inexcusable slow play

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Dang! The Villages has some darn good quality problems. I just had to qualify for a new Women's golf club here in California. I'm a single digit handicap, I still had to show that I could play golf, understand the rules and etiquette. Not only did I need to shoot under 108, I scored an 82. I must play golf with board members for five additional rounds to make sure I'm in good standing. Slow play is not tolerated at all and I walk the courses here.

We are taught, get to your ball, be ready to hit, putt out and go to the next tee box. Plus we play in groups of five. A good round is five hours. I'm looking forward to TV.

Last week we had a rainy day, imagine in southern California. Of course I'm playing golf, I get hooked up with an adorable 36 year old male (Davis). I'm in a cart, this is my 2nd round of golf for the day. I asked the kid if he wanted to play Ninja golf? He looked at me and said, Yeah. We played 18 holes in two hours. We giggled the entire round and played really well. I won $.50 on the skins game. Even with Ninja golf there needs to be a bet.

So what's my point? I just think many golfers are not educated about ready golf and hopefully those of us who are, can pass on our knowledge on to them without an attitude.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

I have found that most backups occur at the par 3's. I don't golf that often, so my perception may be incorrect. I have found that waving the next group up to hit on the par 3's before your group putts out increases the speed of play and helps elimintate those par 3 backups. I don't golf very well but absolutely love the game. So when I am joining a group of strangers to complete a foursome, I tell them that I am not very good, but I play fast and respect golf course etiquette. I find that even the low handicap players respect this and enjoy playing with me. My pet peeve.......people who "ball hawk". You know the ones, they hit their ball and then walk along all the deep rough and water hazards looking for lost balls from other golfers. They count the day a success not if they golf well, but if they end the day with more golf balls than they began it with.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage
Default Speed Golf

I could not find any decent videos on the subject, but if you have never heard of speed golf it is really amazing to watch players that are good at it. The really good players shoot in the 70s and play in 45 minutes. It has nothing to do with helping the situation here, but fun IMO...

I am not sure I could make it three holes <<where is fat icon>>

http://www.speedgolfinternational.com/press3.htm
Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
One thing to speed up play easily is to putt out on the green. In other words the person furthest from the hole putts first and continues putting until he or she holes out. Then the next furthest player does the same thing until all are holed out. This prevents people from putting, marking their ball, letting the next person putt etc. etc. The is a relatively painless way of speeding up play. I don't recall this being mentioned on this thread.

John
Not in total agreement with this. In my experience sometimes it is best to mark and let someone else go IF they have already spent time reading their putt.

I agree with you if you only leave a short putt but if you have to read then not sure it's the most expedient.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM

EVERY golf course that is any good has marshalls that enforce pace of play.
Every golfer on the course has a responsibility to monitor the pace of their group and do whatever it takes to keep up with the group ahead of them. If that means 'picking up' after a quadruple bogey, playing 'ready golf' all the time for slow players. I have seen, too often, groups that make it a social outing---they think it is "their" course for the day and spend a lot of time in casual conversation, rather than each separating, moving to their ball and get set to hit (determine yardage,etc). Too many times, I see 1 or 2 players in a 4-some, who belong at tee boxes up closer. PLAY THE COURSE at your level of competence. The rest of the people in your group will appreciate it, along with ALL the other golfers behind you. Golf is not much fun when you stand idle for inordinate amounts of time between shots/holes. Everyone paid good money to play the course, but if you or a couple others in your group are the cause, swallow your pride and do what is necessary. You can make it pleasant golfing for your group, and all the others behind you. So, you can be the cause, or you can be the solution---make it the latter.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Gold member

It's great to see all these fast play suggestions and I'm sure most of us play at a good pace but if ambassadors and management do not do their part we are all at the mercy of those selfish,me,me.me,golfers that ruin a wonderful game and a wonderful day.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
It's great to see all these fast play suggestions and I'm sure most of us play at a good pace but if ambassadors and management do not do their part we are all at the mercy of those selfish,me,me.me,golfers that ruin a wonderful game and a wonderful day.
...what waynet said!
Most, if not all, the ambassadors I've seen are not interested in any way shape or form of criticizing or "pressing" slow groups to catch up, or step aside. I often wonder if the ambassadors themselves even play or understand the game. IMHO they (ambassadors) are a useless lot over-all. Just my opinion....based solely on my observations.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Gold member

cannot agree more with momar and fourpar.....well stated by both
Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

I was told they also squeeze in 9 holers in between the morning and afternoon wave, which of course would slow down the afternoon wave. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't think the ambassadors have a lot of incentive to promote faster play. They're probably getting paid minimum wage, so (in their minds) why rock the boat and deal with the bad responses they'll get when they try to push the slower players along. Maybe if The Villages had some sort of incentive for players - like if your foursome gets done in the allowable time listed on the card, your name gets put in a hat to win a prize, and have monthly prize drawing or something.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Taj44..........9 hole play is at the end of the pm wave from 1:30 - 2:00. The last pm t-times (after 1:30) are eligible to be changed from 18 to 9 at check in. So if you have the first pm t-time (11:56) and play under 2 hours, you will wait at the turn for the last pm t-time which is 1:56. Hope this helps......
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 AM

I've heard that if an ambassador gets two complaints against them they are fired - automatically. Doesn't matter if the ambassador is enforcing the rules as prescribed or if the complaintant is over aggressive.

Personally, I would prefer to see them able to make groups skip a hole if the fall (say) a hole and a half behind.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post
I've heard that if an ambassador gets two complaints against them they are fired - automatically. Doesn't matter if the ambassador is enforcing the rules as prescribed or if the complaintant is over aggressive.

Personally, I would prefer to see them able to make groups skip a hole if the fall (say) a hole and a half behind.
How about two complains that he (have not seen any woman ambassadors) is not telling slow foursomes to pick up the pace. Maybe they should try woman ambassadors - some men might listen to a woman
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

Is there a published guide or rule book for the ambassadors of what they can and cannot do (what their exact authority is) and if so, can you get your hands on one? Maybe this would be a good question for the "powers-that-be" at the main office. If one of the main goals is to encourage sales, this issue of slow play sure won't bode well with prospects who are golfers.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Sage

I believe that all employees of the golf management group have to undergo extensive training in customer service. One of the tenets is to facilitate enjoyment of the game. Unfortunately, that creates a conflict. Does the ambassador look at the big picture and push the slower group to play faster, perhaps angering them but improving the situation for all the groups behind? Or does the ambassador help the slower group as much as possible, making them feel good, but keeping all the other groups behind them frustrated? It is a no-win situation since either group could have reason, in their minds, to report the ambassador.

I think anger is misplaced if directed at the ambassador. It really is the responsibility of the golfers to maintain a reasonable pace. That said, there have been many posts pro and con pace of play, from the rabbits who want to be done in 2+hours to those that ask what's the rush. The Good Golf School should be a requirement to play on the championship courses and highly recommended for play on the executive courses. At the very least, it may educate people on how to repair a ball mark and how to smooth (not rake!) a sand trap.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post

Just wondering on average how many holes are covered per ambassador? It would seem like there would have to be quite a few in order to effectively make groups skip a hole or monitor the pace that closely.

Also, are there any courses in TV where there is no time limit that those slower players could chose to play at (if they have the common sense to do so) without annoying others by their slow play?
Just courious, nothing moreThe Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.