Goodbye, faux hole in ones

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 AM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 1,910
Thanks: 597
Thanked 1,312 Times in 444 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Finally, back to somewhat real golf with the lowering of the pipes.

Now you people that posed for pics or got your name in the paper for your NOT REAL hole in ones, try getting one now.
KC, not sure where you got that information but it appears to contradict the update posted on Golf The Villages, which outlines the changes starting Monday, 5/18. It says they will continue to use PCV inserts in the holes, adjusted to set deeper in the cup. Although that statement is rather ambiguous, saying they will CONTINUE to use PCV inserts in the holes leads me to believe they will still be elevated above the putting surface? Although, saying the inserts will be set deeper in the cup could make your statement correct? Has anyone spoken to someone in golf administration to confirm the meaning of the update? Will the PCV inserts be set above or below the putting surface?

Last edited by tophcfa; 05-15-2020 at 10:53 AM.
  #17  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,615
Thanks: 17
Thanked 424 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Actually the USGA issued a rule stating if the ball is within 5 feet of the pin, add one stroke to your stroke count at that point and pick up. So, it isn't cheating.

Having said that, I putt everything in.
That is not at all what the USGA said. First of all, they did not issue any new rules to deal with COVID. What they did is provide guidance regarding what adjustments the local committee can make which will be acceptable for handicap purposes. Not holing out was one of the things addressed, but they never said 5-foot gimmes would be OK.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 05-15-2020 at 11:44 AM.
  #18  
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
canyonblue canyonblue is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I got one and refer to it as my pipe in one. I did not declare it as a hole in one but it was fun none the less.
Good for you. I would assume to be a "HOLE" in one it would have to be IN the hole. I've hit the flagstick numerous times but never would have thought it should of counted as a hole in one.
  #19  
Old 05-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Jayhawk's Avatar
Jayhawk Jayhawk is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 775
Thanks: 0
Thanked 489 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My bad.
I should have written, 'now the isert has been removed.'
https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...e.pdf?v=032917


This is not a new rule or one connected to Covid - 19. This is long-standing in the Good Golf literature.
  #20  
Old 05-15-2020, 05:46 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,762
Thanks: 101
Thanked 519 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
so how many faux hole-in-ones did you get? I get the feeling that someone that might not have been able to take advantage of covid-19 adaptive cups might harbor some jealousy. :-)
One; hit 2’ from the hole and bounced it inside the pipe on Egret #4. Anything else you want to know, sport?
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #21  
Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 AM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 1,910
Thanks: 597
Thanked 1,312 Times in 444 Posts
Default

I got clarification from golf administration on what the new holes will entail. New PCV inserts will in fact be set in the hole, below the putting surface, so that the golf ball will go in the hole. The bottom of the cup will be very shallow so the golfer can easily pick their ball out of the hole without touching anything but their ball. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, best of both worlds.
  #22  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:08 AM
wsachs wsachs is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 72
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Hi Ken! Bs here
  #23  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:44 AM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,723
Thanks: 9
Thanked 976 Times in 373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Never mind the dodgy hole in one claims.
Stop these crazy gimmes, and putt out.
Seen many pick up from as far away as three foot from hole!
Ridiculous, and basically cheating.
Played behind a foursome yesterday at Lopez that putted everything out, in order, marked their ball if it wasn't their turn. I hope it was for a lot of money because it took almost 5 hours to play the round.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #24  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:56 AM
thomp679 thomp679 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 147
Thanks: 117
Thanked 169 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Finally, back to somewhat real golf with the lowering of the pipes.

Now you people that posed for pics or got your name in the paper for your NOT REAL hole in ones, try getting one now.
I am glad your life is back to normal. I can't imagine the agony you have been experiencing having to worry about how others play their game of golf. And the Daily Sun can now go back to only printing real facts.

Question: How often do you claim a birdie or par when you did not actually finish out the putt because the ball was close? I would put this 'gimme' into the same class of 'fuzzy' scoring.
  #25  
Old 05-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,720
Thanks: 273
Thanked 1,304 Times in 489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...e.pdf?v=032917


This is not a new rule or one connected to Covid - 19. This is long-standing in the Good Golf literature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...e.pdf?v=032917


This is not a new rule or one connected to Covid - 19. This is long-standing in the Good Golf literature.
These recommendations are not permitted to be used by anyone participating in a tournament associated with The Villages Community or for anyone maintaining a USGA Handicap (the scores are not acceptable for posting). They are not recommended for any golfer wishing to pursue an enhanced playing ability or play following the traditions of the game

I will stick with the rules of golf.
  #26  
Old 05-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,720
Thanks: 273
Thanked 1,304 Times in 489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Played behind a foursome yesterday at Lopez that putted everything out, in order, marked their ball if it wasn't their turn. I hope it was for a lot of money because it took almost 5 hours to play the round.
Ambassador should step in if they weren't keeping up with the game in front of them.
  #27  
Old 05-16-2020, 06:44 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,762
Thanks: 101
Thanked 519 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
KC, not sure where you got that information but it appears to contradict the update posted on Golf The Villages, which outlines the changes starting Monday, 5/18. It says they will continue to use PCV inserts in the holes, adjusted to set deeper in the cup. Although that statement is rather ambiguous, saying they will CONTINUE to use PCV inserts in the holes leads me to believe they will still be elevated above the putting surface? Although, saying the inserts will be set deeper in the cup could make your statement correct? Has anyone spoken to someone in golf administration to confirm the meaning of the update? Will the PCV inserts be set above or below the putting surface?
Read what I wrote, I never said they were coming out, they are being lowered.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #28  
Old 05-16-2020, 08:02 PM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 1,910
Thanks: 597
Thanked 1,312 Times in 444 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Read what I wrote, I never said they were coming out, they are being lowered.
Yes, and read post #21, when I clarified what golf administration explained we should expect for the new golf holes. The new holes seem like a very good idea, that could become the new normal. Who knows, everything is an experiment at this time, time will tell? Golf on my friend!
  #29  
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 AM
charmed59 charmed59 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 433
Thanks: 19
Thanked 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I got clarification from golf administration on what the new holes will entail. New PCV inserts will in fact be set in the hole, below the putting surface, so that the golf ball will go in the hole. The bottom of the cup will be very shallow so the golfer can easily pick their ball out of the hole without touching anything but their ball. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, best of both worlds.
In theory this sounds great. In reality, turns out they haven’t quite figured out “below the putting surface”. Sometimes it’s a reasonable 1/2 inch below. Sometimes it’s a quarter inch above, and everywhere in between. At least with the high ones you can tell if it hit. With these you can’t tell if it would have been in if the pipe wasn’t there.

And then there are the cases it does go in, and gets wedged between the pipe and the flag. And the whole “no need to touch the hole or the flag” goes out the window. That happens at least once a 9 hole round since I’ve run into these.

Since they no longer seem to care about folks touching the hole I think they should go ahead and pull the PVC. Then at least we don’t have to wonder if the ball would have gone in. Either way, bring your hand sanitizer in your bag.
  #30  
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM
VinoGolf VinoGolf is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 17
Thanks: 17
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
I am glad your life is back to normal. I can't imagine the agony you have been experiencing having to worry about how others play their game of golf. And the Daily Sun can now go back to only printing real facts.

Question: How often do you claim a birdie or par when you did not actually finish out the putt because the ball was close? I would put this 'gimme' into the same class of 'fuzzy' scoring.
Priceless. Imagine his torture!
Reply

Tags
real, hole, paper, pics, posed

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.