Hole-in-Ones

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2020, 07:59 AM
Platinum member
Default Hole-in-Ones

Below is an article I copied from SwingbySwing.com. I copied the article rather than paste the link mainly because I know how mean posters can get on this site. I am not going to take a chance by “doxing” this person and having them receive undue criticism or comments. Anyway, here is another take on hole-in-ones and our little slice of heaven. My take, I would not count a hole-in-one if it just hits the pvc ring. To many factors involved. If it goes in between the pvc and pin, that is in the hole!

“These are strange times in which we live, but they are not lawless ones, therefore a ruling must be made concerning a Florida golfer.
******* ********* of the Village of **********, a neighborhood in The Villages, Florida made her first hole-in-one on Saturday, April 18 at the El Santiago Executive Golf Course on the first hole. Then she did something even crazier – she made another ace on the next hole.
The odds of two holes-in-one during the same round? Roughly 67 million-to-1, according to the National Hole-In-One Registry.
Unfortunately for **********, her pair of aces have drawn the ire of some hole-in-one truthers on the internet for two reasons.
First, and least controversial, is that her aces came on an executive golf course. For some, that’s a deal-breaker; for others, an ace is an ace.
Secondly — and something only someone lucky enough to be playing golf during the pandemic is fortunate enough to consider — is that her aces came on a course with raised cups, a safety measure many courses are putting into effect to combat common touchpoints on the course.
This is where golfers are playing judge and jury. The USGA made an adjustment to handicap procedures during COVID-19, saying “a temporary measure is in place within the United States to accept scores played under conditions” that include playing with modified cups.
********** aces appear to have come on holes that are not only raised above the surface but also appear larger than typical hole liners. Writer Mark Harris made a swift and direct ruling: no ace.
“This does not count as a hole-in-one,” he wrote. “I’m sorry, mam, but your ball never fell into the hole, you essentially hit the flagstick and that’s literally it. Hats off to hitting two great shots in a row, but how dare you?”
Perhaps Harris’ hard-line stance had something to do with being robbed of his own ace a few days prior.
This is a tough one. Sure, it’s considered “holed” by USGA handicapping’s temporary standards, but is it really an ace?
The safe line to walk here is that if you make an ace during the pandemic with raised cups, you don’t want it to be your first – you can add one of these questionable aces to your tally, but you don’t want it to start your tally, which makes ********** case so interesting. She both started her tally and added to it.
On the bright side, at worst, she started the round birdie-birdie.”
Old 04-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

It the case of pipe sticking out of the hole, Now way knowing if the ball would of actually fell in the hole. I guess if it touching the pipe could assume it may of fell in or the pipe stopped it from running pass the hole. Either way IMO really don’t matter it unofficial anyway unless it was league or tournament play. That would be collective unbiased opinion then.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:35 AM

I got a “Hole in One” yesterday on Mira Mesa #9! I hit a thin shot with a Gap Wedge and it rocketed up the fairway, hit the pvc pipe and bounced off the side of the green!!! The rule in our league is that if the ball hits the cup, it’s in. We called it a hole in one for scoring, but we left the closest to the hole marker in play!! I told the guys I would buy them a drink at Cane Garden when it reopens. We all had a great laugh and it will be a great memory for us all! PS: I didn’t claim a Hole in One certificate at the Starter Shack.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

The other day at Evan Prairie, hole #4 par 3, I hit the green. The cup-cutter put the hole in the wrong place, so I counted as a hole-in-one. My certificate looks great. I taped to the windshield of my golf cart.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:44 AM
Default You are a riot.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The other day at Evan Prairie, hole #4 par 3, I hit the green. The cup-cutter put the hole in the wrong place, so I counted as a hole-in-one. My certificate looks great. I taped to the windshield of my golf cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
ace, hole, made, aces, hole-in-one

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.