Leaving flag stick in the hole creating new problems.....torn up holes.

Leaving flag stick in the hole creating new problems.....torn up holes.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
What courses are you playing?
Steve
Most between 466 and 466A.
Pimlico, Churchill Greens and Belmont are a disgrace.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:32 AM

I disagree completely about the flag causing problems.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

The new rule is not the problem.
Not needing to pull the flagstick is not the problem.
Removing your ball from the cup with the flagstick in the hole is not the problem.

The problem is the human EFFECT of these. Laziness, Ego, lack of consideration for others, uncaring for property, etc etc.

If a player cannot bend down to remove the ball with the flagstick in, ask fellow players for assist. Or remove the stick THEN insert your removal tool.

We, too, have seen the condition of Exec courses declining - esp care of bunkers and greens and teebox areas. I would hope some education reinforcement would help - notices/pictures at the Starter windows, and mention by Starters & on-course Staff.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 AM

disagree...the holes were being damaged even worse when the flags were taken out due to people using the ball cup on the end of the putter and standing to far from the hole thus crushing the edge. Then you have the people using their putter head to take the ball out of the hole doing even worse damage.

Leaving the pin in is NOT the cause of hole damage! The new rule is great...speeds up play and gives more depth perception for hole location. You can always remove the pin to retrieve your ball if you aren't coordinated enough to get it out with the pin in the cup.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
The new rule is not the problem.
Not needing to pull the flagstick is not the problem.
Removing your ball from the cup with the flagstick in the hole is not the problem.

The problem is the human EFFECT of these. Laziness, Ego, lack of consideration for others, uncaring for property, etc etc.

If a player cannot bend down to remove the ball with the flagstick in, ask fellow players for assist. Or remove the stick THEN insert your removal tool.

We, too, have seen the condition of Exec courses declining - esp care of bunkers and greens and teebox areas. I would hope some education reinforcement would help - notices/pictures at the Starter windows, and mention by Starters & on-course Staff.
Bingo!!!!!! It would do a lot of people a lot of good if they bent over to pick their ball out of the hole with their hand. Please get rid of those silly things on the grip of your putter and get a bit of stretching exercise. And DO NOT under any circumstances retrieve the ball with your putter or any other club.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

We played Chula Vista yesterday and noticed the rims of the cups were damaged.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage

I cannot help but smile when the "speed of play" is mentioned.....in any context here in TV.

The supposed amount of time saved by not removing the flag stick is relatively insignificant compared to the other actions that would save much, much more time.
Ready golf? Get in the cart and take the clubs to the next hole then put them away.

Some what off my topic but just could not resist.....speed of play in TV......
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I cannot help but smile when the "speed of play" is mentioned.....in any context here in TV.

The supposed amount of time saved by not removing the flag stick is relatively insignificant compared to the other actions that would save much, much more time.
Ready golf? Get in the cart and take the clubs to the next hole then put them away.

Some what off my topic but just could not resist.....speed of play in TV......
Good point. But don't you realize all the PGA pro's who live and golf here
Old 03-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I cannot help but smile when the "speed of play" is mentioned.....in any context here in TV...
So a small improvement in speed of play does not matter...because play is slow in TV? Hmmm. I’ll have to ponder that one a bit.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So a small improvement in speed of play does not matter...because play is slow in TV? Hmmm. I’ll have to ponder that one a bit.
That is one conclusion a person can make, however it was not remotely in my thinking when writing the post, smiling.

Tags
hole, flag, rule, leaving, stick