Not legitimate hole-in-one

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Too bad, it's just a birdie. But, if he only had 14 clubs, he may not have used that club, and would not have made the same shot. Hence, the reason for the rule.
And had it occurred on the third hole, it would have counted.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
And had it occurred on the third hole, it would have counted.
Only if he removed a club before playing the third hole. As I understand the rule, the 2 stroke penalty applies to every hole played using more than 14 clubs.

"The penalty for carrying too many clubs in your bag is two strokes for each hole where a breach of the rule happened. That means if you have 15 clubs in your bag but don't realize until you're playing the second hole, you will receive a four-stroke penalty."
Old 04-17-2020, 01:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Only if he removed a club before playing the third hole. As I understand the rule, the 2 stroke penalty applies to every hole played using more than 14 clubs.

"The penalty for carrying too many clubs in your bag is two strokes for each hole where a breach of the rule happened. That means if you have 15 clubs in your bag but don't realize until you're playing the second hole, you will receive a four-stroke penalty."
Four stroke max penalty for this breach.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

b. Limit of 14 Clubs; Sharing, Adding or Replacing Clubs During Round
You must not start a round
with more than 14 clubs or have more than 14 clubs during the round
If you start a round
with fewer than 14 clubs, you may add clubs during the round
up to the 14-club limit.
When you become aware that you are in breach of this Rule by having more than 14 clubs, you must immediately take the excess club or clubs out of play, using the procedure in Rule 4.1c.
For more information on sharing, adding or replacing clubs, including a limited exception for when you did not cause the damage.
Penalty for Breach of Rule 4.1b: The penalty applies based on when you become aware of the breach:
While playing the hole: The penalty is applied at the end of the hole you are playing. In match play
, you must complete the hole, apply the result of that hole to the match score and then apply the penalty to adjust the match score.
Between two holes: The penalty is applied as of the end of the hole just completed, not the next hole.
Penalty in Match Play - Match Score Revised by Deducting Hole, Maximum of Two Holes:
This is a match adjustment penalty – it is not the same as a loss of hole penalty.
At the end of the hole you are playing or just completed, the match score is revised by deducting one hole for each hole where a breach happened, with a maximum deduction of two holes in the round
For example, if you started with 15 clubs and become aware of the breach while playing the 3rd hole and then win that hole to go three up in the match, the maximum adjustment of two holes applies and you would now be one up in the match.
Penalty in Stroke Play - Two Penalty Strokes, Maximum of Four Strokes: You get the general penalty
(two penalty strokes) for each hole where a breach happened, with a maximum of four penalty strokes in the round
(adding two penalty strokes at each of the first two holes where a breach happened).
Old 04-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Four stroke max penalty for this breach.
Thanks, you are correct. Apparently, he could have played the entire round with 15 clubs, and only incurred a 2 stroke penalty for holes 1 and 2. However, I think he would have had to remove a club when he realized the error.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Your not losing any sleep over this are you.
Does it really matter in the scope of things
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I see all the hole- in- one’s listed in The Daily Sun the past few weeks and wonder seriously you count those under current conditions when they hit the pvc pipe that covers the golf hole. Well, if that makes you feel good, but to me that is not a legitimate hole in one and does not deserve a certificate as such. Personally I’ve seen golf balls hit the hole and bounce a couple feet away. We also found a ball in the hole when we didn’t actually see it roll in because of the hole location to the tee box. Yes, there definitely is some luck involved but as the old saying goes “the harder you work the luckier you get”. Just saying...
Old 04-17-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post

Your not losing any sleep over this are you.
Does it really matter in the scope of things
Yes, it matters. As someone once said about winning at golf, "It's not a matter of life or death, it's more serious than that."
Old 04-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Sage
Default Pretty cool solution

I just happened across this...

A course in Georgia has installed these. Looks like it deals with hole and one issue.

Georgia golf course creates ingenious way to combat coronavirus spread - Golf Digest
Old 04-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I just happened across this...

A course in Georgia has installed these. Looks like it deals with hole and one issue.

Georgia golf course creates ingenious way to combat coronavirus spread - Golf Digest
Simple and brilliant.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyKing View Post
I think one could determine if it would have been a hole in one without the pvc. If the ball bounces more that 6-10 inches, I would not count that as a HIO, but each should use their own judgement and their honor.
Not sure if you are a golfer, but there are plenty of times the ball SHOULD have gone in, and instead it lips out and stops a few inches from the cup. So, I can't agree to count hitting the pipe as a hole in one.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:46 PM

I have been playing golf for 50 years and never had a hole in one.

But since moving to the Villages, I have had many, many, many. This should tell you something.

When I went to get my first certificate, the stack was 1 foot thick and that was just the "C's"

I do not even turn in my hole in one's now. My golf buddy is up to 8. So there you go.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

You all in the Villages are so lucky to have this minor problem. I am stuck up north in Massachusetts and all golf courses in MA, VT, and NH are closed. There are some courses in CT that are open, but very difficult to get a t-time. Also, I heard that some MA golfers were being turned away from the CT courses by police waiting in the parking lots for cars with out of state license plates. And tonight we are supposed to get 5 to 8 inches of wet heavy snow. How I would like to have the problem of determining if I wanted to call hitting a raised cup a hole in one.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

It is a pipe dream if you count it as a hole in one
Old 04-17-2020, 08:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
It doesn't bother me, let them have their day in the sun. For myself, If it happened to me I wouldn't count it.
Steve
I wouldn't count it either. It has to be legitimate. The fact that there is a significant increase in holes in one, eagles, shooting your age, etc. tells you "there's something wrong with this picture."
But the reason why a number of people are claiming a hole in one in this time of social distancing?? They get to claim the hole in one, but they don't have to buy anyone a drink!!!
Old 04-18-2020, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

It is not a hole and one and the Daily Sun should not be reporting it as one. I laugh each time I see a picture in the paper with someone holding their golf ball with a hole in one caption. You hit the PVC pipe, nothing more nothing less!
Closed Thread

Tags
hole, legitimate, golf, hit, location

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.