Golf Clubs for Noob, buying used

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Default Golf Clubs for Noob, buying used

OKay, so the other thread convinced me that it makes sense to buy a used set of clubs for my Wife and myself to learn to plaY golf.

That of course leads to the next question - what should we buy. It might be obvious to you, but we know NOTHING, I assume there is cheap junk and expensive junk. And I assume there is cheap reasonable quality to learn on, and expensive quality to learn on.

What advice for what to look for - brand name, features, etc.

Do we need a full set of 1/2 set?

Should the clubs be "serviced" by a repair ship?

What kind of bag - what features, etc. and a bag cart? (or rent that?)

Tees? Balls? Divot repair kits/devices?

Clothing, shoeing, gloves, etc.

Lions and Tigers or Bears - Oh My!

Rent a golf cart or walk the course?

Thanks in Advance!

Frank
Old 10-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
OKay, so the other thread convinced me that it makes sense to buy a used set of clubs for my Wife and myself to learn to plaY golf.

That of course leads to the next question - what should we buy. It might be obvious to you, but we know NOTHING, I assume there is cheap junk and expensive junk. And I assume there is cheap reasonable quality to learn on, and expensive quality to learn on.

Thanks in Advance!

Frank
I would buy a half set, but if the price is good for a full set, then why buy them. I wouldn't spend more than $50 to $100. A half set would be the irons 9, 7, 5, PW, Driver, 3 Wood and putter. Having a SW or 56 degree wedge would be good for sand traps. That's all you need to get by. Go to Walmart and buy a bag of tees, some cheap balls and a divot tool. You can use a coin as a ball marker. The brand of clubs isn't going to matter now until you know something. Going with a good name on used clubs, Taylormade, Callaway, Ping, that wouldn't hurt. However, the generic brand with bag at Walmart would be just as good.

A bag can be as good or as cheap as you want. Starting out, get something with a pocket a the top and a pocket at the bottom and maybe one long pocket. You can get one like this new at Walmart for $30 or Play it Again Sports or at a garage sale. You could even buy a half set and bag new at Walmart for $95.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

If you have a golf cart, you might as well drive it and use for what's it's intended. If not and you're playing the executives, they don't rent electric carts, you can get a pull-cart for a $1 or carry your bag over your shoulder, that's what the big strap is for. I wouldn't go to a championship course for at least a year, or until you have some idea of what you're doing.

Spend time at the driving range, especially on days when you don't have to use the mats. Hitting off the mats is really not teaching you anything. Hit your irons off the ground and hit your driver off a wood tee you stick in the ground yourself. Go to the driving range for a least a couple of weeks before going to an executive course.

You don't need your clubs serviced. The only service you would ever require would be new grips. That doesn't happen that often, maybe if you don't like the grips on the clubs you have, then have them replaced.

Clothing, you wear athletic clothing. A polo shirt, not the brand but the type, a golf shirt and it must have a collar to play in TV. Shorts, athletic shoes, wait before you buy golf shoes. Starting out with shoes, I would buy the Adidas brand that is like fabric with 3 stripes on the side. They are $59.99 at most golf shops and on sale on Amazon right now for $45. I've got two pair, an off white and a gray pair, and they're comfortable. A golf hat that keeps the sun off your face.

The Villages Florida

GO TO GOOD GOLF SCHOOL. It's once a month at Colony Cottage Rec Center. They will answer a lot of questions that you might have. You could consider signing up for lessons. Take a class group with The Villages Golf School for beginners. I've been playing since 1962 when I was 12.

Last edited by John_W; 10-02-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post

Thanks in Advance!

Frank
I thought you were given pretty good advice on the other thread. Go to the Good Golf School. A lot of your questions will be answered there...by one knowledgeable person, not a bunch of different opinions. Besides many of these questions will have to be answered by you.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I thought you were given pretty good advice on the other thread. Go to the Good Golf School. A lot of your questions will be answered there...by one knowledgeable person, not a bunch of different opinions. Besides many of these questions will have to be answered by you.
I've been to that class and most of these questions wont be answered there. Good class it doesn't address equipment specific questions.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

If you are patient and keep watching the classifieds here and in Craigslist you should be able to find a full set and bag for about $150.

I bought about 100 used balls for $25 bucks. They are average/low average balls but so is my game. Plus I don't care if one goes in the water or gets lost.

Avoid the pro shops for now. You will almost always pay more there. When your game improves they can be useful in fitting clubs to you.

