Friendly Tees and "Skill Appropriate" Courses

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Default Friendly Tees and "Skill Appropriate" Courses

My Observation is that the Friendly Tees have been a good innovation to our championship courses. It moves the game along for those golfers who enjoy the game at shorter distances. I can't help but wonder if the concept could be extended to entire exec courses. Perhaps on level 3 and 4 courses, the time per hole could be enforced and even reduced. For level 1 and 2 course, maybe a more relaxed pace would be permitted. Maybe one course north and another one south could be designated as a "new golfer" course. We all know that one can wait only so long to hit the next shot but after some "tipping point" you have to warm up and get loose again after waiting "too long." And then there is the guy (group) who plays the back tees and thinks he is being true to the game by NEVER PICKING UP after each 80 yard shot.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM

I like the idea of having one level I exec. course north and south for the less expierenced golfers. It would be less intimadating for some, and would pair up like kinds together. Everyone has to start somewhere. It wouldn't be a bad idea to post in large print the days and times at the starter shack of the "good golf" classes.. Some people are unaware of the the basic golf classes available for them.

Played Turtle Mound a couple of months ago as a walk-on fouth. One fellow said this was only his second time ever playing. He teed off with a 3 iron on a 108 yd hole. Three shots (plus 3 whiffs later) he was chipping on with a wedge. I watched in disbelief as he then putted with his wedge. His cousin was part of the foursome, and asked him why he wasn't using his putter on the green. Get this answer: "I am using a putter, it's got a "P" on the
club" ???????? A youtube moment for sure.

When I first took up golf a long long tiime ago, I went to the driving range, chipping and putting green for a month before even thinking of playing a "real course".
Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

And we wonder why things are slow on the golf courses! Thanks for sharing your story. I agree with the idea about trying to enforce playing times for the higher level of difficulty exec. courses.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The problem is when we are in the high season is requesting and getting the courses with the level of difficulty that you ask for.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Default friendly tees

I think it's about ego to some degree. I've played all the level 4 courses and invariably am paired with some guy that always plays from the back (black) tee. I play from the gold with a large hdcp (21).

I always ask these guys if they have played the course before and do they know the difficulty of the course. The response is "I want my money's worth," or "all the men play from the black". These same folks seem to be the ones hitting multiple balls, not picking up after double par, and Not Repairing Ball Marks.

I can't believe they are really having fun as the frustration levels are very high. I was taught to play the t that affords you to be on the green in regulation. That means from the t on a par3, one shot.

If anyone wants to see this for real sit at the mailbox on Churchill, across from Belmont and watch them hit from the back t. They have to cross water and a man made landscape barrier plus a greenside bunker. It varies from 175 to 190 yds. A real laugh as I watch them warm up and go "splash one, splash two," most of the time.

My practice is at the driving range, and it should be for these folks too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.