Golfers, please stay out of the garden

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Sage
Default Golfers, please stay out of the garden

This will be the second year I grow butterfly plants next to the golf course.
Last year I raised over 6 dozen monarchs, whiose species is slated to be on the endangered list.
Yesterday, four golfers were in my garden after a ball. The ball was retrieved from where it nearly touched the lanai by a man who did not see my plants.

Dearhearts, please consider that you are on someones private space where they have an intention that you may violate by trampling.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Maybe a warning sign .... Golf ball seekers will be pelted onsite (pun intended)?

Sadly, I think this is one of those things where it is up to the character of the player. Some would never dream of going on your property. Others would never dream of not retrieving their ball. Maybe would be best to find another spot for your garden?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Maybe a warning sign .... Golf ball seekers will be pelted onsite (pun intended)?

Sadly, I think this is one of those things where it is up to the character of the player. Some would never dream of going on your property. Others would never dream of not retrieving their ball. Maybe would be best to find another spot for your garden?
Dee, I am not retreating. Asking for respect.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

How about a sign, please do not retrieve balls from yard, if allowed.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
How about a sign, please do not retrieve balls from yard, if allowed.
I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

How about a well aimed "Super Soaker" when they are bending down to look for their ball

"Whoops -- I'm sorry!! I was just watering my landscaping!!!"
Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 PM

I think I read in the latest Villages magazine that said never go into a back yard to retrieve a ball.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
This will be the second year I grow butterfly plants next to the golf course.
Last year I raised over 6 dozen monarchs, whiose species is slated to be on the endangered list.
Yesterday, four golfers were in my garden after a ball. The ball was retrieved from where it nearly touched the lanai by a man who did not see my plants.

Dearhearts, please consider that you are on someones private space where they have an intention that you may violate by trampling.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Lawn-Yard-Sign--Daisy/dp/B005C1YT5E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1425751136&sr=8-16&keywords=keep+out+sign]Amazon.com : Stay Off Lawn Yard Sign-By Duke Za Daisy : Stay Off Grass Sign : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

cute little sign that gets the point across
Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Gold member

I do not live on a golf course but would never go into a garden for a ball.
As Dewilson stated if it is "right there" on the lawn and I can reach it to grab it fine,
but to go through your garden - never.

Some people don't think or care.
My favorite expression - "You can't fix stupid."
Old 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.
That's my approach also.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:33 PM

I live on a golf course, I don't mind someone reaching into my yard to retrieve a ball, I do however mind someone in my flower beds or searching between the houses.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholman66 View Post
I live on a golf course, I don't mind someone reaching into my yard to retrieve a ball, I do however mind someone in my flower beds or searching between the houses.
Look I also Live on a Golf course and Guess what.. The Rules are the Rules... Do not enter a residents yard..end of story.. If you are playing golf.. you are restricted to the course.. you have paid to be on the course.. Out of Bounds is exactly that.. Not on the course.. Keep Out. I have been gardening in the yard and been hit with a ball and guess what.. Not even a courtesy FORE was yelled. I am really sick and tired of those who think they can do what they want where ever.. I've even had a Resident. walk into my lanai off the golf course and change the channel on my Tv to get the Football scores that he wanted to see.. End of story Please respect all who live here.. do not enter anyone else's property Please
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Played Bonifay today with some visitors. The Ambassador that checked us in at Fort Walton made it clear that the yards are private property and that we are not to go into their yards to retrieve balls. My personal opinion, when it comes to respecting a persons property or a golf ball the respect for the property comes first. If the owner is on their Lanai or outside I will ask if I can retrieve it but if they say no....then it's no. Compare it to a stranger walking past your house and they see something on your property that interests them and they just walk up to look at it......would you think that's ok?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel7 View Post
Look I also Live on a Golf course and Guess what.. The Rules are the Rules... Do not enter a residents yard..end of story.. If you are playing golf.. you are restricted to the course.. you have paid to be on the course.. Out of Bounds is exactly that.. Not on the course.. Keep Out. I have been gardening in the yard and been hit with a ball and guess what.. Not even a courtesy FORE was yelled. I am really sick and tired of those who think they can do what they want where ever.. I've even had a Resident. walk into my lanai off the golf course and change the channel on my Tv to get the Football scores that he wanted to see.. End of story Please respect all who live here.. do not enter anyone else's property Please
I agree with what you are writing. However you chose to live on the golf
course. You have to expect this to happen. If a ball is in plain sight, I have no problem with the player retrieving the ball. Hunting for it in a garden is a different story. Entering your lanai...is trespassing and takes the discusdion to a whole new level. Someone who does something like this should have thier balls removed. If you catch my drift....
Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I agree with what you are writing. However you chose to live on the golf
course. You have to expect this to happen. If a ball is in plain sight, I have no problem with the player retrieving the ball. Hunting for it in a garden is a different story. Entering your lanai...is trespassing and takes the discusdion to a whole new level. Someone who does something like this should have thier balls removed. If you catch my drift....

Living on a golf course implies that one should expect golf balls on their property, not golfers.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.