Kudos to Tierra Ambassador

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Default Kudos to Tierra Ambassador

After waiting behind 5:00 start group (with a couple true young novices) at 1st tee, we found it necessary to jump up to 2nd hole and play.

Let me explain: As we drove by we noted, 3 of the 4 players had taken at least 6 shots and were still about 100 yards from the green. One "player" (looked like a 20-something) had attempted 3 shots from the gold tees then was persuaded by his sponsor to move up to the whites; proceeding then to hit a 4th tee shot out of bounds.

This was our 1st experience like this in playing over 150 rounds at TV; obviously an aberration, but anyway, we suggest folks with guests that want to play golf - make sure their guests play courses and tee positions within their capabilities.

We were relieved to have the whole open course ahead of us and of course never saw these folks again; it couldn't have been a good golfing time for them. It would have been miserable golf for anyone stuck behind this group.

Anyway, kudos to the ambassador who stopped and talked to us at the 2nd green, saying thanks to us for jumping ahead as the group on the 1st hole was still struggling.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Sage
Default If courtesy ruled the day

Grayesun,
I applaud you for doing the right thing calmly without raising a stink.

The person who hosted the visiting non-golfers, on the other hand, was discourteous to say the least! I witnessed a great lesson yesterday in a better way to handle having a young guest who wants to learn golf. I was surprised that a member of my ladies golf group brought her visiting grandson, along with his junior set of clubs, to join our weekly Play Day. I ended up in a foursome with her.

Turned out the tike could hit a mean drive-- for his age. Ugh. I was sure our group would hold up the field. Nope. She explained to him that he would have to keep up. When he hit an errant shot, she made him drop his ball next to the "best ball" and hit from there. When he complained that his "papa" didn't make him do this, she explained that "pace of play" is part of being a good golfer. She said that if he ever wanted to play in a group, good sportsmanship was as much a part of the game as being able to hit the ball.

Guess what? It made him feel important that he was learning "good sportsmanship". He started picking up on his own. She only had to tell him once to mark his ball on the green, not walk on anyone's line and move far enough from the hole to not leave a shadow for the person putting.

Instead of feeling put down, she made him feel like a little man. She made him proud. She made us proud too.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Default Tsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
After waiting behind 5:00 start group (with a couple true young novices) at 1st tee, we found it necessary to jump up to 2nd hole and play.

Let me explain: As we drove by we noted, 3 of the 4 players had taken at least 6 shots and were still about 100 yards from the green. One "player" (looked like a 20-something) had attempted 3 shots from the gold tees then was persuaded by his sponsor to move up to the whites; proceeding then to hit a 4th tee shot out of bounds.

This was our 1st experience like this in playing over 150 rounds at TV; obviously an aberration, but anyway, we suggest folks with guests that want to play golf - make sure their guests play courses and tee positions within their capabilities.

We were relieved to have the whole open course ahead of us and of course never saw these folks again; it couldn't have been a good golfing time for them. It would have been miserable golf for anyone stuck behind this group.

Anyway, kudos to the ambassador who stopped and talked to us at the 2nd green, saying thanks to us for jumping ahead as the group on the 1st hole was still struggling.
I have found when playing "twilight" golf (and the $6.00 greens fee) you might encounter more beginner golfers than during regular hours. It works out to be about the same price for them to play a championship course than an executive course. The same thing happens on Christmas day when the green fees are waived and everyone can play the championship courses for free.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Grayesun,
I applaud you for doing the right thing calmly without raising a stink.

The person who hosted the visiting non-golfers, on the other hand, was discourteous to say the least! I witnessed a great lesson yesterday in a better way to handle having a young guest who wants to learn golf. I was surprised that a member of my ladies golf group brought her visiting grandson, along with his junior set of clubs, to join our weekly Play Day. I ended up in a foursome with her.

Turned out the tike could hit a mean drive-- for his age. Ugh. I was sure our group would hold up the field. Nope. She explained to him that he would have to keep up. When he hit an errant shot, she made him drop his ball next to the "best ball" and hit from there. When he complained that his "papa" didn't make him do this, she explained that "pace of play" is part of being a good golfer. She said that if he ever wanted to play in a group, good sportsmanship was as much a part of the game as being able to hit the ball.

Guess what? It made him feel important that he was learning "good sportsmanship". He started picking up on his own. She only had to tell him once to mark his ball on the green, not walk on anyone's line and move far enough from the hole to not leave a shadow for the person putting.

Instead of feeling put down, she made him feel like a little man. She made him proud. She made us proud too.

That is great to hear. We did the same with our grandson. We took him to an executive course in Ohio at a slow time and told the group behind we would NOT hold up play, and we didn't.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM

Grandma's Rule!!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Had the misfortune of playing 2:45 for 9 hole twilight golf last night (not at Tierra). Supposedly unlimited (more than 9 holes) but dark when we finished. It's great that new golfers can try the championship courses at a reasonable rate after 5pm (6.00). However they really need to learn course etiquette as pertains to multiple (3 and more, count em) t-shots in the water or out of bounds from the "back tees" and not only 2 or 3 putt but 4 and 5 putt greens. Apparently the ambassadors are powerless when it comes to maintaining "pace of play".

Thanks, I feel better now............

Last edited by chuckster; 07-31-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 AM

We got a waiver of age from Glenview Championship Course's Golf Pro to allow our 9 yr old grandson to join us on the Executive Courses. He loved playing the par 3s and has become a really good golfer for his age. We enjoy teaching him golf ettiquette as well as rules of the game. Now his grandpa has the distinction of being the BEST-GRANPA ever for introducing him to the game.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.