Kirkland (Costco) Golf Balls

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Well, I just Googled Tiger Woods and Bridgestone, and there is a detailed article about his new endorsement contract with Bridgestone.
OK, I didn't know that. When I first noticed that he was playing the ball I could find nothing about an endorsement deal. He was evidently playing the ball to see if it was to his liking.

I do know that when he went from Titleist to Nike his Nike contract allowed him to play any products that he liked until Nike came up with one that satisfied him. He continued to play Titleist clubs and ball for quite a while. Eventually, they came up with an iron that he liked. Then he switched drivers and eventually the wedges and ball. He had a Titleist three wood in his bag for a long time into his Nike contract.

I know that Nike made hundreds of different prototype balls for him to test until they found something that satisfied him.

Most tour players are not going to change anything unless they are sure it's going to be better or at least equal to what they're playing.

In fact, when Taylor Made wanted their player to play a Taylor Made ball, the hired Dean Snell, the man who invented the Pro V1, away from Titleist. The new Taylor Made tour ball was basically the same as the Pro V1 with improvements. I met Dean Snell and he told me that the Taylor Made ball was what the Pro V1 would have become if he had stayed with Titleist.

So it's not like a company is going throw a lot of money at a guy and he's going to play with something that he doesn't think will benefit his game.

Making a golf ball is tricky business. Most people are surprised to find out that every ball has thousands of patents. Titleist owns many of these patents and leases or sells them to other ball companies. If you develop a ball chances are that you have infringed upon a patent.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I can't wait to see how Bubba does playing pink or white or lime green golf balls from Volvik.
I'm surprised to see how many of the LPGA Players are playing that ball. Volvik is evidently on to something. I think a few PGA Tour players have gone over to it as well.

I would suspect that Bubba is going to play a pink ball.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Well, I just Googled Tiger Woods and Bridgestone, and there is a detailed article about his new endorsement contract with Bridgestone.
Here's an article regarding Tiger and his contract with Bridgestone.
As you can see in the quote below taken from that article, he tried out several different brands and settle on Bridgestone before signing a deal with them.
It's never just about the money when it comes to equipment for top tour players.

Tiger Woods Signs Multi-Year Contract to Play Bridgestone Golf Balls | Golf.com

Quote:
Shortly after the Nike announcement, Woods's agent, Mark Steinberg, asked Bridgestone to send Woods a shipment of Tour B330 and Tour 330-S balls. (Woods's management team also requested balls from other brands.) Woods conducted trials in relative seclusion -- representatives from the manufacturers were not on-site to capture data such as ball speed, spin or launch angle.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Again, golf equipment is a scam. Tour pros are paid to use and endorse a particular golf ball. When Tiger Woods was winning, he used a Nike ball and people bought what they thought was the same ball. But, it turned out that the ball Tiger played was custom made and not available for sale. Eventually, Nike had to admit that they had defrauded the public. But, in fact, pros will play with and endorse just about any equipment, if they can make money on the endorsement. I recently saw a television commercial where Tom Watson endorses a golf ball and says, "this is the ball that changed the ball". Really? What a bunch of hogwash!
While it's true that Nike created a different ball for Tiger, this is the only example that I could find of a company making a product for a tour player that is not available to the general public. Every other company states that you can buy the exact equipment that the tour pros are playing.

No other company has been sued over this.

I wonder if this kind of decision is part of what cause Nike Golf to go under. It is very expensive to make a small quantity of a different ball for a tour player. Why they just didn't put the same ball out to the public is a mystery. It makes no sense from a business standpoint.

But the fact that this was found out and they were sued should tell everyone that no one else is doing it. If they did, these same watchdog groups would be suing them as well.

You can read statements from Titleist and Callaway here:
Nike admits that Tiger uses different ball in play | Online Athens

Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It's never just about the money when it comes to equipment for top tour players.
That statement is absolutely false.

There have been quite a few top players, who after a modicum of success, were lured to different equipment/ball makers... because of lucrative endorsement deals.

Here's but a short list, of the most high profile ones who did it...and had their games suffer as a result.

Ranking the 5 Worst Equipment Changes by a PGA Tour Player | Bleacher Report
Quote:

Often, a player makes a change for a lucrative contract like Rory McIlroy did in 2013.

Going to a new set of clubs looked like a really bad idea as he struggled for most of the year.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

This may be somewhat off topic, but I have noticed that many golfers putt with a cross handed grip. This was never done in the old days. I wonder if there is any objective evidence that this grip has improved the overall statistics in putting? If so, why?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
This may be somewhat off topic, but I have noticed that many golfers putt with a cross handed grip. This was never done in the old days. I wonder if there is any objective evidence that this grip has improved the overall statistics in putting? If so, why?
I'm not sure there would ever be a way to scientifically quantify that, but on an anecdotal and personal level...it certainly helped me.

I went cross-handed (left hand low) over 20 years ago and found that it kept me from breaking my wrists and helped to develop more of a pendulum stroke.

After I switched, I read an article where the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) Nicklaus said that the only thing he would have changed...was to have started out putting cross-handed.

Left Hand Low Putting: What You MUST Know | RotarySwing.com
Quote:

Jack Nicklaus said if he could go back and change one thing about his golf game, he’d start off with left hand low putting.

That's a pretty good endorsement IMHO.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 AM

I have done business with Costco since the early 90's. Believe any product that has the Kirkland Signature name on it IS equal to or better than the top branded products. I personally have developed a Kirkland Signature product with and for Costco. The research and product development including inspection of the manufacturing plant is unparalleled. The reason the price/value is so great is that Costco negotiates a fair price but limits the their profit margin to no more than 14%----period. Hopefully they will get the KS golf balls back soon.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm surprised to see how many of the LPGA Players are playing that ball. Volvik is evidently on to something. I think a few PGA Tour players have gone over to it as well.

I would suspect that Bubba is going to play a pink ball.
I purchased a few Volvik balls from Golfsmith during their going out of business sale. I didn't see much difference from NXTs or the E series balls, other than thier funky finish. They are now in the pond on #4 at Mangrove. I'll just stick with the Bridgestone E6 or E7 ballls.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Gold member
Default Actually putting "left hand low"...

Quote:
for right handed players has been around for decades....yup the old days too. What it helps prevent is the left wrist from bowing on the follow through.

What it proves is that even the professionals will try anything to keep the putter on the line they've chosen. If it works then it works....after all putting is MAGIC!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 PM

Costco Kirkland Signature Golf Balls on sale Costco on line again today
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Except you can't add any to your cart. Must be sold out already.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:33 PM

I've never tried the Kirkland are they really that legit?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
As for most folks...no offense, but 90 percent of you wouldn't be able to detect the difference in a mid level and tour ball.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Off topic remark

Quote:
A quick remark on the "left hand low" form of putting. Dave Pelz, a former NASA engineer, and his associates have done research on this and has determined "left hand low" is (according to Pelz and their research) a "better" putting method than the old standard used for years by professional golfers. In short, you can google this for additional research and information. Dave Pelz is considered a short game guru (lacking another word) in the professional golfing world. Sorry off the Costco golf ball subject. I usually get 2 or 3 dozen ProV1 Titleist at Christmas so maybe I will ask for some of these Kirkland golf balls for my birthday.

Last edited by justjim; 05-30-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Grammar
Closed Thread

Tags
costco, balls, ball, golf, tour

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.