Repairing Ball Marks

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Platinum member
Default Repairing Ball Marks

We have not had this rant in awhile, so it might as well be me to make it

I played De La Vista today and the greens had been sanded. They were in terrible shape. But this does not mean you don’t need to repair your ball marks! I bet I repaired four or five ball marks per green in addition to mine.

Come on folks, let’s all help take care of our courses!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

You mean the snowbirds are back
Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
You mean the snowbirds are back
Pitchmark repairs, sand trap raking are like stop signs, for the other people, not the special ones.
However. Most remarks about poor course conditions, etiquete etc. always seem to be when the courses are the sole posesion of the all year rounders.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Thank you
Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Pitchmark repairs, sand trap raking are like stop signs, for the other people, not the special ones.
However. Most remarks about poor course conditions, etiquete etc. always seem to be when the courses are the sole posesion of the all year rounders.
On the brighter side I haven't been hit upon since they've left so far.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
On the brighter side I haven't been hit upon since they've left so far.
Aww, I bet you miss them!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Sage

There are a fair amount of golfers who didn't golf til they moved here and don't know the rules of golfing. In that case many don't like to be "told" neither.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

After the rain yesterday, my threesome teed off at Kilimanjaro to Kenya at 1pm. We finished at 5:30, we were behind a foursome that had no clue how to move along. When one lost a ball, all 4 looked, the two carts were always going from one side of the fairway to the other, sometimes even coming back up the fairway. We complained to the marshall while waiting about ten minutes on the 8th hole, he said just what the previous poster said, many of these people didn't start play until they moved here and had never heard the phrase 'let faster players play through'. I know at 'Good Golf School' it was never mentioned. Since we were one hole from the turn, the marshall said he would call the starter at Kenya, well when we got to the 10th hole, the foursome was on the tee hitting. They even had the handicap accommodation parking both of their carts next to the greens.

I carry two of these in my pocket, yesterday with the soft greens I repaired at least 30 pitch marks.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
After the rain yesterday, my threesome teed off at Kilimanjaro to Kenya at 1pm. We finished at 5:30, we were behind a foursome that had no clue how to move along. When one lost a ball, all 4 looked, the two carts were always going from one side of the fairway to the other, sometimes even coming back up the fairway. We complained to the marshall while waiting about ten minutes on the 8th hole, he said just what the previous poster said, many of these people didn't start play until they moved here and had never heard the phrase 'let faster players play through'. I know at 'Good Golf School' it was never mentioned. Since we were one hole from the turn, the marshall said he would call the starter at Kenya, well when we got to the 10th hole, the foursome was on the tee hitting. They even had the handicap accommodation parking both of their carts next to the greens.

I carry two of these in my pocket, yesterday with the soft greens I repaired at least 30 pitch marks.

The Villages Florida
While I share your frustration toward those who don't bother to repair their pitchmarks...I don't agree with using the tool you're showing.

The problem with that particular design, is that it encourages a player to insert the prongs and then 'push down' on it to 'lift up' the grass using the red-dot portion as a 'fulcrum'...which can do more damage than doing nothing.

Which is the primary reason we see so many round, old brown pitchmarks...that are barren of grass.

How to repair a pitchmark - St Andrews Links Blog

The Villages Florida

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
While I share your frustration toward those who don't bother to repair their pitchmarks...I don't agree with using the tool you're showing.

The Villages Florida
You see the glass is half empty rather than the glass is half full. What you could of said was, if you're using the Scotty Cameron repair tool, 'turn it around backwards, then use it'. Works great for me, easy to find in my pocket, no sharp points, the prongs are about the size of a tee, but you've got two.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
You see the glass is half empty rather than the glass is half full. What you could of said was, if you're using the Scotty Cameron repair tool, 'turn it around backwards, then use it'. Works great for me, easy to find in my pocket, no sharp points, the prongs are about the size of a tee, but you've got two.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Platinum member

Just fix them!
Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
You're dead wrong, as I just like to see things done properly...to take care of the course.

And almost everyone I've watched that uses that type of divot tool, uses it improperly...thereby making the pitchmarks worse.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Sage

Ball Mark Repair Tools - Golf Talk - The Sand Trap .com

Quote:
iacas
-LSW® Co-Author • 5SK® Director of Instructor Development

Those are bad tools. And you shouldn't need "leverage." Leverage implies that you're popping up the divot, which is NOT the way to fix a divot.

It astounds me that Scotty Cameron of all people continues to make divot tools that actually harm putting surfaces more than they help them.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Remember people we own the golf courses. Let's take care of what we own. Fix the ball marks. Rake the traps. If you can't due to a disability of some sort, ask your playing partners. I bet they would help you out.

Tags
marks, ball, repaired, don’t, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.