How much money do they make?

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Gold member
Default How much money do they make?

After reading the Daily Sun this morning I could not help but wonder how much money they make on golf. 3 million rounds a year. I think the Exec courses are free so I made an educated guess that 30% or 900,000 rounds are played on the Champ courses. At $30.00 average a round that's $27,000,000 . Add the $800.00 priority fee which I have no idea how many there are and that's a pretty good amount of money. I do not know labor costs but most workers are paid minimum wage. I also have no idea of material costs. All I know is that 27 million plus is an awful lot of money.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
After reading the Daily Sun this morning I could not help but wonder how much money they make on golf. 3 million rounds a year. I think the Exec courses are free so I made an educated guess that 30% or 900,000 rounds are played on the Champ courses. At $30.00 average a round that's $27,000,000 . Add the $800.00 priority fee which I have no idea how many there are and that's a pretty good amount of money. I do not know labor costs but most workers are paid minimum wage. I also have no idea of material costs. All I know is that 27 million plus is an awful lot of money.
Sounds like a lot, but consider this:

Maintenance cost on our 9 hole course in central NY was about $150,000 per year, and was only being maintained from April 1 to November 1, 7 months.

Here there are 70 nines to maintain, 12 months a year, so extrapolating this is about 18 million. Plus, they farm out the maintenance so the company is surely making a profit. Then there is still the staff---ambassadors, managers, pro shop workers, tee time office, computer system operators and that cost of maintenance of that equipment and those facilities.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

WELL....I like that when so many golf courses are struggling to survive, ours are doing well. I am a huge fan of capitalism and of decent people making good. If it seems a lot of money, just pretend your son and daughter in law own all of it.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
....I like that when so many golf courses are struggling to survive, ours are doing well.
We are lucky to have such beauty surrounding us.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

We all have the ability to just not play if you feel the price is too high.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

The course prices down here are very reasonable and if they a fortune then we all win. Sounds like capitalism to me.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Gold member

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with "Them" making money.

The Morse family built this place and are entitled to make money.
THEY OWE US NOTHING!

Not saying the Op is complaining but others are. Why? If you had a business you would expect to make money. This is their business. More power to them!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Gold member

My post does not mention anyone making too much money. My only wish is that they would put a little more back into the maintenance of the Champ courses and get with the times as far as newer grasses. I am not asking them to not make money everyone knows they know how to do that.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
My post does not mention anyone making too much money. My only wish is that they would put a little more back into the maintenance of the Champ courses and get with the times as far as newer grasses. I am not asking them to not make money everyone knows they know how to do that.

Not just make money, but take risks with it many times as they purchased new parcels of land and hired the best planners and builders who have stuck with them for many, many years. I really admire hard work and good planning and most of all the end result. A wonderland for grown ups. I never dreamed that my fourth quarter could be this much fun.

Thank you Morses. I would love to shake one of your hands before I exit stage right. What a wonderful place this is.

P.S. I know you don't think they maintain the golf courses well, Waynet, you have voiced that many times, but I think for the money we get good value. Just my opinion and I have lived in golf course communities for 40 years and we paid much more than we do here.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Question

Quote:
If you post is not about anyone making to much money, then WHY did you label your post about money? I agree with others that the owners can/should expect to make a profit!

IF your concern was about maintenance then you should have labeled it so and not quote monetary figures.

Hypocritical post!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Gold member

My basic premise remains the same. The improvements(using Champions Bermuda greens , lowering faces of some bunkers) would cost them nothing more than they spend now. They are remodeling some golf courses and still use the same old 1980's grass that needs lots of attention and almost perfect weather to survive. Tierra was a perfect example. Closed for 8 months, no significant changes. Gracie, I agree with you. I also admire hard work,a vision and good planning. I just do not think these attributes pass on to golf course architecture and maintenance. In my humble opinion they could do much better.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, courses, rounds, idea, million, costs, make, fee, priority, lot, pretty, amount, workers, $800.00, minimum, awful, wage, paid, material, labor, good, 900, 000, golf, year, morning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.