Has anyone ever tried to hit the golf ball like Moe Norman.

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage
Default Has anyone ever tried to hit the golf ball like Moe Norman.

He holds the record for staying in the fairway 91% of the time. He swings on one swing plane. He passed away but there is a bit to see using youtube.

Has anyone tried his swing? It sure looks simple and less complicated.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have tried it, though didn't make a commitment to it. It felt awkward to me. There is probably a reason no pro golfers have used it though some have tried the "stack and tilt" method, which is similar to Moe's style. Moe was a quirky and unique person as well as golfer, and I don't know if anyone can copy his style effectively.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

I tend to hit the ball a lot more like Moe, Curley, and Larry from the 3 stooges. But I have lots of fun playing. I find that overthinking the swing can seriously damage the score and fun of the game. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I had a friend.........pretty much a scratch golfer, looking for something out of the box to improve his game. He stuck with it for two years. He returned to his prior, conventional swing. Took him a couple months to get his swing back.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have tried it, though didn't make a commitment to it. It felt awkward to me. There is probably a reason no pro golfers have used it though some have tried the "stack and tilt" method, which is similar to Moe's style. Moe was a quirky and unique person as well as golfer, and I don't know if anyone can copy his style effectively.
I agree. The more videos I watched on the subject the more I felt that Moe was an idiot-savant with a repeatable golf swing. I read today that par shooters averaged 3 years to shoot par for the first time. It looks like I peaked 50 years ago when I was pretty bad.

I have been very impressed with Shawn Clement's approach to the game. He has over 300 videos on youtube. not a lot of do this and do that

His message boils down to if you can swing a hammer, skim a stone or throw a bag of cement in the back of a truck your body already knows how to swing a club.

Last edited by tomwed; 08-08-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
swing, bit, passed, simple, youtube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.