Mallory Caroline Course - #5 Hole

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Thumbs down Mallory Caroline Course - #5 Hole

Have no idea how to approach the #5 hole on the Caroline course at Mallory. Any suggestions. #7 also needs a planned approach.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Default just take a doubl and go to 6

Fifth Hole - Play tee shot just left of the bunkers on the right side of the fairway.
From there, you need to know your distances. If your tee shot places you where you are confident you can clear the hazard, then do it. If not, there is a risk/reward setup. Playing a layup toward the left is going to leave a shorter third shot, but is tricky to gauge distance to the hazard. Laying up to the right is safer, as there is more room over there, but you’re third shot is much longer. However, the ground slopes down to the hazard, so don’t overshoot.

There is no doubt that one poor shot generally leads to bad decisions on this hole, and the strokes add up. It is a very interesting hole, but not impossible if you stay within yourself and make good shots.

Regarding seven……don’t ask me. A shorter green (why is the pin always way in the back?) combined with no hazard to the right and thirty more yards before the dropoff to the right and behind the green would help. My own personal bailout is “They gotta have at least one hole for lefties who slice.”
Old 03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Sage

5th-Haven't played it but looks like a real bear from the back tees. good info.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 PM

It's a bear from any tee. A par there is like a birdie.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Sage

I know the type.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 PM

For 7 - hit it over the 3 palms on the left and it should kick right into the fairway; from there a 5 or 6 iron onto the green; 2 uphill putts for par.

PS - I can't do it since I usually put the 2nd shot into the trees on the left or the bunker on that side while trying to keep away from the environmental area on the right..
Old 03-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT
Default Just a thought about asking for advice

Hard to tell someone how to play a hole, when you don't know how they play! Maybe some more info about your game, as in what tees do you play from, how far do you hit your driver, on AVERAGE, NOT how far CAN you hit it.
Tell what handicap you are. Is just impossible to suggest strategies, when you know nothing about the person's game.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.