Leaving flag stick in the hole creating new problems.....torn up holes.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Sage

Default Leaving flag stick in the hole creating new problems.....torn up holes.

Played Heron this morning and it was so very obvious the new rule of leaving the flag stick in is now facilitating abuse of the hole opening.
Almost every single hole had some portion of the cup edge broken or crushed out of shape.

So now the the course destroying non divot fillers, non ball mark fixers and non raking bunker players we can add the flag jerking and putter ball retrieving hole tearer uppers.

We still play with the flag out of the hole.

The new rule is just plain stupid. No benefit what so ever with destructive results only.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM

No problem at all where I played today outside of The Villages

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Sage

Only partially agree with you...

Those who insist on trying to remove their ball with a device while the flag is still in is a big negative. Couldn't agree more. But for knowledgeable, caring golfers, the rule is a good one.

Our group plays by the agreement that if you want the flag out, you ask for it to be removed. Otherwise it stays in. It stays in for us almost all the time...and our pace of play on the greens has definitely improved. And of course we remove the ball from the hole by hand.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Sage

In the past month I've played Evans Prairie, Bonifay, Havana (twice) and Belle Glade. No problems noted with any of the holes. Our foursome quit taking the flag out 4 or 5 weeks ago. It's probably because the executives have their share of beginners who don't realize the damage they're causing. Also beginners tend to putt everything out into the cup even if it's under 2 feet, I guess they never heard of a gimme.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage

I think it's a great new rule.

I recall reading a study by Pelz about 30 years ago that said he did an in-depth study and his recommendation was that us amateurs...should always leave it in (when possible back then).

He posited that the stick can/will slow momentum, thereby allowing gravity to have a better chance of overcoming inertia...thus a better chance of the ball falling in the hole.

As for those who try to jerk the ball out of the hole using the flagstick, I've had to stop a number of experienced golfers that I play with often (who DO fix ball marks/rake bunkers/sand divots) from doing just that...and should know better.

I've even offered to get their ball for them, which is usually enough to shame them into bending over...and picking their ball out of the hole by hand.

I've been toying with ideas on inventing a device, such as the current suction cups, to put on the end of putters that would get the ball out of the hole with the stick in...without damaging the hole.

And as I point out to those who try to jerk it out with the stick, a lot who already have the suction cup on their putter handles, why don't they just pull the stick...and then use their suction cups?

First world problems and struggles...are real.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Sage

In thinking further about it (and staying on topic ), I'll bet it won't be long before cup/stick manufacturers come up with a design similar (lighter and curled on the edges, so it won't mark the greens when laid down?) to what is used on most putting greens so that the flagstick has a base on it...thereby making it easier to pull the ball out of the hole by pulling out the flagstick.

In fact, having a broader base might also help keep the flag straighter when the wind is blowing and/or...when the cup is not cut perfectly.

Soooo, never mind about inventing a device for the end of the grip to pull the ball out with the stick in.

Gee, I just saved myself...a whole lot of cerebral work.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Once again I must reconsider what I said.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Once again I must reconsider what I said.

There's no shame in being correct once in a while...even if it was accidental.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 AM
Veteran member

Considering many executive courses are nearly bald, bone dry, and with a crumbling surface, I am suprised that there is not more damage around the cups.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Considering many executive courses are nearly bald, bone dry, and with a crumbling surface, I am suprised that there is not more damage around the cups.
What courses are you playing?
Steve

Tags
hole, flag, rule, leaving, stick