My Assessment of Irma Damage to the Courses

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Platinum member
Default My Assessment of Irma Damage to the Courses

The bunkers are the most storm affected elements of the courses. Unless they decide to call them "ground under repair" it will either be a long time before the courses reopen or the slope ratings will go off the charts.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
The bunkers are the most storm affected elements of the courses. Unless they decide to call them "ground under repair" it will either be a long time before the courses reopen or the slope ratings will go off the charts.
Then don't hit into the bunkers
Old 09-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Many of the photos I see show standing water on greens, tees and fairways. Perhaps someone with expertise in golf course management can answer exactly how this affects the golf course. I have observed an abundance of water on golf courses previously and the result was quite damaging especially to the greens.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

A side benefit for many of the courses will be the down will allow for the courses to "rest" and become even better.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
A side benefit for many of the courses will be the down will allow for the courses to "rest" and become even better.
the downside is that the tee time system will become clogged very quickly when the courses re-open so much so that it may crash
Old 09-20-2017, 04:24 PM

Maybe a PGA championship can come here. Water hazards everywhere.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Sage

Mallory looking much better. A couple of spots damaged because they were under water, but from what I see from road, it is getting closer.

Hats off to Mallory, they are out cutting where they can and sanding greens... nice to see folks working the course.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
They will be better right up to the moment some people DON'T USE COMMON SENSE and rut up the still wet areas to drive right up to their ball, to the upslope of the tee boxes and right up to the greens.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
the downside is that the tee time system will become clogged very quickly when the courses re-open so much so that it may crash
I mentioned that to my wife tonight . Probably the best time to get on there is at 12:01pm Friday afternoon.

Last edited by kcrazorbackfan; 09-20-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: wrong time
Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

///
Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
They will be better right up to the moment some people DON'T USE COMMON SENSE and rut up the still wet areas to drive right up to their ball, to the upslope of the tee boxes and right up to the greens.
Does that happen in TV??...........with all the older, wiser Villagers?? I bet it's those sub-55'ers.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

If you haven't seen:

Course Updates

Over the past week, the main focus has been to lower the levels of the water storage basins on the golf courses and throughout the community for your overall safety. This has been primarily accomplished by irrigating the golf courses and roadways. The good news is the golf courses performed exactly as designed and engineered by protecting the community from the large volumes of water received from Hurricane Irma.

By the end of the week, many of our basins will have returned to normal levels and we will be able to begin preparing the golf courses for play. It is our intention to open as many as possible on Wednesday, September 27th. We will be announcing the exact courses that will re-open on Friday, September 22nd at noon. Please stay tuned to GolfTheVillages.com, WVLG, VNN, DistrictGov.org, and the Daily Sun for this information. Please be prepared to make your tee time request on Friday any time after 12pm for tee times next Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. While we are hopeful to be able to open several courses Wednesday, many areas of the community still have very high water levels and the courses will be needed to continue to lower the basin levels. We will open them as soon as the water levels have returned to normal and the courses are both safe and playable.
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, long, time, slope, charts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.