Goodbye, faux hole in ones

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Finally, back to somewhat real golf with the lowering of the pipes.

Now you people that posed for pics or got your name in the paper for your NOT REAL hole in ones, try getting one now.
KC, not sure where you got that information but it appears to contradict the update posted on Golf The Villages, which outlines the changes starting Monday, 5/18. It says they will continue to use PCV inserts in the holes, adjusted to set deeper in the cup. Although that statement is rather ambiguous, saying they will CONTINUE to use PCV inserts in the holes leads me to believe they will still be elevated above the putting surface? Although, saying the inserts will be set deeper in the cup could make your statement correct? Has anyone spoken to someone in golf administration to confirm the meaning of the update? Will the PCV inserts be set above or below the putting surface?

Last edited by tophcfa; 05-15-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Actually the USGA issued a rule stating if the ball is within 5 feet of the pin, add one stroke to your stroke count at that point and pick up. So, it isn't cheating.

Having said that, I putt everything in.
That is not at all what the USGA said. First of all, they did not issue any new rules to deal with COVID. What they did is provide guidance regarding what adjustments the local committee can make which will be acceptable for handicap purposes. Not holing out was one of the things addressed, but they never said 5-foot gimmes would be OK.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 05-15-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I got one and refer to it as my pipe in one. I did not declare it as a hole in one but it was fun none the less.
Good for you. I would assume to be a "HOLE" in one it would have to be IN the hole. I've hit the flagstick numerous times but never would have thought it should of counted as a hole in one.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My bad.
I should have written, 'now the isert has been removed.'
https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...e.pdf?v=032917

This is not a new rule or one connected to Covid - 19. This is long-standing in the Good Golf literature.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
so how many faux hole-in-ones did you get? I get the feeling that someone that might not have been able to take advantage of covid-19 adaptive cups might harbor some jealousy. :-)
One; hit 2’ from the hole and bounced it inside the pipe on Egret #4. Anything else you want to know, sport?
Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage

I got clarification from golf administration on what the new holes will entail. New PCV inserts will in fact be set in the hole, below the putting surface, so that the golf ball will go in the hole. The bottom of the cup will be very shallow so the golfer can easily pick their ball out of the hole without touching anything but their ball. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, best of both worlds.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Hi Ken! Bs here
Old 05-16-2020, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Never mind the dodgy hole in one claims.
Stop these crazy gimmes, and putt out.
Seen many pick up from as far away as three foot from hole!
Ridiculous, and basically cheating.
Played behind a foursome yesterday at Lopez that putted everything out, in order, marked their ball if it wasn't their turn. I hope it was for a lot of money because it took almost 5 hours to play the round.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-16-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Finally, back to somewhat real golf with the lowering of the pipes.

Now you people that posed for pics or got your name in the paper for your NOT REAL hole in ones, try getting one now.
I am glad your life is back to normal. I can't imagine the agony you have been experiencing having to worry about how others play their game of golf. And the Daily Sun can now go back to only printing real facts.

Question: How often do you claim a birdie or par when you did not actually finish out the putt because the ball was close? I would put this 'gimme' into the same class of 'fuzzy' scoring.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

This is not a new rule or one connected to Covid - 19. This is long-standing in the Good Golf literature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

These recommendations are not permitted to be used by anyone participating in a tournament associated with The Villages Community or for anyone maintaining a USGA Handicap (the scores are not acceptable for posting). They are not recommended for any golfer wishing to pursue an enhanced playing ability or play following the traditions of the game

I will stick with the rules of golf.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Played behind a foursome yesterday at Lopez that putted everything out, in order, marked their ball if it wasn't their turn. I hope it was for a lot of money because it took almost 5 hours to play the round.
Ambassador should step in if they weren't keeping up with the game in front of them.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
KC, not sure where you got that information but it appears to contradict the update posted on Golf The Villages, which outlines the changes starting Monday, 5/18. It says they will continue to use PCV inserts in the holes, adjusted to set deeper in the cup. Although that statement is rather ambiguous, saying they will CONTINUE to use PCV inserts in the holes leads me to believe they will still be elevated above the putting surface? Although, saying the inserts will be set deeper in the cup could make your statement correct? Has anyone spoken to someone in golf administration to confirm the meaning of the update? Will the PCV inserts be set above or below the putting surface?
Read what I wrote, I never said they were coming out, they are being lowered.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Read what I wrote, I never said they were coming out, they are being lowered.
Yes, and read post #21, when I clarified what golf administration explained we should expect for the new golf holes. The new holes seem like a very good idea, that could become the new normal. Who knows, everything is an experiment at this time, time will tell? Golf on my friend!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I got clarification from golf administration on what the new holes will entail. New PCV inserts will in fact be set in the hole, below the putting surface, so that the golf ball will go in the hole. The bottom of the cup will be very shallow so the golfer can easily pick their ball out of the hole without touching anything but their ball. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, best of both worlds.
In theory this sounds great. In reality, turns out they haven’t quite figured out “below the putting surface”. Sometimes it’s a reasonable 1/2 inch below. Sometimes it’s a quarter inch above, and everywhere in between. At least with the high ones you can tell if it hit. With these you can’t tell if it would have been in if the pipe wasn’t there.

And then there are the cases it does go in, and gets wedged between the pipe and the flag. And the whole “no need to touch the hole or the flag” goes out the window. That happens at least once a 9 hole round since I’ve run into these.

Since they no longer seem to care about folks touching the hole I think they should go ahead and pull the PVC. Then at least we don’t have to wonder if the ball would have gone in. Either way, bring your hand sanitizer in your bag.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
I am glad your life is back to normal. I can't imagine the agony you have been experiencing having to worry about how others play their game of golf. And the Daily Sun can now go back to only printing real facts.

Question: How often do you claim a birdie or par when you did not actually finish out the putt because the ball was close? I would put this 'gimme' into the same class of 'fuzzy' scoring.
Priceless. Imagine his torture!
Closed Thread

Tags
real, hole, paper, pics, posed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.