Out of bounds etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

One of the reasons I don't have a home on the golf course. Hard hat area.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:04 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,552 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
Golf balls should not be picked up out of another persons yard. It also says if you break another persons window the golfer is not responsible for it. If you do go into another persons property you are actually trespassing. I also think about 99% of the people dont care if you come into their yard to get your golf ball but dont hit it out of their yard.
This is the most accurate response posted
Old 01-10-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My shots always go down the center of the fairway.

So, this is a non-issue.
I'm terrible at best but never hit a house.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:16 AM

If the ball is easily seen and I don't have to go over any plants, I will usually just go get it and bring it inbounds to hit. Otherwise it is a lost ball and by senior rules you have to take a drop inbounds. Losing a ball is considered penalty enough so you don't lose a shot.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Common sense would be pick up the ball ,play it from the course.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM

I bet if your dog left something in those 1 percenters yards, they would want you to trespass and pick it up!
Old 01-10-2021, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Some golfers are too stupid for words. Most are alright. Hard to tell them apart until the moment they prove you right.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:52 AM

Just use common sense. If you see it and it’s close pick it up. If you have to look for it or it’s near the house, leave it
Old 01-10-2021, 09:02 AM
Default Out of Bounds

Several years ago, a girlfriend of our hit her drive into a backyard while playing Terra. As she walked to retrieve her ball, the apparent owner of the house was standing over her ball and proclaimed that "the ball was on his property and now belonged to Him". Rather than confront him, she walked back to her cart, got another golf ball, and gave it to him saying "here, real men have two of these".
Old 01-10-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
Several years ago, a girlfriend of our hit her drive into a backyard while playing Terra. As she walked to retrieve her ball, the apparent owner of the house was standing over her ball and proclaimed that "the ball was on his property and now belonged to Him". Rather than confront him, she walked back to her cart, got another golf ball, and gave it to him saying "here, real men have two of these".
Ouch!! That's gonna leave a mark.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Golf balls should not be picked up out of another persons yard. It also says if you break another persons window the golfer is not responsible for it. If you do go into another persons property you are actually trespassing. I also think about 99% of the people dont care if you come into their yard to get your golf ball but dont hit it out of their yard.
This is my opinion: if the ball is on someone’s property and you can reach it with your club, then you should pull it out with your club (not hit it), then take the penalty.

If you break someone’s window, hold harmless or not, you should fess up and make a claim under your Homeowner’s insurance to pay for it.

That’s in the spirit of good sportsmanship, isn’t it?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Platinum member
Red face

If one of the guys(including me) hits a ball into someone's yard we will try to get it with a ball retriever. If we can't reach it, the ball stays in the yard.
Playing at Bonifay, on Ft. Walton a person has a sign in their yard that says "Feel free to retrieve your golf ball". Nice. On the other hand playing Bogart executive par 4 hole, if you slice into yards there are signs in several yards that say "KEEP OUT". And they will yell at
golfers who try to get their golf balls.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I've heard the FL law one before. I've also heard that in signing at closing you are agreeing to golfers coming on to your property. Noe it seems that TV doesn't allow it. I wonder which of these three takes precedence.

Can TV rules override FL law?
The fact that you “heard” that in signing at closing you are agreeing to golfers coming on your property is completely wrong.
I live on a golf course and that is not done on closing.
The poster who stated that this is trespassing is correct.
That being said, I am also a golfer who occasionally hits a ball in someone’s yard.,
If it’s close and clearly visible I’ll go pick it up. Most property owners feel the same way.
What we resent is golfers who walk in our flower beds, dig through our bushes and walk on our patios.
You wouldn’t want a neighbor doing that in your landscaping ...don’t do it over some dumb little ball you can’t hit straight.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
If one of the guys(including me) hits a ball into someone's yard we will try to get it with a ball retriever. If we can't reach it, the ball stays in the yard.
Playing at Bonifay, on Ft. Walton a person has a sign in their yard that says "Feel free to retrieve your golf ball". Nice. On the other hand playing Bogart executive par 4 hole, if you slice into yards there are signs in several yards that say "KEEP OUT". And they will yell at
golfers who try to get their golf balls.
That's funny(NOT). Speaking of the One Percenters(and Bonifay), I've played there with my Weds group, and there is a guy on one of their courses(it escapes me which one, but I think it's Pensacola?), and his backyard is full of cameras?! I've never met him, but the guys say he's a real jerk?! He comes out and yells at people, if they get anywhere near his line. You'll know it when you drive by it(he's on the left). FORE!!!
Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I do not care if a golfer comes into my yard to pick up a ball. I certainly do care that he/she pays for a broken window.
Closed Thread

Tags
etiquette, yard, random, balls, picked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.