Leaving flag stick in the hole creating new problems.....torn up holes.

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

We played Chula Vista yesterday and noticed the rims of the cups were damaged.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I cannot help but smile when the "speed of play" is mentioned.....in any context here in TV.

The supposed amount of time saved by not removing the flag stick is relatively insignificant compared to the other actions that would save much, much more time.
Ready golf? Get in the cart and take the clubs to the next hole then put them away.

Some what off my topic but just could not resist.....speed of play in TV......
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I cannot help but smile when the "speed of play" is mentioned.....in any context here in TV.

The supposed amount of time saved by not removing the flag stick is relatively insignificant compared to the other actions that would save much, much more time.
Ready golf? Get in the cart and take the clubs to the next hole then put them away.

Some what off my topic but just could not resist.....speed of play in TV......
Good point. But don't you realize all the PGA pro's who live and golf here
Old 03-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
I cannot help but smile when the "speed of play" is mentioned.....in any context here in TV...
So a small improvement in speed of play does not matter...because play is slow in TV? Hmmm. I’ll have to ponder that one a bit.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So a small improvement in speed of play does not matter...because play is slow in TV? Hmmm. I’ll have to ponder that one a bit.
That is one conclusion a person can make, however it was not remotely in my thinking when writing the post, smiling.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
That is one conclusion a person can make, however it was not remotely in my thinking when writing the post, smiling.
Point taken.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 AM

If you are a golfer, you will use your hand or pull the stick out and use the suction cup. If you are a hacker.......learn the game, fix ball marks, fill divots, and use your hand, not the lip on you putter, to retrieve your ball. Before the rule change, too many cups were damaged with players pulling the ball from the cup by the blade end of their putter and damaging the edges of the cup.....then complaining when their putt lipped out. If you can’t bend over, use the word “gimmie”.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 AM

It’s not the rule that’s stupid. It’s the Villagers, most of whom are not golfers but people on a golf course. The rule has had little effect on Championship course cup conditions.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Played Heron this morning and it was so very obvious the new rule of leaving the flag stick in is now facilitating abuse of the hole opening.
Almost every single hole had some portion of the cup edge broken or crushed out of shape.

So now the the course destroying non divot fillers, non ball mark fixers and non raking bunker players we can add the flag jerking and putter ball retrieving hole tearer uppers.

We still play with the flag out of the hole.

The new rule is just plain stupid. No benefit what so ever with destructive results only.
I have mixed feelings about what your saying but basically some people just don't care or they're just to lazy to fix the hole, because it's not their money that their maintaining the golf course with. My biggest problem is ball marks on greens. You can just about figure out who knows etiquette on golf courses. So often I see men hitting from the back tees (black) & women hitting from the men's tees (gold) on executive courses. & a lot of them hit a ball about as far as they can throw. You made a great point though!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 AM

I AGREE. I would rather see the ball drop in the hole than try to hit it more firmly, hoping it hits the pin and goes in. AND, does it speed up play in the Villages? I doubt it. We are seniors, speeding up our game and to what end? Chopping up the lip of the cup for the next foursome-not good. Drop this new ruling. That is my opinion. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Please take care of our golf courses.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM

The rule of leaving the flag stick in is not a stupid rule or even a bad rule. What we have in abundance in TV is BAD GOLFERS! People do repair ball marks, replace and fill divots, or rake bunkers. They also abuse the hole because they are too lazy to properly remove their ball from the hole. If you are so infirm that you cannot properly remove your ball from the hole, I suggest you stop playing golf and take up something less strenuous. Like cards.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:30 AM

One point that I do not see raised in this thread is the changing of the cups. While I certainly concur that it is the golfers causing the cup problem, one of the reasons you don’t see it on Championship courses is the frequency the cups are moved. It’s daily on Championship in most cases. Not so on the Exec courses. Leave pins in, take them out is not going to make a substantial difference in the pace of play on execs. Repairing ball marks will be a problem as long as there are executive courses in The Villages. With regard to those plastic things on the end of a putter, I watched a guy last week use one for 9 holes but you should have seen how quick he bent down to pick up a quarter he found in the cart parking area.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage

And how do these same folks get their T in the ground to drive from??
Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM

I guess I don't understand why leaving the pin in destroys the hole.. seems continually pulling it out and replacing would have that affect. Nothing wrong with the new rule. Its a choice
Closed Thread

Tags
hole, flag, rule, leaving, stick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.