Green Fees Explode

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Location: Born and raised NYC raised the family on Long island, Now living the life

Our time on this side of the dirt, shortens each passing day. Calm down, enjoy what you have.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:56 AM

Yes, $5 increase. But, percentage is 12%! And over the last two years is 27%! Do your investments get that much?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
I agree. I don’t understand why the fees have to almost double.
Where are you getting the "almost double" from?
Steve
Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am not sure where you gather your information but the rate at Tierra Del Sol went up $12 for a resident golfer from last year to this year. That’s exactly $12 a year. Just saying.
My original post compared prices from $10 years ago. The Priority rates for TDS in 2010 were $29 this year $47 +$18. Average $1.80 a year. GV, CG, Hav. & MH were $32 This year $47 = +$15.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:41 AM

The facts on Golf Course Rates are ...
For the period January thru April 2009 Priority rate at Palmer was $41. In 2020 it will be $47. That's an average increase per year of $.50 ... YES 50 cents per year! The average increase overall for the past TWELVE (12) Years (2009 thru 2020) has been roughly $1.50 across the board (all courses .. except Bonifay, Evans Prairie and Belle Glade are not part of the analysis since they did not exist in 2009); Palmer has experienced the LEAST average increase per year whereas Tierra Del Sol has experienced the largest. Understand how it looks when you don't have ALL the facts! I have the spreadsheet analysis available for anyone desiring to see reality.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petehoyt View Post
The facts on Golf Course Rates are ...
For the period January thru April 2009 Priority rate at Palmer was $41. In 2020 it will be $47. That's an average increase per year of $.50 ... YES 50 cents per year! The average increase overall for the past TWELVE (12) Years (2009 thru 2020) has been roughly $1.50 across the board (all courses .. except Bonifay, Evans Prairie and Belle Glade are not part of the analysis since they did not exist in 2009); Palmer has experienced the LEAST average increase per year whereas Tierra Del Sol has experienced the largest. Understand how it looks when you don't have ALL the facts! I have the spreadsheet analysis available for anyone desiring to see reality.
Facts will confuse the argument!!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I do admit their are cheaper and just as nice BUT some of us like convenience....and having a full service bar and restaurant and always running into people we know. There is a cost for that and it's one I am willing to pay. We do play out of the bubble now and then, especially if someone has a Groupon
I agree with everything you say but the article just wanted to know why the prices are going up. Convenience is nice, but I was just saying if it's cheap green fees, there is less expensive places to play. Thanks for the comment, JoMar!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just pay the man his $2. Or spend $6 in gas going elsewhere. Or take up pickleball. Whatever
Guess I got to agree with your comment. Maybe that's why I only play the Executive courses. Yea, I know someone will say they're to short or they're excuse for not wanted to play them. But I always thought it was the short game that help you lower your score not how far you can hit the ball straight. So your right you do spend 8 to $10 more to drive a couple of miles to save $20. but in that case I saved my $40. & play for FREE or about $20. less to play for $25. But I do see your point but I really don't think playing the Championship courses will really help my golf game. NO pun intended though, Golfing eagles!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
I agree. I don’t understand why the fees have to almost double. I know it’s peak time when The Villages is probably at close to full capacity, but the conditions aren’t any better than any other time. There starts to be a little more time to play as time goes forward....I just don’t get it. I have a moderate income, but know I will travel all over the area to play, when there are 12 championship course right here. I just don’t get it.
Which fees have almost doubled???
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Here's one for the "doublers" (although I don't believe the facts show green fees have doubled at TV champ courses)
In 1974 I played Bethpage Black on weekdays for $1.75. Today the greens fee is $130. What "percentage" increase is that. Gas had skyrocketed to $0.69/gallon in the aftermath of the oil embargo, prior to that it was $0.34. Ground beef was $0.69/pound and a regular size loaf of bread was $0.29. Sirloin steak was $1.29/pound, for those that could afford it.

My point is simple---prices go up. Wages go up as well---I was working in 1974 for $1.00/hour, so golf was almost 2 hours work. Before I retired, golf was a lot less work than that.

