The Greatest Game Ever Played

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Default The Greatest Game Ever Played

Has anyone seen that movie and had it trigger an interest in the history of the game and what it would be like to play with a set of hickory shafted clubs. That is exactly what happened to me about 8 years ago. A friend had a bunch of old clubs he bought at yard sales and flea markets we decided to give them a try on Friday afternoon. I was amazed how well they hit and I was hooked. I joined The Virginia Hickory players we had monthly outings played in tournaments at Pinehurst and Mid Pines. I moved to the Villages and joined The Florida Hickory Players we also play monthly outings at historic Florida courses built back in the day we also had an invitation to play at lake Nona. We bring extra sets of clubs to all of our outing so the members who would like to play may do so. I play in The Villages quite often you may have seen me dressed in my Knickers playing my Hickory shafted clubs feel free to come over and check them out and ask any questions you may have. I have extra sets if anyone would be interested in giving them try. If you think I am crazy I play within 4 or 5 strokes of my modern clubs so I think Taylor Made, Titleist and Cobra have great marketing. Websites worth looking into are The Society of Hickory Golfers. and The Florida Hickory golfers. There are tournaments all over the world the US Hickory open is played at Temple Terrace every year with international golfers I played with one gentlemen who played on the European tour in the 90s he won shooting a 67, 71 I had no business being in his foursome my bad luck of the draw although he was fun to watch. The World Hickory open is played in Scotland every year with a Ryder cup match between the U.S and the World.
Far and Sure
Mike Hobson
Old 05-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH&PH View Post
Has anyone seen that movie and had it trigger an interest in the history of the game and what it would be like to play with a set of hickory shafted clubs. That is exactly what happened to me about 8 years ago. A friend had a bunch of old clubs he bought at yard sales and flea markets we decided to give them a try on Friday afternoon. I was amazed how well they hit and I was hooked. I joined The Virginia Hickory players we had monthly outings played in tournaments at Pinehurst and Mid Pines. I moved to the Villages and joined The Florida Hickory Players we also play monthly outings at historic Florida courses built back in the day we also had an invitation to play at lake Nona. We bring extra sets of clubs to all of our outing so the members who would like to play may do so. I play in The Villages quite often you may have seen me dressed in my Knickers playing my Hickory shafted clubs feel free to come over and check them out and ask any questions you may have. I have extra sets if anyone would be interested in giving them try. If you think I am crazy I play within 4 or 5 strokes of my modern clubs so I think Taylor Made, Titleist and Cobra have great marketing. Websites worth looking into are The Society of Hickory Golfers. and The Florida Hickory golfers. There are tournaments all over the world the US Hickory open is played at Temple Terrace every year with international golfers I played with one gentlemen who played on the European tour in the 90s he won shooting a 67, 71 I had no business being in his foursome my bad luck of the draw although he was fun to watch. The World Hickory open is played in Scotland every year with a Ryder cup match between the U.S and the World.
Far and Sure
Mike Hobson
Cool! Like playing tennis with wooden racket?

Oldest clubs I even hit with was persimmon drivers, which IMO could hit just as far unless you had usually groves stroke with drivers. The old irons IMO was just as good providing you hit in the sweet spot, if not vibration come up the shafts, and uncontrollable spin. With all sports improvements are made over the years including equipment, training, and techniques.

I am firm believer that equipment/brands/ price plays little role in output, it’s what You get use to And how you refine you’re stroke with that equipment. Pool cues good example it’s not the cost that makes you better player it’s the Tip, weight, tip, and the feel (Tip being the most important) you get from hours of practice.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:24 PM

I whack a ball into a gopher hole.

I would have posted the George Carlin versions, but that's for you to do.

Search on "George Carlin youtube videos on golf"
Closed Thread

Tags
hickory, played, play, clubs, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.