If we live next to an Exec course, can we just walk on and play?

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2015, 12:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Calm down. He said he plays golf, so he doesn't "know nothing about the game." He said he belongs to a private club that allows this to happen. He said he would live on an executive course, (free) not a champion course. Nobody has any proof that every single golf club in the US does not allow this practice.

He asked a simple question, and people are jumping all over him. Just not right.

Those of us who gave our opinion all play Golf. It is very uncommon and looked down on to just walk on a course. It is using property without permission. Some of us have played for decades and played all over the country. I have lived in golf course communities for the last forty years. People would really look down on you if you just walked on without a starter. I guess you CAN, but should you?

Also, you are not supposed to walk for exercise or walk your dog on the course after hours.

5 Things to Know about Buying A House at A Golf Course | Realty 101

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-29-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I play golf too now. I know the rules. I was commenting on the snarkyness of some of the answers to a simple question. No reason to accuse someone of not knowing the game of golf. No reason not to take his initial statements at face value. No reason to be mean.

Go back and read the link I posted. Even some ambassadors allow this to happen. Read Buggyone's post: "If the executive starter shacks are closed in the late evening, there is no problem in going out on your own.

"In this off season, you can just go to almost any executive course after 3 and find it wide open. You will not be paired up hardly ever. I went to Hawks Bay at 6 this evening, played 9 holes with a buddy and home at 7:30."
Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
I play golf too now. I know the rules. I was commenting on the snarkyness of some of the answers to a simple question. No reason to accuse someone of not knowing the game of golf. No reason not to take his initial statements at face value. No reason to be mean.

Go back and read the link I posted. Even some ambassadors allow this to happen. Read Buggyone's post: "If the executive starter shacks are closed in the late evening, there is no problem in going out on your own.

"In this off season, you can just go to almost any executive course after 3 and find it wide open. You will not be paired up hardly ever. I went to Hawks Bay at 6 this evening, played 9 holes with a buddy and home at 7:30."

I apologize. I thought you were a non golfer.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Read Buggyone's post: "If the executive starter shacks are closed in the late evening, there is no problem in going out on your own.
The starter shacks currently close at 5:01 PM, and it gets dark by 6 PM.
I think the shacks usually close about an hour before dark. So golfers occasionally slip on and golf a few holes before dark.
Not many because it's feeding time in The Villages.
However, if the starter shack is open, it's necessary to check in with them.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Also, you are not supposed to walk for exercise or walk your dog on the course after hours.
That's very interesting. At our Country Club, people do both. On days when the course is open, we often see walkers in the very early morning or late evening. When the course is closed because of bad weather, my wife and I often go there, have lunch, and go for a walk, staying on the cart paths, of course.

We also see people walking their dogs in the late evening, and almost all of them have the sense to keep the dogs on a leash. Once I had an unleashed dog come charging up to me while barking in a menacing manner, so I pulled out one of my clubs and took a swing at it. The dog backed off and its owner quickly came up and put a leash on it. Other than that one incident, no problems.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
That's very interesting. At our Country Club, people do both. On days when the course is open, we often see walkers in the very early morning or late evening. When the course is closed because of bad weather, my wife and I often go there, have lunch, and go for a walk, staying on the cart paths, of course.

We also see people walking their dogs in the late evening, and almost all of them have the sense to keep the dogs on a leash. Once I had an unleashed dog come charging up to me while barking in a menacing manner, so I pulled out one of my clubs and took a swing at it. The dog backed off and its owner quickly came up and put a leash on it. Other than that one incident, no problems.

This place is different than any place I have ever known, AND it is MUCH larger than most people are expecting. It works because people, FOR THE MOST PART, respect the deed restrictions and the rules and are intrinsically caring and respectful of others, FOR THE MOST PART..

I love it here. Golf is very different than golf in the outside world, but I still love the golf-y atmosphere, and the beautiful vistas of golf courses everywhere. And I have always loved golfers. Real golfers pretty much always act like ladies and gentlemen.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

So now you know... No walking on...No leisurely walks...No dog walking. Thank you for asking.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Sage

Last edited by tomwed; 12-30-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The starter shacks currently close at 5:01 PM, and it gets dark by 6 PM.
I think the shacks usually close about an hour before dark. So golfers occasionally slip on and golf a few holes before dark.
Not many because it's feeding time in The Villages.
However, if the starter shack is open, it's necessary to check in with them.
That's true. But in the summertime, do they adjust their hours? Doesn't get late till 7 or so.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Real golfers pretty much always act like ladies and gentlemen.
I agree with that. Most of us who play a lot of golf know how to act.

One of the members of our Board of Directors at our club, a very good golfer, often walks his dog along the perimeter of our course during the day. He never interferes with our play and is never in our line of vision when we are hitting our shots, so it is not a problem.

Occasionally I see people, like high-school kids, walking on our course and we can tell they have no idea what they are doing. I don't think they understand how far golf balls travel and how wild some golfers are. None of them have ever been hit, to my knowledge.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's true. But in the summertime, do they adjust their hours? Doesn't get late till 7 or so.
Yes, the later it gets dark, the later the starter shacks stay open.
I think there is always a window of an hour or so after the shacks close when people could slip on and golf a few holes.
I get the feeling walk-ons are discouraged, perhaps a liability issue?
We certainly wouldn't want a golfer to have a medical problem with no-one around.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
So now you know... No walking on...No leisurely walks...No dog walking. Thank you for asking.
That pretty much sums it up!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Yes, the later it gets dark, the later the starter shacks stay open.
I think there is always a window of an hour or so after the shacks close when people could slip on and golf a few holes.
I get the feeling walk-ons are discouraged, perhaps a liability issue?
We certainly wouldn't want a golfer to have a medical problem with no-one around.
Residents at many executive courses are lined up as the starter shack closes so they can play golf. I've seen them. It doesn't appear to me that the "Starter" cared that they were going to play following the closing of the shack. Unless there has been a recent change in policy this happens on a regular basis.

There is approximately just north of an hour of daylight left for golfers as they "slip" on the course to golf.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Residents at many executive courses are lined up as the starter shack closes so they can play golf. I've seen them.
Why in the world would they do that, when they can play for free anytime?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
A heart attack on a golf course. Do you know of a better way to go?
Closed Thread

Tags
live, house, busy, exec, walk, spring, virginia, hope, sell, plan, villages, courses, move, ideally, florida, groups, play, large, break, walked, started, wife, problem, playing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.