As to those who are hurt by price increases more than others---those on a fixed income, yes it sucks. But some of those folks planned a retirement on prices that existed at that time and did not consider the future cost of living. My godfather was one of them, he retired in 1966 on what seemed to be a pension that would last a lifetime. By 1975 he was living in a trailer buying food from the expired shelf. So to those approaching retirement, Plan ahead!!!
Old 12-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Here's one for the "doublers" (although I don't believe the facts show green fees have doubled at TV champ courses)
In 1974 I played Bethpage Black on weekdays for $1.75. Today the greens fee is $130. What "percentage" increase is that. Gas had skyrocketed to $0.69/gallon in the aftermath of the oil embargo, prior to that it was $0.34. Ground beef was $0.69/pound and a regular size loaf of bread was $0.29. Sirloin steak was $1.29/pound, for those that could afford it.

My point is simple---prices go up. Wages go up as well---I was working in 1974 for $1.00/hour, so golf was almost 2 hours work. Before I retired, golf was a lot less work than that.

As to those who are hurt by price increases more than others---those on a fixed income, yes it sucks. But some of those folks planned a retirement on prices that existed at that time and did not consider the future cost of living. My godfather was one of them, he retired in 1966 on what seemed to be a pension that would last a lifetime. By 1975 he was living in a trailer buying food from the expired shelf. So to those approaching retirement, Plan ahead!!!
Wise words indeed.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:10 PM

FYI, A very good letter to the editor on the ONLINE Enquirer

To the Editor:

I have been a resident of the Villages for 15 years and have played the championship courses thee time a week since I have been here.
I am no way sticking up for the developer in the raising of the rates on the Championship Golf courses but people are looking at the rates going up to $33 – $47 for the winter. People have to realize for years they always had three rate structures – summer, fall and winter. The summer rates were always $15 less from the winter rates and $10 from the fall rates. The winter rates never had a discount for afternoon play in the winter. It was always one rate for all day in the winter. The Championship rates last year ranged between ranges between $30 and $42, Palmer being the highest @$45. With Golf Management Solutions gone and The Villages taking over, they decided to go to only two seasons instead of three. Summer and fall at one rate and Winter at the other rate. In essence the increase for the winter has gone up $2-$5 depending on the course from the winter rates of last year. As I stated they never had an afternoon rate in the winter. Come May 1 the rates will be rolled back as always. People also have to realize that the courses are going through major renovations with the new grass they are doing the greens over with (tift Eagle), Bunker renovations as well as re-designing many of the holes. Plus the fact that all the chemicals and fertilizers have gone up drastically over the last few years. I know the new people that have been here only a couple of years probably didn’t realize how the seasons were structured and looking at this increase are thinking this is gouging. I feel that the courses that have been renovated so far (Lopez-Tierra-Glenview) have really improved over what they were. I understand a couple of other courses are going to be done next Summer also. Over the course of the next five to seven years they are hoping to have all courses re-done with the new grass as well as re-doing the bunkers. As far as the other courses that were mentioned outside The Villages, the only courses worth playing are Stonecreek-Harbor Hills-Eagle Ridge-Mission Inn. The others in the area are cow pastures and as far as Orlando you are looking at about a 45 minute to an hour ride to get there, so it becomes an all-day event. I will continue to play in The Villages with my two groups which consists of 32-56 members three times a week.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Go to the source of the increase; see what kind of response you get there.

You people get on here and Next Door to whine and complain about everything the Developer does; why did you move here in the first place? Did you think prices here were going to flat line or go down by you just moving here? Do you really think you’re going to get a viable solution here or on that other site by just complaining to hear yourself? The Developer is not a “not for profit” organization.

Good lord, give it up. Complain about the high priced, low quality food and alcohol at the country clubs; the fact that Publix groceries costs more than Aldi’s; just quit bitching about everything the Developer does.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Old 12-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Glad they are available.
Closed Thread

Tags
green, fees, imagine, thing, increasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.