Hole in One

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2018, 03:04 PM

I've got four flags, one from the 7th at Pebble Beach and then 3 from (much) lesser courses.

Also find it interesting that in the ESPN short about a perfect game in Mini Golf (I never called it 'Putt Putt' golf) there are only like three 18s the whole year on avg in the whole USA.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Have your or yours made a hole in one?

I'm putting together a presentation about "Hole in Ones."
This seems interesting:
There are approximately 450 million rounds of golf played each year in the U.S
Each course reports 10-15 hole in ones each year
A hole in one is scored once every 3,500 golf rounds
Odds of making a hole in one is 1:3500
Only 1-2% of golfers score a hole in one during the year
Average years of playing is 24
Average handicap of golfers making hole in one is 14
Ball used most often is Titleist (45%), Nike (14%), and Top Flite (11%)

Is there information that is particular to the villages about "hole in ones?"
I've made two. I can't tell you the dates but the first was at the Middleton Golf Course in Middleton, MA 130 yards with a nine iron (13th hole I think) and the other was on the seventh hole of Brockton Country Club in Brockton, MA 185 yards with a five iron.

The first was around 1974 and the second maybe 2003.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 PM
Sage

I have a couple of good stories about HIO.

I was playing with a guy once and we came to a 200-yard par 3. I was very proud when I hit a four iron to four feet. One of the guys I was playing with was a higher handicap player. He takes out his driver and hit this low slice. The ball hit a large oak tree to the right of the green and caromed to a stone wall behind the green from where is richocheted into the hole for a one. I made the putt for two and lost the hole.

I knew a guy that was playing Pine Oaks Golf Course in Easton, MA. Pine Oaks is a nine holers and he was playing 18. The sixth hole is a par three right in front of the clubhouse. He made a hole in one on that hole both times around.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Only 1 (so far).

Statistically though, my odds wold increase substantially... if I played executive courses.
The National Hole in One association will not recognize Holes in One on courses that have more than three par threes per nine holes.

But I came within an inch of one on the ninth hole at Silver Lake which is a par four.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

I’ve had two hole-in-ones on championship courses (Vegas & Illinois) and one on an executive course (Sand Hill) here in The Villages. Most golfers will agree a bit of luck is involved.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefin View Post
I have read in the Villages News Paper recently that there are 6.2 Hole in Ones PER DAY here in The Villages. When the paper lists the achievements weekly, count the number per day. Pretty close to 6.2. Particularly in the winter months when the "birds" are here.
That's interesting. I asked an ambassador and he thinks about 1 a month per exec course. I'll call the phone number someone provided earlier, I appreciate it. I want to get my questions together first.
thank-you

I have one that I can't remember where I was. We were here visiting and I was playing an exec course in the the north end of town. I remember the course had power towers. I was walking from the green to the tee and there was a guy fishing. I stopped to talk and just then a bald eagle swooped down over the water. The next hole was 84 yards and that's where I got a hole in one about 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage

I had two. One in 2012 six months after I started playing at Heron. The other in 2015 at Palmetto.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Two weeks ago one of the fellows I was playing with had a hole-in-one at Mallory. He had never had one before, he's shoots about 90 from the white tees and is 60 years old, a retired Navy Pilot. He went in the clubhouse to report it, and they asked if he wanted a plaque. A regular plaque with the info was $90, and one that had a hole to put the ball and a photo of the actual hole displayed was $105 I believe was the prices, and then $10 handling. He took the more expensive one.

I was playing Belle Glade last year and a new resident of TV from Texas who was 72 years old was playing with us. Not only did he shoot his age, but on Tequesta #6 my neighbor put his ball one foot from the cup, then this fellow gets up and knocks it in the hole. On Thursday I looked in the paper and he had his name for the hole-in-one and for shooting his age. I don't remember his name, but he had a purple golf cart, he was a big Dallas Cowboys fan, on the small side in height with gray hair. It was a pleasant surprise to play with someone you just met and they turn out to be good.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage

When I'm playing in the Tuesday morning men's outing every shot counts. I like the pressure and the chance to win a couple of dollars for the team. But if I'm playing casually the only shot that matters to me is trying for a hole in one because you can win a prize, the certificate. The people I golf with only care if you are keeping up. I could shoot double par and it wouldn't matter to anyone if they weren't waiting for me to hit. I think that's how it should be. So I rarely play a par 3 safe. What is there to gain?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage
Default Fun to share

I have had 3*. Why the *? The third one was at the executive course (not sure they count, but I count them) Amberwood on number 3, tough hole, took a 5 iron. It was my favorite as it was on Christmas day with my Dad (God rest his soul, miss you). I boasted about it here Please forgive my boasting on Christmas Day

My least favorite was during a practice round for a two day member guest. As a practice round there was no closest to pin or any other prizes. It costs me in the neighborhood $180. Everyone knew me and the news spread like wild fire.

My favorite useless golf stories?

Five times in my life I have had four birdies in a row, never five.

One time playing with the pro at Norton CC I made two eagles in a row. First was on a risk reward short par 4 (number 13 for anyone that played there) where I knocked in a 70 yard wedge; next hole was a par 5 where I hit driver, then 5 wood and made putt. Two eagles in a row was likely the most special thing I have done in golf. What are the odds of hitting five good shots in a row? Now I hope to hit two 

Last edited by ajbrown; 06-28-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Got my first one in 58 years last February. It was up north at Oak Ridge CC in Agawam, MA on the par 5, 12th hole. The hole was shortened to a 135 yard uphill par 3 because the fairway was still covered with snow and ice. Hit an 8 iron uphill toward the flag but couldn't see the ball go in the hole. What a surprise when I couldn't find my ball until I looked into the hole : ). The best part is that when I went into the bar to announce my accomplishment and buy the required round of drinks, the bar was empty, so it only cost me two beers, my playing buddie and myself!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Never had a hole in one over all the years I have played.
Got a par once, thanks to a lucky bounce from a sprinkler head!
My wife got a hole in one on her second round, after starting to learn to play. 168yds, par three. Two bounces and straight in.
She has never let me forget it!
Funny thing was, she was submitting the card for handicap rating. She put the card in.
I would have changed to at least a Four!!!(Joking, I hope)

Last edited by Two Bills; 06-29-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 AM
Sage

Not one of mine, but on that affected me. I was playing in our match play tournament and we were tied after 18 holes. We started extra holes on #1 and halved that hole. #2 is a par three with condos on a hill to the left and water right. My opponent pulls his tee shot far left onto the roof of the condos and i’m feeling the match is mine. Except the ball rolls off the roof, falls onto the slope left of the green, rolls onto the green and into the hole. The guy looks at me and says, “Beat that.”
Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM

The Executive Courses in The Villages, I bet, have the highest percentage "Holes in One". (Because you are generally always shooting at the pin as they are mostly all Par 3's. An average golfer (like me) is generally hitting the green on every hole. Also many people play just about every day. When I went to collect one of my Hole in One Certificates, it took them 5 minutes to thumb through the mountain of certificates "THAT WEEK" and my name starts with "C".
Old 06-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Never had a hole in one over all the years I have played.
Got a par once, thanks to a lucky bounce from a sprinkler head!
My wife got a hole in one on her second round, after starting to learn to play. 168yds, par three. Two bounces and straight in.
She has never let me forget it!
Funny thing was, she was submitting the card for handicap rating. She put the card in.
I would have changed to at least a Four!!!(Joking, I hope)
That was a joke...right?
Closed Thread

Tags
hole, year, rounds, making, average

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.