Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Kirkland (Costco) Golf Balls

Costco Tight-Lipped About Its Mysterious Golf Balls

Quote:
Costco Tight-Lipped About Its Mysterious Golf Balls

Next time you run to Costco for paper towels, baby formula or coffee pods, you might consider dropping another item in your cart: golf balls. That is, if you can find them.

As reported by Forbes this week, Costco's Kirkland Signature golf balls have become a hot commodity at the wholesale club. The first run of the four-piece, urethane-covered balls, which retail for about $30 for a 24 pack (or about $15 per dozen), already have sold out, though the store says more balls should be available by Dec. 20. Yep, just in time for Christmas.

What's the appeal? The affordability, for one, but the balls also appear to perform, with some golfers comparing them to premium priced Tour models (most of which typically retail in the $40-$48/dozen range).

"I am a 7 handicap," a reviewer named Dmun wrote on the Costco site, "and find the distance, control and short game feel are exceptional." Said Tim W: "I've played 2 rounds with these, and they are far better than any other ball I've played. Long distance off the tee and lots of spin with short irons and wedges." Added MrGolf55: "Only problem I see is people are selling these balls on Craig's list and ebay for twice the price."

Costco has been reluctant to discuss the balls and why they can't keep them in stock. When reached by GOLF.com Wednesday, a Costco media relations representative said the company "cannot comment on the Kirkland Signature golf ball at this time." There is a note on the Costco site from company president and CEO Craig Jelinek that reads, "All Kirkland Signature products must be equal to or better than the national brands and must offer a savings to our members."

With that mission in mind perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that the "K-Sig," as some devotees call the ball, would perform well in comparison to big-name brands. But at a price that's about a third of some competitive models, you have to wonder how Costco has done it.

At least part of the answer could lie in another case study: Snell Golf. Like Costco, Snell is a successful newcomer to the ball market that offers a Tour quality multilayer model at a value price (six dozen of Snell's well received My Tour Ball balls cost $157.99, which equates to about $26/dozen). The Massachusetts-based ball maker is able to cut prices relative to national brands by selling direct to customers online and not spending on advertising, marketing or Tour player contracts. Obviously Costco is also cutting costs by buying and selling in bulk, and not supporting the product with any advertising.

But where did the design come from and how does a big box store without any material engineers or resident ball engineers create a Tour model that actually performs? They buy it -- in this case from a ball manufacturer in South Korea called Nassau Golf Co LTD. Though we haven't been able to reach anyone at Nassau, the Costco site (which states clearly that product details come directly from the manufacturer) describes the four-piece construction as consisting of a large, soft core, speed boosting outer core, super fast mantle, and soft urethane cover. The design as described aligns perfectly with what could be considered a generic Tour ball construction that, if properly manufactured, should perform well.

Of course there's only one sure-fire way to know if the K-Sig is right for your game: Wait until they're back on the shelves and go pick up a box for yourself.

Hmmmmm.......
Old 12-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I wonder if they are USGA conforming? For 99% of golfers, neither a golf ball or any golf club is going to make any difference in scoring. Golfers, like bowlers try to buy a better game in a local pro shop, but it just doesn't work.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Sage

They are on the approved list of the USGA. Some testing has been done by players and labs. The consensus is that the ball is right up there with the ProV and other top urethane cover balls. I bought a pack when they first came out and they work well for me. I agree with those who are saying the Ksig is a threat to the mid level balls, since cost conscious golfers now have a tour quality ball that costs less than the mid level ones.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Yeah, yeah, yeah....these sort of claims have been around for 50+ years. Haven't seen a professional yet who willingly gave up a Titleist top notch ball for another brand unless paid to do so. As for most folks...no offense, but 90 percent of you wouldn't be able to detect the difference in a mid level and tour ball.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,592 Times in 5,189 Posts

In my opinion, golf equipment is one of the biggest scams around. If you want to play better, you just need to practice, practice, practice.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

Those new Kirkland balls must be more accurate than all others. We have yet to find a stray one in our yard!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Those new Kirkland balls must be more accurate than all others. We have yet to find a stray one in our yard!
OK, now that was funny.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I wonder if they are USGA conforming? For 99% of golfers, neither a golf ball or any golf club is going to make any difference in scoring. Golfers, like bowlers try to buy a better game in a local pro shop, but it just doesn't work.
Actually, I play with some medium high handicap players. They asked me why my ball stops and theirs doesn't. I asked what kind of ball they play and they all play low spin distance balls. One of them tried a higher spinning ball and his ball stopped much sooner than the distance ball that he normally played.

