Many green keepers need to be replaced

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I agree. They can provide better conditions if they want. We need to start complaining to the administration that manages our exec courses. As far as championship, I go elsewhere until the conditions improve, their loss of my revenue.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
Palmer always looks good, gee I wonder how that is possible?? Don't think it is because it doesn't get played a lot because it does- maybe because it is sort of a show piece for all the visitors and we want to give them a good impression??? My point is that they keep Palmer nice because they can and they want to! They could but they don't on the execs- it is as simple as that.
The Palmer course was closed for a few weeks last April because of poor conditions.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I wonder if any of those course have the play that our courses get.
Further every year for the past 15 just about this time folks start complaining(Doc not directed at you), same whining every year. Maybe its because we come out of the dry season around the 24th of May??
You are such a reasonable man. You always manage to get directly to the bottom line.

Excellent post yet again.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Palmer always looks good, gee I wonder how that is possible?? Don't think it is because it doesn't get played a lot because it does- maybe because it is sort of a show piece for all the visitors and we want to give them a good impression??? My point is that they keep Palmer nice because they can and they want to! They could but they don't on the execs- it is as simple as that.
Actually, it's a lot more complicated than that. You can't MAKE it rain. You can't MAKE the grass grow the way you would like. And you can't make every worker do a great job, some of them border on brain dead. All you CAN do is follow a time proven program of green maintenance and water within existing restrictions and cost. But you CAN also make golfers respect the course, drive where they should, fill divots and repair ball marks, and rake the traps. While the ambassadors are not the Gestapo, they should have enhanced authority to deal with those who disrespect the course and make the experience less enjoyable for everyone
Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

The ball marks on the executive course greens drives me "nuts". I really don't mind fixing a couple of other ball marks (I know we have handicap playing golfers) but the need to fix 4 or 5 really is unacceptable behavior for golfers. Education is the answer but as they say "hard to teach ol' dogs new tricks".
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Gold member

I played Sarasota and Volusia this past weekend and I would say that the greens were in great shape. However Volusias fairways had been aerated recently. No problem however.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

When you hire the lowest bidder what do you expect
Old 05-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
When you hire the lowest bidder what do you expect
That's my biggest complaint. In fact the maintenance of the golf courses should not be contracted out. Having our own people on board would give us much better results.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
You can get a tee time any day of he week Dec-May.
That's not a lot of play....................
Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That's my biggest complaint. In fact the maintenance of the golf courses should not be contracted out. Having our own people on board would give us much better results.
I agree it would, but it would also be a tremendous investment in specialized equipment either thru purchase or lease.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The ball marks on the executive course greens drives me "nuts". I really don't mind fixing a couple of other ball marks (I know we have handicap playing golfers) but the need to fix 4 or 5 really is unacceptable behavior for golfers. Education is the answer but as they say "hard to teach ol' dogs new tricks".
If it were up to me it would be a requirement to attend a 1/2 day seminar on basic rules and etiquette before being allowed to play on our golf courses.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Fixing ballmarks is a simple thing to do if you bend over. I always fix my ball.mark and those of others who can't be bothered. I do the same thing in the sand traps. I doubt a class would help.much but maybe if more of us would say something to others maybe we could shame some into doing what is right and polite. Ball marks and divots in teeboxes. drive me nuts. If you are good enough to use the execs as practice for your short game and not use a tee,then you are good enough to use a little sand to repair your divot.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Fixing ballmarks is a simple thing to do if you bend over. I always fix my ball.mark and those of others who can't be bothered. I do the same thing in the sand traps. I doubt a class would help.much but maybe if more of us would say something to others maybe we could shame some into doing what is right and polite. Ball marks and divots in teeboxes. drive me nuts. If you are good enough to use the execs as practice for your short game and not use a tee,then you are good enough to use a little sand to repair your divot.
Agree. Here's a subtle solution for sand traps----about 2 months ago I played with guy whom I noticed did not rake the fairway bunker that he marched thru on the first hole. (I didn't know him, he was in the other cart and on the opposite side of the fairway) So I patiently waited until he hit another trap (didn't take long, it was the second hole) and when he exited the trap I was right there and handed him a rake without saying a word. He thanked me and raked it, and every other trap after that
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I seem to recall when we first moved down to TV that the execs would be closed one day a week for maintenance and recovery. Now it seems that several courses are closed for extended periods of time while the others get overplayed.

I think is was Doc that said it, but the fact we are in a severe drought has not helped the courses. I agree! With normal rain we would have a lot better conditions.

Still, everyone can do their part in keeping the courses in the best possible condition by sanding divots on the tees and FIXING YOUR BALL MARKS on the greens!
Amen to this! I can't tell you how many times in the last month I've watched people take large divots out of tee boxes and have actually seen them traipse through sand traps - they don't even give a thought to repairing their mess, or raking the trap. I try to repair MORE than just my divot or ball mark, each time - I figure it's a 2:10 ratio of people who do/people who don't (the 80/20 rule). And - I figure these are the folks who complain the loudest about the condition of the courses! So it goes in TV...I guess you just gotta roll with it!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Agree. Here's a subtle solution for sand traps----about 2 months ago I played with guy whom I noticed did not rake the fairway bunker that he marched thru on the first hole. (I didn't know him, he was in the other cart and on the opposite side of the fairway) So I patiently waited until he hit another trap (didn't take long, it was the second hole) and when he exited the trap I was right there and handed him a rake without saying a word. He thanked me and raked it, and every other trap after that
He's probably the same jerk I was hooked up with a few months back.

Although I let him slide on the first trap he was in because it was only a few footprints and figured he was ticked off and just forgot, the next time he walked to the middle and back...then got in my cart.

I looked at him and said, "aren't you going to rake the trap?"

He said, "the ambassador will get it."

I then lit into him and said that I play by the rules and when my ball ends up in a footprint in a bunker, I always wished I could find the jerk who didn't think he needed to be bothered raking traps...thereby making my shot that much harder.

Although he got out, raked it and all of the other ones the rest of the round...it was pretty quiet in the cart after that.
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, courses, play, time, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.