Ready for the "golf is my life" folks to flame me now.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage

Your question is really more difficult to answer than you may realize. Buying used clubs is certainly cheaper than new, especially since you’re not sure you’ll like the game enough to continue. But it’s possible, even likely, that the set you buy may be so ill fitting that it will hinder your ability to learn and enjoy the game. Consider visiting a pro for advice on club parameters that you should look for in a used set. Think of it this way. The club that works well for me at my height would not likely work for someone 6-8” taller, and vice versa. Money well spent.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

WE are new to golf we went to Market of Marion first to look for a golf bag since my wife had a few clubs. Short story I bought a set of clubs and a golf bag at a vendor at Market of Marion for $20. We can't even go out to breakfast for 2 for $20. I figure if I wind up hating the game I'll give the clubs away to a needy youngster.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
WE are new to golf we went to Market of Marion first to look for a golf bag since my wife had a few clubs. Short story I bought a set of clubs and a golf bag at a vendor at Market of Marion for $20. We can't even go out to breakfast for 2 for $20. I figure if I wind up hating the game I'll give the clubs away to a needy youngster.
Beat me to it!
Marion for a used set, and knock them down at least 25% as a negotiation starter.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I think the biggest advantage to buying new clubs is that they will have the latest technology in terms of weight and geometry. You can buy a new set of clubs, including the bag, at Walmart for $95. You can always add a special club or two later, if you want. I would not consider a used set unless they are relatively new. Some people still have 20+ year old clubs that are too heavy and don't have cavity back weight distribution, which was a great improvement in club design.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the biggest advantage to buying new clubs is that they will have the latest technology in terms of weight and geometry. You can buy a new set of clubs, including the bag, at Walmart for $95. You can always add a special club or two later, if you want. I would not consider a used set unless they are relatively new. Some people still have 20+ year old clubs that are too heavy and don't have cavity back weight distribution, which was a great improvement in club design.
I agree with the Walmart thing. All in one and all new, and decent for a beginner. While you're there pick up the tees, balls, ball mark repair tool, cleaning brush............one stop shopping.
Steve
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I would buy a half set, but if the price is good for a full set, then why buy them. I wouldn't spend more than $50 to $100. A half set would be the irons 9, 7, 5, PW, Driver, 3 Wood and putter. Having a SW or 56 degree wedge would be good for sand traps. That's all you need to get by. Go to Walmart and buy a bag of tees, some cheap balls and a divot tool. You can use a coin as a ball marker. The brand of clubs isn't going to matter now until you know something. Going with a good name on used clubs, Taylormade, Callaway, Ping, that wouldn't hurt. However, the generic brand with bag at Walmart would be just as good.

A bag can be as good or as cheap as you want. Starting out, get something with a pocket a the top and a pocket at the bottom and maybe one long pocket. You can get one like this new at Walmart for $30 or Play it Again Sports or at a garage sale. You could even buy a half set and bag new at Walmart for $95.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

If you have a golf cart, you might as well drive it and use for what's it's intended. If not and you're playing the executives, they don't rent electric carts, you can get a pull-cart for a $1 or carry your bag over your shoulder, that's what the big strap is for. I wouldn't go to a championship course for at least a year, or until you have some idea of what you're doing.

Spend time at the driving range, especially on days when you don't have to use the mats. Hitting off the mats is really not teaching you anything. Hit your irons off the ground and hit your driver off a wood tee you stick in the ground yourself. Go to the driving range for a least a couple of weeks before going to an executive course.

You don't need your clubs serviced. The only service you would ever require would be new grips. That doesn't happen that often, maybe if you don't like the grips on the clubs you have, then have them replaced.

Clothing, you wear athletic clothing. A polo shirt, not the brand but the type, a golf shirt and it must have a collar to play in TV. Shorts, athletic shoes, wait before you buy golf shoes. Starting out with shoes, I would buy the Adidas brand that is like fabric with 3 stripes on the side. They are $59.99 at most golf shops and on sale on Amazon right now for $45. I've got two pair, an off white and a gray pair, and they're comfortable. A golf hat that keeps the sun off your face.

The Villages Florida

GO TO GOOD GOLF SCHOOL. It's once a month at Colony Cottage Rec Center. They will answer a lot of questions that you might have. You could consider signing up for lessons. Take a class group with The Villages Golf School for beginners. I've been playing since 1962 when I was 12.
Thank you very much for the informative answer. I do appreciate your advice!

Tags
golf, clubs, learn, set, assume

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.