People should realized that they're only going to get a few more yards by playing a distance ball. And the shorter you hit it, the less the difference is going to be between a low spinning ball and a high spinning ball. But, if you are a reasonably decent chipper you'll probably shoot lower scores with the higher spinning ball.

I went through the same thing with my son who plays in the mid eighties. When he was down here he told me that he plays the cheapest balls he can find because he can't tell the difference. Once I had him hit a few short shots with one of my balls, he figured out why the balls he was playing were not good for his game. I gave him a couple dozen good balls for Christmas.

it may only affect two or three shots per round, but a decent ball will help you shoot lower scores than a $500 driver that helps you to hit it ten yards further.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Gold member
Default A decent ball...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Actually, I play with some medium high handicap players. They asked me why my ball stops and theirs doesn't. I asked what kind of ball they play and they all play low spin distance balls. One of them tried a higher spinning ball and his ball stopped much sooner than the distance ball that he normally played.

People should realized that they're only going to get a few more yards by playing a distance ball. And the shorter you hit it, the less the difference is going to be between a low spinning ball and a high spinning ball. But, if you are a reasonably decent chipper you'll probably shoot lower scores with the higher spinning ball.

I went through the same thing with my son who plays in the mid eighties. When he was down here he told me that he plays the cheapest balls he can find because he can't tell the difference. Once I had him hit a few short shots with one of my balls, he figured out why the balls he was playing were not good for his game. I gave him a couple dozen good balls for Christmas.

it may only affect two or three shots per round, but a decent ball will help you shoot lower scores than a $500 driver that helps you to hit it ten yards further.
will not lower your score unless you know how to utilize it's benefits. Most golfers will not benefit from them. Most can't spin a ball intentionally. Most can't figure out how to chip properly. Most can't read a green to save their lives. They do it for fun and that's the way it should be. If I give them ten different balls to hit they'll hit it ten different ways.

If they want to score lower then they need to practice properly and know why their swing does or does not do when they hit it right....or wrong.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah....these sort of claims have been around for 50+ years. Haven't seen a professional yet who willingly gave up a Titleist top notch ball for another brand unless paid to do so. As for most folks...no offense, but 90 percent of you wouldn't be able to detect the difference in a mid level and tour ball.
Tiger Woods has decided to play the Bridgestone ball next season and as far as we know, he has no contract with any company.

Several players that have contracts with companies like Callaway and Taylor Made are still playing the Titleist ball, but many are not. Do you honestly think that Phil Mickelson would play the Callaway ball if he thought that he got better performance out of the Titleist?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
I can't wait to see how Bubba does playing pink or white or lime green golf balls from Volvik.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Sage

Again, golf equipment is a scam. Tour pros are paid to use and endorse a particular golf ball. When Tiger Woods was winning, he used a Nike ball and people bought what they thought was the same ball. But, it turned out that the ball Tiger played was custom made and not available for sale. Eventually, Nike had to admit that they had defrauded the public. But, in fact, pros will play with and endorse just about any equipment, if they can make money on the endorsement. I recently saw a television commercial where Tom Watson endorses a golf ball and says, "this is the ball that changed the ball". Really? What a bunch of hogwash!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Again, golf equipment is a scam. Tour pros are paid to use and endorse a particular golf ball. When Tiger Woods was winning, he used a Nike ball and people bought what they thought was the same ball. But, it turned out that the ball Tiger played was custom made and not available for sale. Eventually, Nike had to admit that they had defrauded the public. But, in fact, pros will play with and endorse just about any equipment, if they can make money on the endorsement. I recently saw a television commercial where Tom Watson endorses a golf ball and says, "this is the ball that changed the ball". Really? What a bunch of hogwash!
Again, Tiger has the decided to play the Bridgestone ball this year and as far as I know he has no contract with them.

The most important thing about a ball is that it fits your game. The most important part of the game that the ball can effect is short shots.

If you want to play with a marble don't expect to be able to get it to stop when you hit a good pitch shot.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 AM

I have a couple dozen of these, great golf balls for the Price.

Last edited by telder; 01-10-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Again, Tiger has the decided to play the Bridgestone ball this year and as far as I know he has no contract with them.

The most important thing about a ball is that it fits your game. The most important part of the game that the ball can effect is short shots.

If you want to play with a marble don't expect to be able to get it to stop when you hit a good pitch shot.
Well, I just Googled Tiger Woods and Bridgestone, and there is a detailed article about his new endorsement contract with Bridgestone.
Closed Thread

Tags
costco, balls, ball, golf, tour

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.