Loud Music on the Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Default Loud Music on the Golf Course

There have been many threads about proper golf etiquette here in The Villages but I ran across something this last Saturday that was a first for me. While playing Southern Star with a group of friends and neighbors our group was preparing to tee off at the 4th hole when suddenly the quiet morning was interrupted with very loud music. At first I assumed it was from a passing automobile since we were next to the roadway but after looking around we could not see any cars/carts in our vicinity. The music continued and we finally discovered that it was coming from a cart parked next to the green on the 3rd green just behind us which was driven by........wait for it.......one of the Ambassadors! We tried to get their attention to ask them to lower the volume but it was so loud they could not hear us over the music. Rather that create a fuss we just shook our heads and hit our tee shots.

It is not my intention to get anyone in trouble over this lack of etiquette but found it totally against everything I was ever taught about the rules of golf.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,427 Posts

The big question is, how were your tee shots?
Old 07-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

When I hit a shot, there should be absolute silence. And then, loud applause.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
GET IN THE HOLE!!!!

Steve
Old 07-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

16th hole waste management
Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage

I don’t think the ambassador’s carts have radios. Was this his personal cart or did he have a portable device in it? I’m guessing the ambassador probably has a hearing deficiency and doesn’t realize normal volume for him is too loud for the rest of the golfers.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMSr View Post
There have been many threads about proper golf etiquette here in The Villages but I ran across something this last Saturday that was a first for me. While playing Southern Star with a group of friends and neighbors our group was preparing to tee off at the 4th hole when suddenly the quiet morning was interrupted with very loud music. At first I assumed it was from a passing automobile since we were next to the roadway but after looking around we could not see any cars/carts in our vicinity. The music continued and we finally discovered that it was coming from a cart parked next to the green on the 3rd green just behind us which was driven by........wait for it.......one of the Ambassadors! We tried to get their attention to ask them to lower the volume but it was so loud they could not hear us over the music. Rather that create a fuss we just shook our heads and hit our tee shots.

It is not my intention to get anyone in trouble over this lack of etiquette but found it totally against everything I was ever taught about the rules of golf.
And yet you did nothing to resolve the issue. Maybe walked back and discussed with the ambassador?
Old 07-08-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Loud music or any consistent loud sound such as cheering would not bother me. It's the sudden shout or releasing of a cart brake that get to me.

Back in one of the Ryder Cups, one of the players encourages the crowd to keep cheering while he hit his shot. It wasn't a problem for him and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

As long as he sound is fairly consistent.

If you play Hilltop, you will hear the music coming from the country club on the first tee, second green and third tee. It's simply part of the background.

While I agree that a golf course, especially early in the morning, is no place for loud music, it wouldn't bother any one swing as long as it it didn't start of stop in the middle of my swing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default Applause? WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Lucky you. My shots always bought hysterical laughter.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Loud music or any consistent loud sound such as cheering would not bother me. It's the sudden shout or releasing of a cart brake that get to me.

Back in one of the Ryder Cups, one of the players encourages the crowd to keep cheering while he hit his shot. It wasn't a problem for him and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

If you play Hilltop, you will hear the music coming from the country club on the first tee, second green and third tee. It's simply part of the background.

While I agree that a golf course, especially early in the morning, is no place for loud music, it wouldn't bother any one swing as long as it it didn't start of stop in the middle of my swing.
On Hilltop you also have the random occasional blast from fire apparatus pulling out of the firehouse near holes 4,5, and 6!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
On Hilltop you also have the random occasional blast from fire apparatus pulling out of the firehouse near holes 4,5, and 6!
True and there's not much that can be done about that.

I worked at a golf course up north that was situated between two streets that were the main routes to two different hospitals. We would hear the sirens of ambulances al day long. When visitors came and played they would call it "the city of sirens".
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Agree, noise does not bother me in the least. In fact, we like to play Riley at Palmer in the evening and listen to the band playing in Lake Sumter Landing (before Covid 19) across the lake on the last few holes.

Movement, on the other hand, bothers me a lot. I hate playing with people that stand behind me and are constantly moving. Leaving the flag in the cup also bothers me when the wind is blowing and the shadow of the flag is waving in my putting line.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:25 AM
Default loud music on golf course

Face reality the majority of us have hearing aids and could not hear a bomb going off. besides No one I have golfed with are good enough to have talking or loud music make any difference in their swing, especially when they are hitting from the blacks and should be hitting from the friendlies, as most of us should.
enjoy just being out turn down your hearing aids and pura vida
Old 07-22-2020, 11:49 AM
Bikeracer2009

I moved in last summer and one of my first games was at the Volusia course. I was walking and the couple I was teamed up with was in a cart. They both were very overweight, he smoked cigars and she smoked cigarettes, they played loud music and drove their cart to wherever their ball was. On the last hole he parked on the black tee box and waited for me to walk up and play my tee shot. They were talking over the music and blowing smoke across the tee box. I stood there wondering if I was good enough to shank my tee shot into their cart. I barely any room to swing the club and decided to just walk to my car and forget the last hole. He asked if the music was bothering me but I had let go on too long to respond in a calm manner. I could have said something in the beginning and I'm sure they would have turned it off.

About 6 months ago I was playing at Gray Fox with a guy and two women that talked non-stop and were in constant motion and making other noises, hitting the gas in my backswing and fiddling with their equipment. Again, I said nothing. By the time we got to hole 7 I had enough. I was standing over a long putt and they were all standing around me talking. I took a liitle extra time lining up the putt waiting for them to pause their conversation and the guy laughed out loud and said something like "are we distracting you?" I gave him the middle finger and said f u. I picked up my ball and went to another course. Again, I could have asked them to be quiet when it's my turn, stand still and wait until I'm done with my swing before gunning the gas pedal etc. I didn't and that's my fault.

Tiger Woods father used to play music and make noise when Tiger practiced. He told him that if you can't play with distractions then you can't play.

I remind myself of this and challenge myself to become a better player and a better person despite my surroundings.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default No music allowed .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djembe dude View Post
Face reality the majority of us have hearing aids and could not hear a bomb going off. besides No one I have golfed with are good enough to have talking or loud music make any difference in their swing, especially when they are hitting from the blacks and should be hitting from the friendlies, as most of us should.
enjoy just being out turn down your hearing aids and pura vida
on the course coming from another cart. Basing whether or not how good/bad someone is should never determine whether or not music should be played and is an illogical assumption.

You want to hear music when you play then buy a small iPod(or facsimile thereof)and wear blue tooth headphones....Problem solved!
Closed Thread

Tags
music, loud, golf, green, tee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.