about a well aimed "Super Soaker" when they are bending down to look for their ball

"Whoops -- I'm sorry!! I was just watering my landscaping!!!"
__________________
Always keep your words soft and sweet,
just in case you have to eat them!
  #7  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 PM
cms36 cms36 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think I read in the latest Villages magazine that said never go into a back yard to retrieve a ball.
  #8  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:00 PM
jnieman jnieman is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,259
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
This will be the second year I grow butterfly plants next to the golf course.
Last year I raised over 6 dozen monarchs, whiose species is slated to be on the endangered list.
Yesterday, four golfers were in my garden after a ball. The ball was retrieved from where it nearly touched the lanai by a man who did not see my plants.

Dearhearts, please consider that you are on someones private space where they have an intention that you may violate by trampling.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Lawn-Yard-Sign--Daisy/dp/B005C1YT5E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1425751136&sr=8-16&keywords=keep+out+sign]Amazon.com : Stay Off Lawn Yard Sign-By Duke Za Daisy : Stay Off Grass Sign : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

cute little sign that gets the point across
  #9  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 PM
ugotme's Avatar
ugotme ugotme is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Village of Charlotte
Posts: 1,186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I do not live on a golf course but would never go into a garden for a ball.
As Dewilson stated if it is "right there" on the lawn and I can reach it to grab it fine,
but to go through your garden - never.

Some people don't think or care.
My favorite expression - "You can't fix stupid."
__________________
Brooklyn, NY; Bethpage, NY; Tamarac, FL and N O W The Village of CHARLOTTE !!!!
  #10  
Old 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,672
Thanks: 220
Thanked 903 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.
That's my approach also.
  #11  
Old 03-07-2015, 02:33 PM
wholman66 wholman66 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I live on a golf course, I don't mind someone reaching into my yard to retrieve a ball, I do however mind someone in my flower beds or searching between the houses.
  #12  
Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Sanibel7 Sanibel7 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholman66 View Post
I live on a golf course, I don't mind someone reaching into my yard to retrieve a ball, I do however mind someone in my flower beds or searching between the houses.
Look I also Live on a Golf course and Guess what.. The Rules are the Rules... Do not enter a residents yard..end of story.. If you are playing golf.. you are restricted to the course.. you have paid to be on the course.. Out of Bounds is exactly that.. Not on the course.. Keep Out. I have been gardening in the yard and been hit with a ball and guess what.. Not even a courtesy FORE was yelled. I am really sick and tired of those who think they can do what they want where ever.. I've even had a Resident. walk into my lanai off the golf course and change the channel on my Tv to get the Football scores that he wanted to see.. End of story Please respect all who live here.. do not enter anyone else's property Please
  #13  
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,347
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,794 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Played Bonifay today with some visitors. The Ambassador that checked us in at Fort Walton made it clear that the yards are private property and that we are not to go into their yards to retrieve balls. My personal opinion, when it comes to respecting a persons property or a golf ball the respect for the property comes first. If the owner is on their Lanai or outside I will ask if I can retrieve it but if they say no....then it's no. Compare it to a stranger walking past your house and they see something on your property that interests them and they just walk up to look at it......would you think that's ok?
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #14  
Old 03-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Mleeja's Avatar
Mleeja Mleeja is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Santiago
Posts: 1,612
Thanks: 2
Thanked 411 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel7 View Post
Look I also Live on a Golf course and Guess what.. The Rules are the Rules... Do not enter a residents yard..end of story.. If you are playing golf.. you are restricted to the course.. you have paid to be on the course.. Out of Bounds is exactly that.. Not on the course.. Keep Out. I have been gardening in the yard and been hit with a ball and guess what.. Not even a courtesy FORE was yelled. I am really sick and tired of those who think they can do what they want where ever.. I've even had a Resident. walk into my lanai off the golf course and change the channel on my Tv to get the Football scores that he wanted to see.. End of story Please respect all who live here.. do not enter anyone else's property Please
I agree with what you are writing. However you chose to live on the golf
course. You have to expect this to happen. If a ball is in plain sight, I have no problem with the player retrieving the ball. Hunting for it in a garden is a different story. Entering your lanai...is trespassing and takes the discusdion to a whole new level. Someone who does something like this should have thier balls removed. If you catch my drift....
  #15  
Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Pepperhead's Avatar
Pepperhead Pepperhead is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Where the weird turn pro
Posts: 165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I agree with what you are writing. However you chose to live on the golf
course. You have to expect this to happen. If a ball is in plain sight, I have no problem with the player retrieving the ball. Hunting for it in a garden is a different story. Entering your lanai...is trespassing and takes the discusdion to a whole new level. Someone who does something like this should have thier balls removed. If you catch my drift....


Living on a golf course implies that one should expect golf balls on their property, not golfers.
__________________
So many speak of my drinking, so few of my thirst.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.