Not legitimate hole-in-one

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2020, 05:46 AM

Let people enjoy the moment and celebrate, they deserve it. Can’t even high 5.

for me personally.it’s called “HOLE IN one“ for a reason, the first 2 words govern the true meaning

Maybe we need A New cv19 term for the interim, rang the tube, clunk in one, the plastic fantastic.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I just happened across this...

A course in Georgia has installed these. Looks like it deals with hole and one issue.

Georgia golf course creates ingenious way to combat coronavirus spread - Golf Digest
That is so clever, and yet so simple.
Would save a lot of hole damage if implemented in TV.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:06 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
How about this for a scenario? Let's say someone finds the sweet spot on the driver on a short par four starting hole. The ball takes a beautiful drawing path, lands just short of the green and rolls onto the putting surface and into the cup. It is then pointed out to the happy golfer after he has finished leaping and shouting, that he has 15 clubs in the bag and has incurred a two-stroke penalty.
Really? We are not playing in PGA sanctioned events out here? How many clubs you have in your bag doesn’t matter !
Old 04-18-2020, 06:12 AM

Who cares?
The certificate you mention will cost you $95.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:23 AM

It's a hole-in-one, with an asterisk.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:30 AM
Default Not a legitimate hole-in-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
I had one. I did not count it as one and did not report it. I want to take the ball out of the cup.
Yesterday my friend had one, tee shot up in the air, came down INSIDE the PVC pipe next to the pin and stayed there. We have picture to prove.

I'd call that a true HIO.

My hubby had his tee shot hit the PVC and roll away. He did not count that or turn it in.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

I actually hit the PVC pipe on Oakleigh par 4 in two for an Eagle lol felt good but no cigar !
Old 04-18-2020, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
Really? We are not playing in PGA sanctioned events out here? How many clubs you have in your bag doesn’t matter !
Doesn't matter? Sure, you can carry however many clubs you like and have fun---but you're no longer playing GOLF, just a closely related game of something else.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Default Not a legitimate hole-in-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
That is so clever, and yet so simple.
Would save a lot of hole damage if implemented in TV.
That is perfect! Especially, here where it is hard for some men to bend down!

Gotta have those here!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

The USGA has officially ruled that hitting a pipe guarding a hole counts as holing the shot.

So, as bad as it may seem, these are holes in one in the eyes of official golf.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:40 AM

What are the Birdie juice rules on a fake hole-in-one?
Old 04-18-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I see all the hole- in- one’s listed in The Daily Sun the past few weeks and wonder seriously you count those under current conditions when they hit the pvc pipe that covers the golf hole. Well, if that makes you feel good, but to me that is not a legitimate hole in one and does not deserve a certificate as such. Personally I’ve seen golf balls hit the hole and bounce a couple feet away. We also found a ball in the hole when we didn’t actually see it roll in because of the hole location to the tee box. Yes, there definitely is some luck involved but as the old saying goes “the harder you work the luckier you get”. Just saying...
Really in these times , this is what angers you ??? How does it hurt you that some get some happiness from a hole in one?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:00 AM
theruizs

We’re retired and most are just golfing for fun. If you have a more restrictive view, apply it to yourself and let others have their day.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:04 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkcrun View Post
Yesterday my friend had one, tee shot up in the air, came down INSIDE the PVC pipe next to the pin and stayed there. We have picture to prove.

I'd call that a true HIO.

My hubby had his tee shot hit the PVC and roll away. He did not count that or turn it in.
Actually, if he had been playing a PGA tournament, I think it would have counted.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I see all the hole- in- one’s listed in The Daily Sun the past few weeks and wonder seriously you count those under current conditions when they hit the pvc pipe that covers the golf hole. Well, if that makes you feel good, but to me that is not a legitimate hole in one and does not deserve a certificate as such. Personally I’ve seen golf balls hit the hole and bounce a couple feet away. We also found a ball in the hole when we didn’t actually see it roll in because of the hole location to the tee box. Yes, there definitely is some luck involved but as the old saying goes “the harder you work the luckier you get”. Just saying...

if the ball goes into the cup with one swing it's a hole in one

what I don't get is if a golfer makes another why isn't it called a "2 fer 2"

if it happened a third time...use the hockey term "hat trick"

a forth time..."a grand slam" (although the golfing world will have to get approval from Denny's on this one)

if it happened a fifth time "hey I shot a whiskey bottle today"

a sixth time would be referred to as "I shot a six pack"

you see where I'm going with this, right....heck during the Christmas season we could become festive and use the language from the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas"

this would be far more descriptive of what the life time achievement is for any golfer...think of the different trophies that could line the mantel...and it actually sounds more macho, even if you are wearing a flamingo colored shirt, a pair of lemon yellow shorts and a purple hat band when you get your picture in "da paper"
Closed Thread

Tags
hole, legitimate, golf, hit, location

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.