Handicaps & other stuff

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Sage
Default Handicaps & other stuff

I've been a hacker for about 30 years. I never had the time or opportunity to play enough to see any real improvement in my game until the last couple of years ( a couple of lessons really helped). That being said, most of the time, one of my sons usually has the scorecard, and while I may have a really good hole from time to time, I hardly ever even look at the total (always said it's not the score, but the outing that's fun). I don't even know how to calculate a handicap. I guess I enjoy being out there, making a few good shots, and don't want to take it too seriously to the point it becomes work. Do any of you good people see this as being an issue, or are other other like-minded senior athletes out there??
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Eternal Member

I keep all of my scores in a spreadsheet and average them at the end of the month. It helps me to see if I have improved over time. In the past couple of years I have taken 6-8 strokes off of my monthly average (from 42 down to 35). All executive courses. I don't consider it a chore as it only takes a few minutes.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Sage

While Z's method is good to monitor your improvement remember that an 'average' is not a handicap. A USGA handicap uses your best 10 out of the last 20 adjusted scores and then applies some math based on the slope and rating of the course that was played.

Two things to think about -

1 An official USGA (TV uses GHIN) handicap is required to play in any of the tournaments. You can join GHIN (just ask at any of the championship courses) for about $30-40 year. Being a prioroty golf member gives you a reduced rate I believe.

2. There are also ways in your Excel spreadsheet to keep your rounds like Z does but apply the handicap formula to your scores to get an unofficial handicap.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
. I guess I enjoy being out there, making a few good shots, and don't want to take it too seriously to the point it becomes work.
This is a great attitude to have on a golf course. At points in my golfing life, when having a bad round, I have lost sight of how much I enjoy the game. Whether you keep score or not, keep the game in perspetive and enjoy the heck out of being lucky enough to be able to play.

The main reason I keep a handicap is so I can play in some fun tournaments which require one.

Last edited by ajbrown; 08-14-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I keep all of my scores in a spreadsheet and average them at the end of the month. It helps me to see if I have improved over time. In the past couple of years I have taken 6-8 strokes off of my monthly average (from 42 down to 35). All executive courses. I don't consider it a chore as it only takes a few minutes.
Nice trend Z!

I flat lined and am headed the other way
Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Nice trend Z!

I flat lined and am headed the other way
Ditto!

Maybe moving to TV will revive my game.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Hi Mulligan

I love playing golf too! Enjoy the way you play this game, don't compare yourself with other people. However, if your concerned about your game take note of your shots and see where your challenged the most. Your golf bag holds fabulous clubs that can make your game amazing. My buddies call me scramble eggs because I can get out of many of the messes I get myself into. I adore my clubs.

When I play I keep track of my putts or play a game for lowest putts on the front, back and total. Handicap is not an issue here, but I focus a little more, especially if a quarter is on the table.

Another game we play is Ka-Ching. It's a golf coin game not based on handicap. You get a coin for a chip in, sand save, 3 putt, birdie, triple bogey, water, etc. Then you pass the coin on to the next victim. It's really fun and when you finish if you may have plus coins (winner), minus coins (loser). From the coins in your pocket you can see where you need help. Sometimes I have all the negative coins and roar with laughter, especially when my buddies or new found golf friends hand off the coins to me.

Enjoy being alive and playing this wonderful game called Golf. We could be picking strawberrys. I could make a game out of that too!

See you on the course next year when we'll be in TV full time. I'll bring my Ka-Ching game and we'll play.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
While Z's method is good to monitor your improvement remember that an 'average' is not a handicap. A USGA handicap uses your best 10 out of the last 20 adjusted scores and then applies some math based on the slope and rating of the course that was played.

Two things to think about -

1 An official USGA (TV uses GHIN) handicap is required to play in any of the tournaments. You can join GHIN (just ask at any of the championship courses) for about $30-40 year. Being a priority golf member gives you a reduced rate I believe.

2. There are also ways in your Excel spreadsheet to keep your rounds like Z does but apply the handicap formula to your scores to get an unofficial handicap.
True this is an average and not a handicap but in order to play in MOST of the championship tournaments you must be a priority member. It there is room, they will let non-priority members with established handicaps play but forget it in the snowbird season.

I did pay for the GHIN one year and found out about the above so I did not think it was worth it since I did not want pay the bucks to be a priority member.

There is also a site (forget the name) that will calculate your handicap for the executive courses. If you care to do that.

I just want to know how I am playing in relation to myself.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Thumbs up That's my style for now also

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I've been a hacker for about 30 years. I never had the time or opportunity to play enough to see any real improvement in my game until the last couple of years ( a couple of lessons really helped). That being said, most of the time, one of my sons usually has the scorecard, and while I may have a really good hole from time to time, I hardly ever even look at the total (always said it's not the score, but the outing that's fun). I don't even know how to calculate a handicap. I guess I enjoy being out there, making a few good shots, and don't want to take it too seriously to the point it becomes work. Do any of you good people see this as being an issue, or are other other like-minded senior athletes out there??
Hey mulligan...I hail from Worcester as well; we've been down here at TV for about 8-1/2 months now and have played more golf in that time than all prior years combined...and I started playing with my dad when I was about 5 years old. Intermittent play as well as several long non-playing stretches over all those years, deciding if I would play righty or left make my game pretty erratic. While I try to "find my game" playing so much, I've played with lots of really good consistent golfers down here...some take it very seriously and still have fun and some play quite well but...well, let's just say they don't seem to be really enjoying the moment, their situation...the big picture of living and playing golf at all these fine TV courses.
I'm not a diligent scorekeeper either and know I could use a couple lessons...but instead for now, just taking pleasure at making more good shots than bad, eliminating those real bad holes and sort of keeping a mental note of how many pars, bogeys and occasional birds. This works for me for the time being, taking the prime focus off the total score - letting each new hole stand alone.
Perhaps in my next life, I'll be a pro golfer and agonize over my game...for now it's gradual improvement (hopefully) and a few lessons down the road...and maybe then diligent score-keeping.
PS. we do play in a neighborhood scramble on Sunday afternoons...and it's great fun, but cut-throat & viscious competition (just kidding).
Drop me a line when you get here & we'll play & discuss Wormtown and the courses up there!

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.