Leaving flag stick in the hole creating new problems.....torn up holes.

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimer737 View Post
I guess I don't understand why leaving the pin in destroys the hole.. seems continually pulling it out and replacing would have that affect. Nothing wrong with the new rule. Its a choice
Because the uninformed/elite/screw the rules crowd insist on retrieving their ball from the hole with the flag in and using their putter to fish the ball out or a ball retriever on the end of the putter or they jerk the flag stick out to pop their ball out......all of which do damage to the edges of the cup.

It is not the rule of leaving the flag in or the flag being in to play out.....but the inconsiderate golfers who do the above.
They all belong to the same group that never follow ANY golf etiquette or consideration for the course or other players.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:33 PM

I just don't understand why people leave it in. There are very few pros that leave it in for putts under 20 feet and those guys are making a living out of golf. Personally, I had one putt dead center in the hole, hardly moving and it hit the flag and bounced back towards me. NEVER again will I leave the flag in.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I just don't understand why people leave it in. There are very few pros that leave it in for putts under 20 feet and those guys are making a living out of golf. Personally, I had one putt dead center in the hole, hardly moving and it hit the flag and bounced back towards me. NEVER again will I leave the flag in.
Leave It In (poke here)

Quote:

Dave Pelz:

I conducted my original Pin In/Pin Out test in 1990, and published the results in the December issue of GOLF Magazine.

The testing was performed with a special putting device built to roll putts accurately aimed with a laser—and a true, pure roll—from two feet away.

We rolled putts at different speeds hitting different parts of the pin on flat, uphill and downhill sloping greens.

The test results were conclusive:

You will hole a higher percentage of putts when you leave the flagstick in.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Goes to show that the Pros don't read that crap in golf magazine!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Because the uninformed/elite/screw the rules crowd insist on retrieving their ball from the hole with the flag in and using their putter to fish the ball out or a ball retriever on the end of the putter or they jerk the flag stick out to pop their ball out......all of which do damage to the edges of the cup.

It is not the rule of leaving the flag in or the flag being in to play out.....but the inconsiderate golfers who do the above.
They all belong to the same group that never follow ANY golf etiquette or consideration for the course or other players.
It is a shame how some people don't care what they do. Same type of people that throw trash along the road.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Courses should adapt the flag sticks similarly to putting green sticks. Where there is a plate at the bottom of the stick that pulls the ball out when the stick is removes. Easy retrieval and no damage to the hole.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenDen View Post
Courses should adapt the flag sticks similarly to putting green sticks. Where there is a plate at the bottom of the stick that pulls the ball out when the stick is removes. Easy retrieval and no damage to the hole.
May have a downside, but sounds at first blush like a good idea, especially in an area like TV.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-14-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
also the thinner fiberglass sticks may be a help in solving this problem. They are far lighter and easier to remove .
Old 03-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Someone needs to watch more golf on TV, on Sunday during the Honda Championship a lot of the pros were leaving the stick in.

Damage to the holes, because some people are lazy and cause damage, every other golfer should have to take the flag out when putting. That's like saying because some people can't swim, we should all wear life preservers in the pool.

I know Villagers usually have big bets on their golf game, but really, pick it up, problem solved.

The Villages Florida
The thing abbout Gimmes is they start off at 6-12 inches, and finish at 2-3 feet. Putt out!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The thing abbout Gimmes is they start off at 6-12 inches, and finish at 2-3 feet. Putt out!
Exactly!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Post #6.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...547-post6.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
In thinking further about it (and staying on topic ), I'll bet it won't be long before cup/stick manufacturers come up with a design similar (lighter and curled on the edges, so it won't mark the greens when laid down?) to what is used on most putting greens so that the flagstick has a base on it...thereby making it easier to pull the ball out of the hole by pulling out the flagstick.

In fact, having a broader base might also help keep the flag straighter when the wind is blowing and/or...when the cup is not cut perfectly.

Soooo, never mind about inventing a device for the end of the grip to pull the ball out with the stick in.

Gee, I just saved myself...a whole lot of cerebral work.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimer737 View Post
I guess I don't understand why leaving the pin in destroys the hole.. seems continually pulling it out and replacing would have that affect. Nothing wrong with the new rule. Its a choice
There is nothing wrong with the rule. I've seen several people jerk the flag out of the hole hoping the ball will come out with the flag, and invariably it damages the edge of the hole. I've seen others carefully remove the flag and remove the ball with a suction cup.
Closed Thread

Tags
hole, flag, rule, leaving, stick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.