New Golfer Question

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Default New Golfer Question

My husband and I are new golfers. We are looking for a set of clubs and don't know where to start. We do not want to spend a lot of money being this is new to us. Any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM

I would look for a used set or, as I did when I first started out, buy an inexpensive set at a sporting goods store.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Look in the classifieds section of this site. I just bought a complete set and bag for my wife at a great price. Check the site often. You will not be disappointed
Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
My husband and I are new golfers. We are looking for a set of clubs and don't know where to start. We do not want to spend a lot of money being this is new to us. Any suggestions?
My answer is complicated. But I coached golf for 30 something years so I do have some experience.

If money is no object I would go to a pro, get lessons and buy the set he or she recommends from the pro shop. If anything goes wrong, something doesn't feel right, bring it back because you are paying for that kind of VIP service.

Here is the other extreme and this is what I would do. Follow the adds posted here. Copy and paste what they are selling into ebay and see if it's a bargain. This will not be your set of clubs in 6 months. What's most important are the grips and that the man has men's clubs and the woman has woman's clubs. Make sure the grips are not slick and slippery.

Get lessons. Space the lessons out so you have time to practice each skill before advancing to the next skill.

When you are more experienced in 6 months sell the clubs you bought and get a set that feels right to you. As you play ask your foresome about their clubs. They may let you try them out. [or keep the used set for guests]

What's most important in selecting a set is comfort and confidence. Since this is new to you, you have neither right now.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
When I first started out I bought a set of woman's clubs from Dick's Sporting goods for about $149.00. You can hit the clubs at the store to see which set works for you. I still have most of them today (3 years later) and they still work for me. I have added 3 clubs. I bought a 5 wood and 7 wood and a new driver all on Ebay.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Sage

You can also check out the used clubs at the golf academy at Palmer. They sometimes have decent sets for not too much. If they need grips replaced, they can be done there. The staff there is usually pretty helpful, especially to new players.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Check out Dicks Sporting Goods online! I bought a new set of clubs for myself and my wife and they are of decent quality. They even shipped them for free to our villa
Old 01-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions. We were looking at some cheaper in price but wanted to know thoughts. I will use all of your suggestions and yes, I was planning on taking lessons.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.