Looking for a golf instructor

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Default Looking for a golf instructor

It is hard living so close to so many golf courses & not play. I retired from Bethpage LI and played golf on 5 of the most beautiful public golf courses in the USA almost every afternoon after work, $11 play till the cows come home. I got banged up pretty bad at work and gave it up 10 years ago (to much pain)

I would like to find a pro who might be able to reinvent my swing so I could at least play a few of the Executive courses a couple of times a week. Does anyone have experience with a pro who might be able to help me.
Thanks

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 AM

My husband was in the same situation as you. He took the Refresher Golf School at the Golf Academy and is playing like he did 10 years ago. He couldn't say enough good things about Rob Shaffer, the Director of the Golf Academy.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-06-2015, 04:58 AM

Sandra Chester, Golf Your Best in Oxford on 301....the best! I'm sure many will agree.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

So sorry to hear that story. I grew up in East Meadow, grandmother lived in Farmingdale close to Bethpage Park. In the early 70's summer would play 1-17 of the green course, cut over and play 2-17 of the black, then through the woods and finish with 4-18 of the red---48 holes for the then junior weekday rate of $1.75. Now 40+ years later, a herniated disc and rotator cuff injury in the interim, I consider myself lucky to still play. I don't know specific instructors in TV (yet), but most experienced PGA pros will be able to work with physical limitations. My wife has severe fibromyalgia and our pro in NY has been able to help her. I also assume you have tried various traditional and alternative therapies for the underlying pain---pain clinic/chiropractic/acupuncture/herbs/massage/physical therapy---if not, I would give it a try. And before you think that some of these treatment modalities are quackery advocated by nut jobs, I am a board certified internist and professor of medicine at a SUNY medical school, and have seen alternative treatments work---sometimes we have to think outside the box. Good luck and hope to see you on the courses
Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Oxford Golf Center, Sandra and her staff are the best.
After the lessons she also offers 'tune up' sessions. Once the lessons are done, she doesn't forget after about you.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Steve Girard PGA pro and owner of Oxford Golf Center. Very easy going ,great teacher and very good prices. His 30 min lessons almost always run long so there will not be the next person standing behind you waiting for you to finish.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Thumbs up SCester

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&Lsunfun View Post
Oxford Golf Center, Sandra and her staff are the best.
After the lessons she also offers 'tune up' sessions. Once the lessons are done, she doesn't forget after about you.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Thanks for all the help, I will let you know how I do.
Golfing Eagles My kids graduated from East Meadow HS we lived on 2nd St between Franklin & Prospect, then to Bethpage. In the afternoon started off on the Red or Blue depending on the traffic would jump to either the Blue or Yellow. I have a house in the Catskills for 50 yrs that the kids now own but would go up every summer on weekends and play the Nevele, International, TarryBrea so never got bogged down at Eisenhower or Bethpage.
As far as treatment I have tried all of the above, but after 2 knee & 2 hip replacements and a really screwed up back nothing much helps. But I stay active and hope to start playing again.
Thanks Again

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Sage

Mark Panigoni
Miona Lake Golf Club
Home - Panigoni Golf

He specializes in people with back pain and is known as the Bad Back Expert.
He was recommended by my Physio Therapist.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolpterry View Post
Steve Girard PGA pro and owner of Oxford Golf Center. Very easy going ,great teacher and very good prices. His 30 min lessons almost always run long so there will not be the next person standing behind you waiting for you to finish.
Agreed. Great teacher, great guy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.