Speaking of golf - what's with Mallory practice putting thing? :)

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Speaking of golf - what's with Mallory practice putting thing? :)

I admit it. I don't play golf other than miniature golf with the windmills and funny clowns but every morning we walk by Mallory where the putters putter around before playing and all of a sudden they ripped it up down to the dirt and started over. I can't imagine the cost of that job whoever pays for it (not complaining about the cost). But HEY, isn't this just like a waiting room? Before playing you practice your putz? Please explain to me the reason for this major job in what seems to me is just a place to practice before you play.

I know golf is one of if not the top attractions here and just because I don't like it I have no problem with everyone else loving it and I fully understand keeping the courses well taken care of, but this is just a place to wait to play.

It seems to me in the end it will look virtually like it was when they started except for some new palm trees. What was the endgame here?

Last edited by EdFNJ; 04-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Seriously, tomorrow morning stop in the pro shop and ask the folks what's up. Then, maybe you can let everyone know. I can think of a half dozen reasons, all speculation.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Sage

The green is a practice facility, not just a place to wait. I am glad to see it being redone. It’s condition was not good and it is being rebuilt with different contours, drainage design, and grass type.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The green is a practice facility, not just a place to wait. I am glad to see it being redone. It’s condition was not good and it is being rebuilt with different contours, drainage design, and grass type.
I agree. There were many times areas of the putting green had issues and maybe they decided to do something to correct it. The one behind Lopez was redone the same way and now looks better than it was.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Obviously the OP does not understand what a practice green is, which is understandable for a non-golfer. A practice green is not a waiting area, it is also not just a practice area either. It is a green that is supposed to represent the conditions on the golf course. Since every course has different green conditions, it is necessary (if you care about your golf score) to get a feel for the greens on the course you are playing that day in order to be able to put well on the first few holes before you get accustomed to the greens. If a practice green does not represent the rest of the greens on the course, putting on it will do more bad than good during your round of golf. For many golfers, the number of puts taken in a round can represent over 40% of all their strokes. Making or missing a few puts during a round of golf can make the difference between a good or bad round of golf (as far as score is concerned). I for one am glad they are updating the practice green at Malory.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Putting greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Obviously the OP does not understand what a practice green is, which is understandable for a non-golfer. A practice green is not a waiting area, it is also not just a practice area either. It is a green that is supposed to represent the conditions on the golf course. Since every course has different green conditions, it is necessary (if you care about your golf score) to get a feel for the greens on the course you are playing that day in order to be able to put well on the first few holes before you get accustomed to the greens. If a practice green does not represent the rest of the greens on the course, putting on it will do more bad than good during your round of golf. For many golfers, the number of puts taken in a round can represent over 40% of all their strokes. Making or missing a few puts during a round of golf can make the difference between a good or bad round of golf (as far as score is concerned). I for one am glad they are updating the practice green at Malory.
Excellent points made. In my experience here however the practice greens are rarely a similar speed or grass length as the greens on the course. I've found that a bit frustrating. Others may of course have a different experience.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, play, practice, started, playing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.